Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

My son has had a lump on his upper gums, above one of his front two teeth, for at least 4 weeks. The dentist today referred him to an oral surgeon for a consultation regarding a biopsy. Of course as a worried mother I was hoping to learn more about what it might be and what questions to ask at this appointment but found very little information on the internet besides this site! (They fit him in right away Monday Nov 3, 2003)

I noticed it first about 4 weeks ago, and know for certain it was not there at his last dental appointment about 4 months ago.

How it looks: approximately 4-ish centimeters across, smaller at base at top of gums "hanging" to a couple of centimeters above the baby tooth. It's wider at the base and can actually be slightly lifted up. It almost looks like a fleshy tooth above his baby tooth. The xrays look good according to the dentist. There is no pain.

It's very hard (almost rubbery) and clearly not a cyst. It's about the same color as the gums and only appears slightly redder at the upper base. Its shiny and smooth in appearance.

After reading most of the posted messages here I'm guessing that this may be different than what you're dealing with. I admire the strength you all demonstrate and am particularly struck with the intelligence of the posts!

However, if anyone has any information about this lump or suggestions on how to be proactive in the meeting with the oral surgeon it would be so very much appreciated!

Amy

OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

While what you are dealing with certainly needs examination and an answer as to what it is, I think you can rule out an oral squamous cell carcinoma. The youngest person I have ever read or heard of that has had one was in their late teens. I just did a Medline search and found no reported cases in children in the literature. Hopefully you will find this to be something easily treatable and not serious. While I have not searched every medical database, I hope that this posting gives you some peace of mind till your appointment. When you visit the doctor, have him consider various forms of epulis ganulomas or fibromas in his differential diagnosis. These things are all benign, occur in children the age you have described, and from your description MAY be worth consideration. As you are no doubt aware, from a description over the web it would be difficult for anyone to diagnose exactly what this may be.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
OP Offline

Thank you for such a fast reply. I am truly impressed with your dedication to this site and you helped my peace of mind immensely.

I'd like to wish everyone the best in their recovery and let you know I plan to return. This disease gets so little attention, I would like to contribute to the cause!

Amy

Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Amy:

Please let us know how things turn out with Alex. The best way you can help us is to spread the word about the risk of oral cancer to your family and friends and make sure your dentist gives you and those you love a careful screening at each annual dental visit.

While I know it is traumatic for a young child to have a biopsy, congratulations to your health care provider for being conscientious enough to investigate fully and err on the side of caution despite the unlikely result of malignancy.

Loking forward to hearing from you again,

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Amy,

I am also a mom (two girls 5 and 9)- I know what it is like to worry for your child - I just wanted to give you extra support - I'm sure things will be fine - Remember when in doubt get a second opinion for peace of mind (it never hurts)- My thoughts are with you and your son - Please let us know the outcome.

Sue

OP Offline

You are all so kind, thank you for your responses. Alex had his surgical consult yesterday afternoon, and thankfully the surgeon thinks it's completely beneign. He thinks that they will even be able to remove it under a local anesthesia!

My eyes really have been awakened in regards to watching out for this, and I am grateful. A large number of the people I love smoke, and I will make sure they know some of the warning signs and to talk to their dentists about checking. It would be better if all quit - but at least they can have the information to be more aware of what it's doing to their health.

Best to you all, I appreciate all the responses, it allowed me to have a calm attitude with the surgeon yesterday.

Amy

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users