I am fortunate that both of my cancers - renal and oral - were detected at a point where surgery was all that was needed.

The renal cancer was found because I decided that for my 60th birthday I should get a colonoscopy. As an aside, I told the Gastroenterologist that I had indigestion and trouble swallowing. He suggested an endoscopy to open my esophagus before I choked to death. Since I was still having problems with indigestion he ordered a CT to make sure that nothing else was wrong w. my digestive system. That is where the kidney cancer showed up. Te form I had was one of those cancers that doesn't have symptons until it is too late or almost too late.

My dentist found the oral cancer because he was suspicious of a pocket in the gum under a crowned tooth. I had partial mandibulectomy and decided to wait to see if I would need reconstruction. The dentist has found that my bite is shifting and recommends looking into some type of reconstruction. I haved an appointment with the ENT oncologist later this week and will see what he says. My husband is very much opposed to further surgey and I really don't want it unless I really need it.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF