Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#25194 03-19-2002 12:21 PM
Element Offline OP
OP Offline

5{e Dentist the other day, and they discovered two very white patches of skin where my wisdom teeth were removed. (They were removed about 15 years ago). The white patches are about the size of a pencil eraser on both sides of my lower jaw, and they look like dead skin, they aren't raised, or anything else. The Dentist said not to worry about them. He took a measurement and said if they grow he'll have a biopsy done. Has anyone here ever had a symptom like this, should I be worried at all?

#25195 03-19-2002 12:22 PM
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder

Leucoplakias need to be checked out, since sometimes they can be the precursors to a dysplasic change and malignancy. They don't always "grow". A simple brush type biopsy would put your mind at rest. It is painless, takes about 4 minutes, can be done in the dentists office, and is inexpensive. What this dentist has told you, I often refer to as "being treated with watchful neglect." Some guys will watch things for years until they finally develop into a cancer that my gardener could diagnose. Get another dentist to do the brush biopsy and be sure what's what.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
#25196 03-19-2002 12:22 PM
Element Offline OP
OP Offline

That's what I was thinking.
I was shocked to see such pale skin in my mouth when they showed them to me. And I was equally shocked when they didn't do a biopsy. I'm scheduling another visit just so I can get an answer without waiting to see if it changes or not. I'll post the results when I receive them.

#25197 03-19-2002 12:23 PM
Element Offline OP
OP Offline

I went and saw the best Maxillofacial Surgeon in town. He gave me a complete oral exam. He found two bumps in my mouth, one about the size of a pea, the other a bit smaller. He also examined the white patches where my wisdom teeth were. He said that it was scar tissue that has been agitated by various things and should go away. He said the bumps are nothing to worry about either, he said they are bumps caused by my crooked teeth. He said there was no need for a biopsy, but I should get braces to keep my teeth from damaging the tissue in my mouth. I have decided to go back every six's months. It only cost $40.00.

Thanks for the advice, but I couldn't find anyone around here that uses the brush biopsy, but I did some reading up on it and it sounds like a good deal. Right now it's all surgery around here.
I do feel a little more relieved now that I had a second opinion.
I guess for the time being I will have to trust the Surgeon.
I like this website and think it's a great source of information. And out of the dozens I looked through on this subject, I found this to be my favorite.

#25198 03-19-2002 12:24 PM
OCF Founder
OCF Founder

Going to see the oral surgeon was a smart move. And his explanation of the white patches as scar tissue seems logical, I don't know how long it has been since you had that surgery. But you have taken a proactive position on all this, and that will make you a winner in the process whatever you encounter in your future. I'm surprised to hear that you couldn't find a dentist that did the brush biopsy. The company that makes the Oral CDX Brush, (Oral Scans Labs), and the company that provides them to dentists (Sullivan Schein), have done a lot of marketing of them and the brush has been around for several years. More than that, the companies provide them for FREE to dentists, you only have to pay for the laboratory fee if they are used. Sounds like some of the docs in your neck of the woods need to be dragged into the 21st century...............

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.

Moderated by  Brian Hill 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics