Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#25472 11-20-2002 03:59 AM
OP Offline

Just wanted to check in. I went to my otolaryngologist yesterday. He was very nice and had a great bedside manner. I took my CT slides with me. He said they look great, did a direct laryngoscopy and felt around on both sides. Everything checked out okay. He suspects glossopharangial neuralgia but needs to rule everything possible out. He is going to schedule an MRI as he said that makes for a better look of soft tissue. I'll keep you posted. I'm starting to feel a little more hopeful about this. I just can't believe that nothing can be seen back there. I feel it, for sure. I guess if it is a nerve condition, I can understand.

#25473 11-20-2002 07:19 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

That is very positive news, Adam, and I can speak for everyone here when I say we are happy for you. Ours is a club you most definitely do not want to join. Nerves are tricky things. I know after the surgeons got done in my mouth, I would swear I was sticking my tongue out, when it would not have moved at all. Not the same thing, but I do know that something you "feel" may not be there at all, which would be great news. Hang in there!
Joanna

#25474 11-24-2002 01:26 PM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Adam, Joe Nameth once said the scariest part about having pain is not knowing what's causing it. Sounds like that's what you are going through, and you've managed to focus on the possibility of having cancer.

Good thing from all this is that you've managed to uncover other things, like the deviated septum problem, etc.

After I read the part that there might be wisdom tooth problems, as well as periodontal issues, I immediatly went back to my own problems with my wisdom teeth and rememberd that some of the pain caused by the tooth showed up in totally odd places, and would start arguments between myself and my doc. Turns out there's a lot of nerves in that area, and the pain follows the nerve.

I know it's real difficult, but don't let the unknown cause you to loose sight of the big picture. Sounds like everyone has told you some pretty positive things so far. Keep the spirits up. Bob

SCC Tongue, stage IV diagnosed Sept, 2002, 1st radical neck dissection left side in Sept, followed by RAD/Chemo. Discovered spread to right side nodes March 2003, second radical neck dissection April, followed by more RAD/Chemo.
#25475 12-10-2002 09:46 AM
OP Offline

Just wanted to post an update. I had an MRI of the neck done on Nov 27. It was a soft tissue study. There was nothing remarkable about the scan. SO, this alleviates my fear of throat cancer. Now I go back on the 17th to my otolaryngologist to look at the next step. I'm thinking that next they will probably do an MRI of my right jaw/face. Perhaps they will do an MRI of the sinus. I know I had a CT done there but MRI appears to be much more defined. My suspicions are starting to turn to either a problem with my teeth or salivary glands. I'll update you all when I find something new! Be blessed and I'll keep you all in my prayers.

#25476 12-10-2002 04:33 PM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Hi Adam:

Great to hear from you again. I've been following all of your posts and while I regret that you don't have a definitive diagnosis as yet, I am pleased for you that no news is good news.

Please keep us posted.

Best,

Kim

kcdc
Wife of Dave,diagnosed with Stage III Tonsillar SCC,August '02
Modified radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy
'There is glory and radiance in the darkness and to see we have only to look"
#25477 01-29-2003 08:28 AM
OP Offline

Just wanted to check in. I apologise for not doing sooner. I had an MRI in Nov of the neck. Everything was clear there. I had about a month and a half of peace of mind. The past 3 weeks my nose, the same side as the problems, has been very numb, making my teeth numb at times. Not only that but my jaw has been getting progressively worse on that side as well. Started out as a little popping and cracking when I would chew at the start of the day. Now my jaw is sore and my teeth feel out of place and numb on that side, especially my upper teeth directly below my nostril. The funny think is that the pain in my throat/back and underneath of tongue intensifies when I make my jaw pop. So does the facial numbness. I'm making a return visit to the Otolaryngologist next tuesday. Hopefully he will do an MRI on my face/jaw asap. I had a CT of that area done in August and it was clear, except for deviated septum and nasal polyps. This tooth numbness is the weirdest sensation. It's sort of like when they spray the numbing solution in your nose prior to a direct laryngoscopy. I'll keep you posted.

#25478 02-05-2003 01:44 AM
OP Offline

Well I went back to my otolg yesterday. He said that he wants to put me under and do some investigative surgery on my nose and sinus, removing the polyp and sending it to the pathologist. He said that in his opinion "everything is cancer until proven otherwise" so he wants to rule out every possibility. He is concerned about the numbness in my teeth and the involvement of nerves altogether. There is a cancer called Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma that travels along the nerve paths. I really like this doctor, guys. He is very thorough and takes nothing for granted. Also, the MRI I got at the end of Nov was indeed of my neck and face/sinus. The report is fine but he said that these things don't always show in CTs and MRIs so he wants to be sure and the only way to do that is to directly inspect it. He is also sending me to an oral surgeon about my TMJ. Just wanted to let you guys know, if you are folling this at all, that I think about all of you constantly and am keeping you in my prayers. I think that God send me to this guy, I'm sure of it. I think that he is constantly at work and faith in him does wonders for your state of mind.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics