Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
gita Offline OP
Senior Member (75+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (75+ posts)

hi all,
thanks for your responses. we're settling with a medical oncologist as primary physician. we've decided that if there is going to be any more surgeries involved the decision should be made through a multidisciplinary consultation unlike the first time when the surgeon pretty much acted on his own. live and learn. what i don't quite get is why you have to pay such high price for what you learn. i keep thinking there needs to be a manual to guide people through these processes, and i believe people who have first-hand experience are the best to write it. i've learned much more from reading posts on this board than i did from all the material i'd read on various medical establishment documents. thanks again.

be well.

gita

sister diagnosed 11/03 SCC maxilla keratenizing stg IV T1N1Mx; 4-7 positive lymph nodes; dissection 12/03 left upper pallette removd; radiaton left side 35 sessions 2/04-4/04; recurrence same side 4/04; chemo began 5/04 incl cisplatine, 5fu, taxotere
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Gita-

You're not kidding there should be a REAL manual! In Ed's case (Uptown's my other half), we came across many a stumbling block and black holes of information. We (I say that like I had something to do with it, sorry!) endured some horrible side effects and fear and frustration until one day I very nearly laid on the floor screaming (since Ed was too doped up on duragesics and radiation brain fry - not to mention it made me feel like I was being pro-active instead of a spectator) telling them I just KNEW Ed wasn't the first to have some of these symptoms... He had third degree burns weeping from countless radiation treatments that they threatened to stop if it got "too bad". Suddenly they pulled out this mini aresenal of single copied pages with a tidbits of information. I found that for a mere three bucks, I could have spared him the anguish (and nights of sobbing from the severity of pain). Imagine! A thing called Domboro Soak! In our case it was a miracle!

My list goes on and sometimes I think about how rotten a caregiver I was that I didn't know/follow up faster or more thorough so I could spare him and others.

Now I'm sort of on a mission now to be a patient advocate. In a lot of ways Ed's been SO blessed and in turn, me too.

Susan

Caregiver to Uptown/Ed, SCC Stage IV, Base of tongue - Completed Chemo (Cisplatnin/5FU) and 45 days' simultaneous Radiation 10/08/03
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

They DO have a manual - it's called "Living Well With Cancer" by Katen Moore and Libby Shmais. They are both oncology advice nurses and do a pretty good job of telling you what to expect and how to cope with it. They really cover it well. I found the book invaluable. I am sure that there are others but this one worked well for me. They even cover alternative treatments as well (from an adjunctive perspective).

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

The book Gary likes is available in 1-2 days from Amazon, use the link at the top of the first forum page to get to Amazon, and it helps the foundation. $14.95. While I haven't read it, Gary's recommendations have been really good in the past.

Amazon.com
The cruel irony of cancer treatment programs that cause additional pain--both physical and psychological--prompted two concerned women to write Living Well with Cancer. Oncology nurse practitioner Katen Moore and medical researcher Libby Schmais present a comprehensive resource for those who suffer from mild to severe side effects of chemotherapy, radiation, and drug treatments associated with cancer.

Conversational yet never wordy, their extensive

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics