Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

hi mandy,

im sorry to hear this its so sad at a young young age, but yous seem to be a real strong team.

i visited the blog and she seems so positive and focused, and ive no doubt she is going to boot arse !!!

tell her i am asking for her and thinking of yous both.

derek

OP Offline

Update on todays meeting at Charing Cross Hospital, London.

After a 3 hr drive we eventually arrived at the hospital and didn't have long to be seen by Mr Sandu.

Hayley was told that they had looked at her CAT scan & MRI scan and that she wouldn't be having the laser surgery as the tumor is bigger than they originally thought. He asked her if she knew anything about grading the tumour (which she didn't but I had read up on this beforehand) - he said her tumor was a grade 3, possible 4. He explained that the tumor was attached to some cartlidge (sp)(which apparently, it had grown OUT from and not INTO).

So, my brave, positive daughter took all this news calmly and asked questions - like, what treatment would she be having - and she was told that she would be getting radiation.

He also arranged for an ultra sound today, which she had this afternoon - and that was to see if the cancer was attached to anything else. Hayley was told that the tumor was on the left side of the voice box and curled round some cartlidge (sp), like I mentioned above.

So, it looks like we may have to wait another 3 weeks until treatment starts - i'm worried about her having to wait that long. I asked if the cancer would grow more in that time, and MR Sandu said that waiting that amount of time should't make a difference. They said that before and to me the cancer has grown more.

I have seen such strength in my daughter whilst she is going through this - she even joked at one part when radiation was talked about, and she said at least she wouldn't have to go through getting a moustache and beard when she reaches her thirties (ladies, you understand this lol)

So, that's out update. I'm learning something new every day - and learning more from my daughter too.

I just wish the treatment started tomorrow.

Thank you Derek & Goose for your prayers and thoughts. :-)

Mother to Hayley 18, who was diagnosed on the 20th November 2007 with SSC /T4 Throat Cancer. Now in remission as from August 2008. smile
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Dearest Mum: Your post has brought me to tears; as a mother myself, I cannot possibly imagine what you must be going through.

Our prayers are being offered on yours and Hayley's behalf. I know that HE hears our cries.

May the Lord strengthen your family as you begin your journey. Know that all of us are behind you!

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

Mandy,

Have been wondering how you got on today, you must be pretty shell-shocked.

But stay positive--my friend's daughter was diagnosed with Stage 4 Breast Cancer at age 17 and given 2 years maximum to live--she's now 33 and planning on having babies!!
Would it be any help if I got her email address for you?

Have they said why it will be 3 weeks before treatment begins?? Even for England, that sounds like a long time if she doesn't have to heal from surgery--and takes us very close to Christmas!

I've read Hayley's Blog, what a girl! and although I've now lost the details, I was once in contact with a young woman who had Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and set up her own website called something like TheFurryMonkey.

I have you both in my thoughts,

Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
OP Offline

I am going to try and start a blog here at OCF..just to log everything and keep people informed.

I want to write so much but not overload this thread.

We found out more today and my heart is breaking for my daughter Hayley.

The new options are now chemo and radiaton AND/OR removal of voice box and nodes. Hayley has opted for chemo and radiation first. We see the radiation man tomorrow at 9am. It will still be over a week or more before treatment starts but will know definate tomorrow.

I will be back to leave blog/journal details if anyone would like to follow.

Many, many thanks for all your comments - it means alot.

Mandy

Mother to Hayley 18, who was diagnosed on the 20th November 2007 with SSC /T4 Throat Cancer. Now in remission as from August 2008. smile
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

dear haley i wish you all the best you are strong you will do ok i had throat cancer to it was on my right vocal cord
please keep is posted

Lolita - Stage 1, no node involvement, no distant mets. 6 weeks of radiation plus 6 chemo treatments, one each week.

Hayley and Mandy: DO keep us posted as to your treatment plan. Know that we really are praying for you both as well as your family.

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

I've read your daughter's blog and she seems like such a lovely person. You've done a good job raising her. Hang in there.

You said you want to write but not overload this thread -- write to me if you want. I'm not the best about responding but I'll read every word. And frankly, I'm hoping to learn something from you. Since my son was diagnosed I've had a hard time communicating about it. Maybe we can help each other?

darcy (Matt's Mom)

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Mandy, I have read some of Hayley's blog, WOW, what an incredibly strong, young woman, I know you are very proud of her...she is beautiful(and her dog is very cute}I will be praying for her......she is so strong, she makes me feel like such a wimp! Love, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---

p.s. I left her a message I hope she gets it. she is such an inspiration!

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users