Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25827 05-07-2003 12:55 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I am back again. I know I said that I would wait until tommorrow afternoon when I had my diagnosis, but I cannot! It is horrible, this waiting to see the doctor, waiting for a definitive diagnosis, waiting for tests, etc. I keep coming up with many questions for you guys, but I do not want to keep posting each time a new thought enters my mind. So, I have tried to subdue myself by going onto various websites for info, but I keep returning here because you guys are just so darned smart. Before I ask anything, I want Brian to feel free to reply to my postings (LOL Brian!). Anyway, I am just so nervous about what the doc will say. When I go to the Oncologist and he gives me the diagnosis I am suspecting, I am assuming I will need surgery to remove this base of the tongue lesion and my swollen lymph node. Who does the surgeries? Oncologists or do they consult a surgeon? I hope the ENT does not do it, or else I am finding someone else. Also, what have you guys found to be the "norm" in treatment for Base of Tongue cancer that has spread to atleast one lymph node? I want to go to this doc tommorrow and give him the impression that I want to take charge of my treatment and I want to have an idea of what I should expect as a treatment option, etc. If I hear him say something tommorrow that just does not sound right, atleast I will know it off the bat! Thanks for your help guys. Hope to get some replies by tommorrow afternoon.
Desiree'

#25828 05-07-2003 04:55 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Desiree',
It's ok to ask the doctor for meds to quell the anxiety - I did and I'm sure that many here have. Don't assume anything yet or you WILL drive yourself nuts. I went in, assuming that I would have an abcess drained to being told that I had a good possibility of dying. Passed out on the spot! The oncologist usually handles and coordinates the chemotherapy aspect of your treatment and manages all of the other drugs you will be taking. I am surprised that you would get the Dx from him. The ENT (sometimes Head and Neck Surgeon) is usually the primary doctor (when not in chemo) and will be doing most of the followup visits and long term monitoring. The Radiation Oncologist manages the Radiation Therapy aspect. Usually there is some degree of coordination from the three. IF surgery is required you be be refered to a Head and Neck surgeon. I believe that most ENT's are surgeon also. Neither form of oncologist performs surgery.
These are the tops docs in the usual treatment plan. There will be many other persons in your "team". The doctors should outline all of your treatment options and the risk/benefit associated with each. Then you get to choose. It's not that we're smart -we just have compassion for people who are scared out of their wits and are wearing the same moccassins as we are. Don't forget to breath -a little prayer wouldn't hurt either... PS take good notes, or tape record it. Better yet, bring a good note taker with you -extremely important, and doctors usually talk pretty fast.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#25829 05-08-2003 12:54 AM
OP Offline

Gary-
Thanks for your reply. For starters, I was taking Zoloft after I had my daughter and for a while after I had my son for anxiety issues and it did work well, but the side effects were bad when I went off of it, even though I weaned myself more slowly than even the docs recommended. As for the ENT bit, I am not happy with the quality of care I recieved from this guy that I went to for my biopsy, never wanted to tell me the truth, or what he REALLY thought for that matter. Maybe because I am 24 and he does not want to be the one to diagnose me, but unfortunately the pathologists report came back questionable from the biopsy and my ENT did not want to misdiagnose me (even though he was sure it was an early SSC base of tongue). SO, long story short, I see the Oncologist today and he will look at the slides of my biopsy and give me his verdict. I made a decision to get a babysitter for my children and leave them home. I am thinking that as soon as someone sees them, they feel like they can't tell me the truth, for fear of me getting upset in front of them or because they feel bad for me. I don't know if this is true, but I am thinking that way. Well, if my diagnosis is cancer, I am going to have to see a new ENT that treats me like a human and addresses my concerns!! I hope the Oncologist will understand about me seeing someone new. If he does not, guess I am going to another Oncologist too! Thanks for your input, it was much appreciated!

#25830 05-08-2003 01:10 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Rah! Rah! Desire!!!

I can't agree more about changing doctor's to one you are comforatable with. Been there - didn't do that and am sorry...One of my favorite docs was not warm and fuzzy but straight to the point and looked me in the eye. I found another warm and fuzzy that would still look me in the eye and shoot staight - so between the two I don't get a pat on the head and told it will all be Okay like I used to.

As you have read there are different protocols that are followed surgery/radiation - radiation only - chemo/surgery/radiation. Past tongue cancer patients can tell you what they went through, but everyone and their doctors are different. That's why so many people recommend a multi disciplinary hospital approach. You get the benefit of all the different specialties input as to the best treatment for you.

You have read around this site and I'll sure you can discuss intelligently (have a list of questions ready) all your options.

But I agree - take someone with you or a tape recorder. As much as you think you are ready for whatever they say - it still is too much to take in at once and remember all.

Good luck and be sure and come back to let us know what's happening.
Dinah

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users