Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi All - My name is Andrew, and my mother (59 years old) is recovering from tongue and mouth cancer. Her operation was in Sep '06. At that time, she had 1/2 of her tongue removed and a number of lymph nodes in her neck and mouth (bottom). She has gone through the subsequent radiation/chemo activities, and looks to be cancer free. Additionally, she has been on a feeding tube for some time, but had that removed 3-4 months after the procedure (trac removed as well).

As it's been over a year, my Mother has NOT been able to eat any solid foods. Hence, she has lost a lot of weight. She's on an "all liquid" diet and can't seem to use her tongue, mouth, or jaw well enough. Her speech is pretty good, but the inability to eat is really a problem.

Her Doctors are thinking about putting the feeding tube back in her stomach (any day now).

As I've read through a number of postings, I feel like this audience has been through a lot, and is very willing to help. If any of you have experienced similar situations or have suggestions...I would appreciate.

Thanks.
Andrew

Andrew
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

hi there- I have almost no tongue and I can eat most foods. Everyone is different though-Maybe I can help with some techniques. Does she find she aspirates when she tries or is she just nervous to try?One thing that might help strengthen her throat muscles is to gargle water everyday and practice tipping her head back when she gargles so that the liquid doesn't fly down her throat. This helped me in terms of timing the food to go down the hatch properly. Also the way I figured out how to time solids with my new tongue situation was to chew the food and tip my head forward- then take a sip of water and move it back and then swallow. Water is really essential- At first she'll need a lot of water and the motions of tipping forward and back will be extreme- but then it gets less and less. Now I can eat in restaurants and no one really notices that anything is wrong with me.

It will take lots of practice but it would be great for her not to be on a feeding tube - its so uncomfortable. Its so much healthier to even swallow just a liquid/pureed diet. Can you get her to take 3-4 ensures or other liquid supplements like smoothies etc a day. Let me know if Ic an help at all. smile Miss Kate

Tongue Cancer T2 N0 M0 /
Total Glossectomy Due to Location of Tumor

Finished all treatments May 25 2007
Surviving!!!
OP Offline

MKate - Thanks for the response. I greatly appreciate it. Thats amazing that you've accomplished what you have. I am planning to see my mother Thursday (12/6) and will share some of your thoughts/ideas/suggestions.

I will definitely reach out to you, and maybe even connect w/ my Mom. She's not very computer saavy ; )... so I may have to intermediate.

thanks again.
Andrew

Andrew
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Andrew,
Has your mother had a swallowing test? If not, her speech therapist should proabably schedule one to determine why she is having this difficulty and possibly prescribe some exercises to help.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311