Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25321 07-19-2002 10:30 AM
Sandra Offline OP
OP Offline

My biopsy results came back (for my tongue lesion) as "severe" pre-cancerous. The oral pathologist said that there are
three categories: mild, moderate and severe. I am going to see an oral surgeon to have the lesion on my
tongue removed. At that point they will biopsy it again and there is the possibility that it is cancerous. The oral pathologist said that
the lesion is "severe" right now and would turn into cancerous within a matter of months probably. I asked whether my sore throat could be related
to my tongue and the oral pathologist said that the tongue lesion would probably not cause the sore throat. Does anyone have any advice or information.....specifically
with respect to whether the tongue lesion could cause the sore throat? Thank you in advance.

#25322 07-20-2002 03:43 AM
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

Sandra, I not sure what I can add here, but let me give you my experience. I was biopsied three times in nine years and told that the areas were pre-cancerous. But dumb me, just continued on with my life style thinking "Hey, it is not cancer." I will admit that I tried four or five times to quit smoking and then something would upset my life, and I would start again. By the way it was always the same two spots, left side of my tongue and the right floor of my mouth. I would push off my check ups and when I finally went in July of 2000, my doctor told me the places looked angry again, and I went in for my fourth bio. This time it was cancer not just pre-cancer. So there for the operation in September of 2000. I'm not sure if this helped, but if you want to write me direct my email is [email protected]. Keep the faith and all will turn out well. Take care. Anne.

Anne G.Younger
Life has never been better.
#25323 07-20-2002 04:24 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Sandra.....About the only thing that I can add to what Annie said is that if you're a smoker QUIT! TODAY! IF you don't, you can almost be assured a mouth ful of cancer somewhere down the road. But like many of the previous posters stated, you can live with pre cancerous lesions forever without them turning into cancer. Continue to pay attention to your mouth and if you notice a change get to the dentist/ENT immediatiely. Try not to worry...if it isn't cancer, you have nothing to worry about other than to keep a watch ful eye.
Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#25324 07-20-2002 10:47 AM
Sandra Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you for your replies. I am a 30 year old non smoker and non drinker.......just
"unlucky" according to my doctor. My only concern is my sore throat and the discomfort I feel
when talking. Can my sore throat be caused by my pre-cancerous tongue lesion?

#25325 07-20-2002 11:18 AM

Sandra, I'm no Doctor, but I don't see how a pre-cancer on your tongue could cause a constant sore throat. I would suggest going to an ENT for some consultation. Take care. Anne.

Anne G.Younger
#25326 07-20-2002 01:45 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Sandra,

I haven't *met* another Sandra for years; now suddenly they seem to be everywhere!

Whether the sore throat is related to your tongue lesion or not is not the point. Your sore throat is obviously causing you a great deal of worry. You don't need more worry. If I were you I would insist (squeaky wheel and all that) that a doctor look at your throat carefully, not necessarily as part of the lesion problem but as a health concern in itself.

If you don't have someone accompanying you to the doctor's office and going in with you, find someone. That person can act on your behalf and ask for information and clarification at a time when you are too anxious to be your strongest self. Also two sets of ears are better than one.

Get an answer from someone about your throat! It is not silly.

Sandra
My mother's caregiver
Diagnosed 6/02 (at 84) with Stage 2 tongue cancer; surgery 7/02
Diagnosed June 03 with recurrence of tongue cancer and cancer of soft tissue under ear
#25327 07-21-2002 05:58 AM
Sandra Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for all of your replies. I have another question about the removal of the pre-cancerous lesion on my tongue....any idea of whether I should have it done in a regular dentist chair (with numbing) or be sedated? Can the oral surgeon do as good of a job with just mouth numbing and me sticking out my tongue as far as possible (I have some areas that are quite far back and I want the oral surgeon to get a good look and have good access to the rear of my tongue).

#25328 07-21-2002 09:59 AM

Sandra, All of my Bio's were done as outpatient surgery. I was not just under topical anestheia. They reason I had them done in the hospital is that they lasered the lesions off. Not sure how others have had it done, but that is the way mine was done. Quick and basically painless, Hope this helps. Take care Anne.

Anne G.Younger
#25329 07-23-2002 02:05 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I had a non-cancerous lesion removed by a laser procedure in my ENT's office about 7 years ago (7 years after my original cancer and 6 years before the cancer returned). The procedure was pretty simple, they gave me a local anesthetic but also a valium IV. It wasn't the most pleasant but I was able to tolerate the procedure (and it was nothing compared to what was to come!) I was also "unlucky" - 32 year old non smoker non drinker at the time of my first diagnosis.

ilene
SCC stage 1 1987, 1/4 of tongue removed, neck dissection, SCC stage 3 2000, another 1/4+ removed second neck dissection, radiation.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics