Next Thread
Print Thread
#249 08-28-2002 03:09 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi-

I would like to hear when most of you were scheduled for your post-treatment check-up.

My mother's rad onc wants to wait a month for CT and check-up. This seems a bit long to me. On the other hand, her pulmonoloigst (she has a suspected primary lung cancer also) will be seeing her the last day of treatments with a CT and discussion of what we should do next. That's what I like to hear.

Anyway, just curious as to when others had their first follow-up. And, yes I am aware that even though the delivery of radiation is complete, there is residual radiation that continues working. But I find it hard to believe that this residual makes that much difference in determining the success of the treatments.

Thanks.

Cynthia

#250 08-28-2002 03:41 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi,
My sister had a 2 month wait(to heal from the radiation) cancer of tonsils. She just had the check-up, xrays last week and so far so good. She is cancer free. It seemed like a very long wait to me also, but her oncologist said that the area that was radiated is like mush and needs to heal before making an accurate diagnosis.

#251 08-28-2002 07:56 PM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Cynthia......My first check up was exactly one month after I finished RAD, and I believe that appointment was with my Radiology Onoclogist and shortly thereafter I saw my ENT. After that, I was scheduled for a quarterly CT scan, a visit to both my ENT and Onocologist along with quarterly blood work done. After five long years they just gave me the OK for a chest xray every six months and at that time blood work drawn and a visit with my onocologist. However, I still see my ENT on a quarterly basis. Hope that helps. Glad to hear your Mom is doing OK! I look forward to reading your posts just to see how she is coming along. Sincerely, Donna

SCC first time 1989, with a diagnoses of 'cancer in situ' removed lesion, no other treatments.
SCC recurrence 1997 of tongue and floor of the mouth. Stage III /IV Hemmiglossectomy (removed over 60% of tongue/ floor of the mouth), free flap, modified neck, RAD and Chemo(cisplatin, 5fu) simutainously.
Cancer free 6, yes, six, years!
#252 08-28-2002 11:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks ladies. I wanted to make sure that my mother's oncologist wasn't being lax.

Congrats Donna on your 5 years! Glad to hear you are doing so well!

Cynthia

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics