Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#25006 11-30-2007 11:16 AM
Cookey Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Hi my name is liz,and today i am posting on the forum from a whole new perspective.

I have been in agony for three days with tooth ache,and this morning i had to ring round every dentist in the area to try and get seen as an emergency.I am not registered with a dentist so it is really hard to get any one to see you urgently,but i did manage to get an appointment for 11am with a new practice in leeds.
I was seen by a lovely doctor called Thomas who explained i would have to register with the practise and have a full mouth examination with x-rays as well as what ever treatment i needed for my tooth ache.Part of this examination included a full oral cancer screen which he did even though i told him i had had one done only two weeks ago.When he was finished and had done the x-rays,he extracted my bad tooth and i went home minus a tooth and all the pain!!

At 1.45 pm my mobile phone rang and it was the Dentist's nurse asking how i was,(surprise no. 1)

She then went on to say the dentist wanted me to go back straight away as he needed to discuss something he spotted on the x-ray,and when i explained that would be difficult she insisted it was very important for me to go back at 3.30 as the dentist needed to speak to me face to face,to discuss a few matters.

Mum and i duly rocked up at the dentist obviously wondering what the hell was going on.

Shock number 2 coming.The x-rays were fine,but he made me sit in his chair while he closely examined tthe left side of my mouth.When he did the oral cancer screen the dentist had noticed i had an area of hyperkeratosis on my gum where i had a double extraction 5 years ago.I knew about this because the dentist who did the oral screen two weeks ago commented on it and said it looked a bit sore.What he also saw was a white area on the gum which he had beeen chewing over during his lunch hour and had decided he wanted another look at.Once he had finished prodding and poking he very quietly explained to me that he had said nothing when he origonally examined me because firstly he was aware of how much pain i was in with the bad tooth,and secondly when i had told him about Robin,he was reluctant to alarm me.He had wrestled with the dilema and felt he had to look again and then tell me of his concerns.

Bottom line he has referred me to the maxillo-facial unit in leeds for an urgent biopsy which he says will be done before i go on holiday.

He was so apologetic but said he couldnt in all conscience not do this as i was in a high risk category(smoker and drinker)and although he was fairly confident it would be ok,that if it was cancer i should only need surgery to my gum and jaw as the changes were likely to be very early stages.!!!

Jerry and Mike feel free to jump in here and reassure me .

I just couldn't stop myself saying to him that i had heard that before when Robins Surgeon looked us in the eye and said he ha a 90% chance of a 10 year survival.
I then told him there was no way on this earth that i could walk this path again.

Then it went quiet and he looked so distressed i felt sorry for the poor man. I thought long and hard about what i would say to anyone who came on to the forum with the same dillema.It was a no brainer practice what you preach lady.

So i am waiting for a telephone call to go for a biopsy.
My mum is in pieces and my kids are hysterical,but i feel calm and collected.This is not cancer i know it isnt .It cant be. Life just couldn't be that cruel,it couldn't could it???

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
#25007 11-30-2007 11:46 AM

Liz, Thank God for your dentist quick action....oh my, I am hoping it is NOTHING! Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
#25008 11-30-2007 11:58 AM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Liz, what a nightmare.. you have certainly had more that your fair share recently.
I, like Carol, am sincerely hoping this is false alarm. But, thank goodness the NHS has Dentists of this calibre... he is to be commended.
Take Care
Marica

Caregiver to husband (Pete) Stage IV Base of Tongue. Dx 04 2003 Chemo/Radiation no surgery.. doing great!
#25009 11-30-2007 12:51 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Okay Liz---deep breath!
Sounds like an EXCELLENT dentist, who has taken on board your situation, doesn't want to worry you unnecessarily (that's lousy spelling, I think!), but is taking his duties very seriously.
I'll try the 'LIz's advice to others' bit FOR you!

" Read the boards about all the people who've been worried about lumps/bumps/patches and see how many have turned out to be NON-cancerous--lots lately!"

But hell, my 'urgent' MRI and biopsy didn't happen very fast, this being England, but I do know that Leeds has an excellent reputation--it's also a teaching hospital.
I have a friend with a cleft palate who has recurrent surgery there and when I was facing the possibility of major surgery to my jaw, told me about the wonderful results she'd seen at Leeds maxioll-facial unit.

Personal opinion is dentist is making sure that history does NOT repeat itself--he's not negligent!

If you haven't been 'summoned' before next weekend, you sure do need a day away!!

Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
#25010 11-30-2007 01:30 PM
Cookey Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

God Bren i was sooooo close to ringing you tonight.I so needed someone to talk to.
I WILL NOT believe this is anything more than an excellent dentist taking his responsibilities very seriously.And so i will go along with him.

I sort of get the idea it is something like the reason we have pap smears every few years.It may show up a pre cancerous change that may need watching.Am i right jerry or Mike?

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007

#25011 11-30-2007 01:30 PM
Cookey Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thanks for the reassurance about the Leeds Dental Hospital not sure if it is part of Jimmys or Leeds General.

Liz in the UK

#25012 11-30-2007 01:30 PM
Cookey Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

You are right lol i will need a day out by next weekend.He is sending the request under the two week government guide lines so i should be done by then.

Liz in the UK

#25013 11-30-2007 03:15 PM

Liz: Nothing I can say will calm you, but you must know that my heart was in my throat as I read your post. You're going straight to the top of my list...and you know what that means!

Our thoughts are with you...WHY must you live SO far away?

Love, Lois

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
#25014 11-30-2007 05:47 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Liz,
I understand your anxiety about the situation and would not wish these circumstances on my worst enemy. First, have a big hug an take a breath.
I'm not overly enthusiastic about the way this was handled by this dentist. If he performed a full examination and oral cancer screening he should have made you aware of the condition of your mouth and oral cavity and any and all conditions and/or concerns he had as a result of his examinations prior to commencing any treatment. In Canada we have many different types of examinations and a specific code for each. If, in fact a complete examination and oral cancer examination were performed then i have an issue. If he only performed a specific or emegency exam ( these are done to address the immedite problem and do not include evaluation and or comment about the patient's whole mouth. Remember, I am speaking about Canada and the regulations under which I practice.
I assume that from your above post that you did in fact recieve a comprehensive exam and oral cancer screening. In Canada it is required to inform the patient about all abnormal findings, possible outcomes and treatment options that are available as well as outlining the treatment that I would suggest. This is informed consent.
To call a patient after the fact and be dishonest about the reason that they need to return is not only unprofessional, but unethical.
I hate to say this about a colleague, but he messed up. You have options and avenues you can pursue if you want to deal with this issue.

It is not abnormal for the gumes to become hyperkeratotic if teeth are not present and not replaced. Eating pushes food onto the gum tissue and causes the hyperkeratosis, similar to callouses forming on the hands due to repeated trauma. This is the bodies way of protecting the underlying tissues.
This dentist told you that the area looked sore...was it or has it every been sore?
Did he explain why he felt it could be serious and why an urgent biopsy was required?
All of the mishandling aside,I think you should have the biopsy just to ease your mind.
I know you don't want to go down the path that would be before if this is something bad. I do know however that if you have to that you are strong enough to do it and that you will for your families sake. You are a strong woman and an inspiration to many of us here. I'm here if you need me.
I'm sending you my personal e-mail address and phone numbers if you want to talk. Call me anytime.
You are in my thoughs and prayers Liz.

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
#25015 11-30-2007 05:51 PM
Cookey Offline OP
"OCF across the pond"
OP Offline
"OCF across the pond"

Thankyou Lois,and your prayers are much appreciated.
love liz

Liz in the UK

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics