Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
WZ Offline OP
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi, friends who have gone through radiation treatment !

My radiation treatment ended on Nov. 22, 2002. I did not have PEG tube put in. The RAD treatment has done a lot damage to my throat (maybe I was ultra-seneative to RAD) Toward the end of the treatment, I could not eat anything but to drink 3 to 4 cans of "Fibersource HN" per day (a medical food) with the help of a liquid compound prescriped by my RAD Oncologist. The liquid would numbed my throat for the "meal".

For the first three weeks of Dec, my throat hurts very badly and I had to take Oxycontin 60mg/day and Endocet (3.25/500) to overcome it. Toward the end of December, I could eat some soft food such as chicken noodles and cream of mushroom etc, but I have to add a lot of water to make them tasteless as anything sweet or salty would cause a lot pain to my throat, even fat free milk would hurt.

I had Hyperbaric Oxygen treatment since Jan 6, 2003 which has helped the tissues in my throat to heal considerably. Now, I can eat almost eat and drink anything I used to (no spice food, I never like them). Milk, sodas are no longer problems either.

However, I still have the sensation as if I have "sore throat" when I swallow things. (no more burning pain) I just want to hear from those who have gone through the process to tell me how long it would take to feel the normal throat after 30+ rond of radiation, thanks

WZ

WZ | Stage 4, Tonsillar Cancer Aug, 2002

hi WZ,

i'm 15 months out from 35 rad treatments with chemo. my thoat is still tight and eating soft foods has only recently started. i continue to see gradual improvement, so i smile and do neck workouts.

The good news that i hear from docs is that swelling from RAD continues to subside, but it can take up to 2 years!

To learn to eat again, i went to eating school with a speach therapist twice a week for 10 months. This really helped me. They are trained professionals who have great ideas on how to jump start us for eating.

good luck and appreciate that it may take quite awhile.

on the other hand, i met a fellow who had throat cancer and had to have his throat closed off to swallowing. he uses a PEG and has a great spirit and lots of smiles. he is awaiting the day that science advances allow docs to rebuild his throat. on going research hopefully will get there someday soon.

cu,
larryb

Stage IV SSC of mouth&throat found July 01. Simutaneous 35 rad & chemo finished Oct 01. Peg worked fine. Clear ct's & MRI's so no surgery. Eating school Jan-Nov 02. Nonsmoker. Back to biking and kayaking now that strength returns.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

To WZ, my case is rather similar to you. I didn't have tube feeding either. After 48 rounds of radiation, I couldn't eat solid food for about two weeks. Then I started with congee (i.e. rice cooked with a lot of water), noodle in soup and cereal. Gradually I could eat minced fish and meat and vegetables. Then I took a lot of fish congee, three times every day.That should be about one month after treatment.Swallowing was not a big problem but there was mouth sore and the throat hurt.It was not until about two months that the sore throat gradually faded. I had taken painkillers during treatment and two months post treatment. Six months after completion, I could eat almost all kinds of food except spicy one or hard ones like nuts. Eating sandwiches is not an issue now provided that every bite goes with a sip of water. So be patient, eating will become better gradually.

Karen, Stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in Sept.01 with concurrent radiation and chemo therapy completed in Dec.01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics