Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
OP Offline

Hello all,

My name is Mandy, and I am the mother of an 18 year old daugher called Hayley.

Hayley has throat cancer. We were told the news on the 20th November. Her cancer is situated on the left side of her voice box.

I searched for a site that could help me come to understand what will be happening, and to get advice and information so we can face this head on.

Her ENT consultant has been very positive and has told Hayley that there is no reason why she can't beat this. I have to hold on to that.

Hayley herself, is being so positive - she has amazed me...she says there is no way that cancer will beat her...she is ready to kick its butt! She has even started a blog about it!

This is one journey we didn't plan...who does...but my heart breaks for her but if she can be strong, then I have to be strong for her.

We are going up to Charing Cross Hospital, London,(6th Nov ) to meet with a Dr Sandhu - and we are hoping that he will confirm the laser treatment. If so, her operation will be within a few days of this meeting.

Forgive me if I am ' a little all over the place' but the past 3 weeks have been hell - but the past few days I have felt stronger..

I just wanted to share with you, and I thank you for listening.

Mandy :-)

Mother to Hayley 18, who was diagnosed on the 20th November 2007 with SSC /T4 Throat Cancer. Now in remission as from August 2008. smile
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi Mandy
Liz in the Uk here
I guess you meant 5th December to see the Doctor at Charing Cross.I wish you all the luck in the world,and would like you to know that if any single group of people can help you get your head round this hell and cope with it,then you have found them.

My thoughts will be with you

love and all the best liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Mandy -
You HAVE come to the right place for comfort, experience you can count on, and people who have walked the same hellish road you are on and are here to talk about it. I have all confidence that Hayley will "kick butt" with this cancer - she is young, has the right attitude, and the advances in cancer treatment are all in her corner! Plus you will find the best support team anywhere with the people in the Oral Cancer Foundation forum. As she continues in whatever treatment plan the doctors choose, please keep us informed and ask! ask! ask! questions. You will get answers. Best to you and to Hayley! Warmly, JaneP : )

Husband: 3 SCC gum and cheek cancers 2002, 2005, 2006: surgery only. Scans clear after removal of small, well differentiated, non-invasive cancers. No radiation. 4th SCC lip diagnosed 4/13/07 - in situ, removed in biopsy. More lip removed 2/8/08 - dysplasia. 2 Biopsies 3/17/09 no cancer (lichenoids)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Mandy

My thoughts are with you and Hayley ..I can agree with the others here and tell you , you won't find a better place for support , information, advice and just compassion and understanding of what you both are going through .

PLease do keep us informed on her treatment plan and Jane is right ASK questions , cus others here have experienced it and they can give you some insight.

NO this isnt easy , but it can be done and there are alot of us here that can atest to that . Let her know we are all standing beside her and holding her in our thoughts, and you as well !!

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
OP Offline

Thank you all for your kind words.

It feels such a long time until Wed 6th Dec - every day seems slow and I worry that the cancer will grow.. although I have been told not to worry as two weeks after diagnosis will not make a difference (try telling that to my mind!).

I will come back when i know more of what's to be.

Thanks again.

Mandy

Mother to Hayley 18, who was diagnosed on the 20th November 2007 with SSC /T4 Throat Cancer. Now in remission as from August 2008. smile

Mandy, I will be thinking of you and your incredibly strong daughter Hayley often. Do you know if they can remove the cancer with surgery only? Or, are they recommending radiation and chemo?

Whatever your situation come here often. It's a tough job to be a caregiver to someone you care so much about. And you will find so much help, love and support here. 18, that just seems too young. Just a few years older than my kids.

I like your daughter's attitude. We'll be rooting for her to kick cancer's butt TOO!

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
OP Offline

Margaret,

Thank you for rooting for my girl!

I don't know if you, or anyone else here is interested but Hayley has her own blog where she has started to write about this new journey..

www.kickingcancersarse.blogspot.com. (I hope it is ok to leave this here?).

Please feel free to read, and leave her a comment. She is interested to hear from any survivors of cancer!

With regards to Hayley having surgery to remove the cancer; Our consultant where we live has recommended laser surgery but we do not know if this will happen until we see another consultant who performs the Steiner Laser procedure. We see him on Wednesday morning. What we have been told is that the tumor is not attached to any skeletol - and that laser would be the best surgery for POST cancer - then if agreed, there may be some radiation but smaller amounts given over longer time? Because of her age and the effects it could have on Hayley for the rest of her life the consultant said this would be a better option. Of course, like I said above..we have to wait to see if the London Consultant agrees.

I just want the best for her, as we all do for our loved ones.

You are all wonderful people here..so glad I came across this site!

Mandy --

Your link doesn't work because of the final period. The correct link is www.kickingcancersarse.blogspot.com

Your daughter has such a strong and positive attitude -- it's hard to believe she is only 18. Those are great pictures of the two of you. And I do hope she can get new Spice Girls tickets!

All the best,
Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Mandy,

The people here are the best support group you could find! Lots of information here to help you along your journey.

Please keep us posted! You are in my prayers.

South Louisiana - Cancerous growth removed from lip 10/07. Lesion removal & biopsy done 11/7/07 - no signs of cancer in area. PET scan done. No signs of cancer in Head & neck. Something in chest. CT to be done 12/20/07

hi mandy,

im sorry to hear this its so sad at a young young age, but yous seem to be a real strong team.

i visited the blog and she seems so positive and focused, and ive no doubt she is going to boot arse !!!

tell her i am asking for her and thinking of yous both.

derek

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users