Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi, I am new to this forum. I was referred to this website after receiving a comment from a wonderful survivor on the blog I am writing for my dad as he goes through his long journey with cancer. He has cancer of his paroitid gland which was removed in a neck dissection surgery on Oct 5, 2007 along with 22 lymph nodes (2 of which were cancerous) and his facial nerve. He came through surgery great and now is half way through his 7 weeks of radiation. He is struggling with eating and we are all not sure what to do with him now... it seems we are all annoying him by telling him to "EAT, EAT, EAT!!!" Any advice for us would be appreciated. Take a look at my blog for more info (www.geneakapops.blogspot.com). I am so happy to have found this site! I know my dad will love the support too! Thanks in advance.

Father has stage IVa Parotid Gland Cancer; Surgery and neck dissection to remove paroitid gland, facial nerve and 22 lymph nodes 10/5/07; Radiation in progress 7wks.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

My mom was the same way she would get really angry with the constant badgering. That is untill we found she had a serious sweet tooth for Kozy Shack rice pudding. I am serious we would walk in to a store and buy four cases just to last the week. Sometimes the best thing you can do is play a little tial and error untill you find something. It took us awhile to find the right thing but when we did that is all she ate for the longest time. Don't worry you'll figure it out:)
Warmest Regards Dragon

Let me be the lender of strength, wisdom, and heart. Let me be the one who helps you spread your wings.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

My dad did not get the feeding tube and he knew it was mandatory that he eat and continue swallowing. Sure, he didn't like being told to eat all day but he knew that if he didn't the feeding tube wouldn't be an option anymore.

While your efforts may seem to annoy him I'm sure he knows that you are just looking out for him.

Best of luck.

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

My son did not get the PEG tube either and his tastes changed almost every day. I found out that when starting something new it was best not to buy too much of it because his taste for something he used to tolerate or like the day before could change drastically. He did get upset when I tried to urge him to eat and informed me in his "you just don't understand" voice that anything he tried to swallow felt like sharp knives stabbing him in his throat. For a while, he liked the creamy rice pudding, then yogurt, and he went from liking chocolate milk shakes to hating them and then strawberry milk and vanilla shakes to no shakes at all. He ate softly scrambled eggs for a while and lots of chicken broth and eventually ate some of the noodles in the broth, too! It's as Dragon says, you just have to do the trial and error thing. It was very difficult to know when to be firm and when to be soft with him. And sometimes all you can do, is give him a gentle (very gentle because his surgery area may be tender) hug or pat on the hand to let him know you love him. Stay in touch with us and let us know what's happening.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

OP Offline

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions... I will help him try all kinds of things and see what he may like one day at a time! I told him that I asked you guys for some help with this food issue and he laughed! He said his Dr told him that if he didn't find some foods that he liked he would be put on a feeding tube (which he doesn't want to get). He lost 9 pounds last week, so he needs to see what he can eat. Thanks again! You can see our cancer journal/blog here www.geneakapops.blogspot.com

Father has stage IVa Parotid Gland Cancer; Surgery and neck dissection to remove paroitid gland, facial nerve and 22 lymph nodes 10/5/07; Radiation in progress 7wks.

You might try Carnation VHC which has 560 calories and if you cannot find it locally, it can be ordered online.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Hi-
Towards the end of radiation I finally met with the nutritionist(should have done it earlier!) and she gave me a bunch of free samples of high calorie foods. One of them was amazing, it's called Benecalorie at it has 330 calories in a few tablespoons. The taste/texture is gross, and its expensive but it can really help add calories. I did not have a PEG tube, but I lived on Ensure and Carnation VHC.
You can buy Benecalorie through amazon.

Melissa

Age 36. Four years of fighting Stage 4 Skull Base Cancer
Can't even fit it in the signature line. I've tried it all! 5 surgeries, IMRT, cyberknife, cisplatin, erbitux, AIM, taxotere, carboplatin.

And if you buy it from Amazon, please do it from the OCF link.

Anne-Marie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23