Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#26182 03-03-2004 06:14 AM
oscar14 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Dan,

I am asking as many questions as I can. The 'lack' of answers in some cases doesnt help, but not all people are sympathetic to somebody who is merely frightened of getting, rather than got. I supose also the way to go is a big question, (I am just pre-emting 'ifs') interms of using complamentry backup.

Also, if you get time Brian, I would really appreciate your opinion of my maxillofacial appointment. I really feel the man thinks i've had the lump ten years, its got to be benign, and is obviously not growing. He therefore thinks it better to leave well alone. The little muscle tale he hopes will act as a reinforcement, and be a genuine aid for my benefit.
Oscar

This post was edited on March 3rd by Brian Hill to remove a link to a web site which while containing some good information was rampant with half truths and scientifically undocumentable ideas.

#26183 03-03-2004 08:15 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Oscar,
I went and looked at the site that you refered to and like the "new age" is full of half truths. It is true that more biopsies are given than necessary for mammography. They are still sorting out the "false positive" rates for different detection schemes. There is also a major push for early detection in mammography and also a congress mandated "Mammography Quality Assurance Act". Comparing this with head & cancer cancer is comparing apples and oranges. Did they mention also that the death rate from breast cancer is greatly diminshed because of early diagnosis?

Squamous cell carcinoma can metasticize quite readily without any "help". Most deaths from the disease occur either from metastesis or "occult" tumors not discovered in the first diagnosis.

With ANY medical procedure there is always a risk/benefit. Some people die from biopsy procedures of various types (I haven't heard of anyone dying from a head & neck biopsy).

When they started (briefly -after the data was in they rolled back their thoughts about the efficacy) enhanced screening for prostate cancer the death rate from biopsy procedures went up 5% - but not because of cancer but because of septic poisoning from the location of the biopsy through the rectal wall.

Oscar I'm going to lay it out straight to you: Quit screwing with this. Get a qualified head & neck surgeon or ENT with a proven track record for head & neck cancer, get the biosy and sleep better at night knowing that you don't a ticking time bomb that will kill you. Procrastination, denial or misdiagnosis has killed more than one person on this site. Let's not add you to the list.

Considering that the death rate is about 50% I don't think any realistic person in the medical profession is going to fault you for your fear so don't let guilt from this cloud your judgement.

DISCLAIMER:
All of information on the good old "information superhighway" is a wonderful thing but full of unvalidated, unscientific opinions, irrelevancy, quack cures and dangerous information, sprinkled in with legitimate information. You practically need a medical degree to sort through it. Brian has a panel of doctors who screen any information that is offered elswhere on the site. Scientific articles and newsbreaking items offered here are subjected to scientific scrutiny before they are offered for public consumption.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#26184 03-03-2004 09:06 AM
oscar14 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks Gary,

#26185 03-03-2004 09:48 AM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Another view of the same subject: In the case of head and neck cancers (SCC), often the first indication or symptom of the disease is a lump in the neck. This lump is not usually the cancer primary site (it is not the tumor) Instead it is a lymph node that is attempting to trap and contain the already spreading cancer cells. I suppose there is a risk of releasing the cancer by puncturing the node, but it is far less risky than general surgery to accomplish the biopsy. Not every lump is cancer.

The issue is really fairly easy and logical. If you do biopsy and it is not cancer then no harm done. If it is cancer then you know and are able to proceed immediately with treatments which in my opinion will give you the best chance of winning.

Better results long term are with early diagnosis and treatment. Watch and wait are not words to use when dealing with oral cancers. (probably any cancers)

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.
#26186 03-03-2004 12:53 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Oscar, also for what it's worth, when I had my recurrance I had gone to both the ENT and Oncologist with a lump in my neck a couple of times, and they both thought it was nothing. Finally a second ENT who specializes in head and neck cancers and was actually the first ENT's professor in college, took a look at it, and insisted on PET/CT. Even after PET/CT showed it as a hot spot, the first two just thought "infection" and gave me antibiotics. Only after follow up PET/CT a month later followed by a needle biopsy did they finally know it realy was malignant and did a second neck dissection.

Thing is, quit fooling around with maxillofacial surgeon, (don't tick him off though, they can be real good at putting you back together after the primary surgery) and see a good head and neck ENT.

Good luck. Another Man United fan.
Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#26187 03-03-2004 02:02 PM
oscar14 Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank You Mark, and JetAgedHobo

I feel humble, but not defeated. M.U. fans in far away, but friendly places, God Bless.
Oscar

#26188 03-03-2004 06:41 PM
oscar14 Offline OP
OP Offline

Weird type of feeling when you have some thing edited. Its a first for me, and I am sorry for it.
Oscar

#26189 03-03-2004 06:58 PM
oscar14 Offline OP
OP Offline

After my weird feeling above, I just want it to be known there is nothing wrong with me. Its everybody else :rolleyes:

#26190 03-04-2004 05:53 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Oscar, since there are no posted rules, you could not have known, but if it is any consolation, my day starts out at least 3 times a week by taking posts down that are put up in the night by some company or profiteer who wants people to buy his miracle cure, travel to Mexico for treatments that have no documentation and more. We try to keep the information correct. Given that, realize that there is a lot that we don't know, and that includes the doctors that are researchers that I pass things by. We don't delete everything... Our first concern is that we don't perpetuate myths, unproven remedies, or comments that are scientifically incorrect whether by private individuals or by doctors themselves. And this should make you feel better.... two months ago I had one of the doctors that reads our board call ME up and tell me that I was inaccurate in my statistics and information, and who sent me the most current peer reviewed article asking me to correct the posting that I had put up. So you are not alone in getting edited.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#26191 03-05-2004 05:13 AM
oscar14 Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi Brian,

Your concerns are well founded. With hindsight I would not of used the link.

Oscar

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37