Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#24910 11-19-2007 12:26 AM
Cal Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi there. Boy what a shock! 49 year old family man, never smoked, chewed tobacco and social drinker. I had what I believed was a canker on the right side under my tongue, July 07 and then continued to irritate it by biting while I chewed and at night for some reason was biting my tongue as well. Never thought to have it checked until I had a disk slip out on me in September 07 and finally in October asked a doctor that was covering for my family physician for a couple weeks what I could do to clear it up? He give me a over the counter mouthwash that basically just numbed the pain. When I finally saw my family physician when he got back two weeks later, he seemed very concerned and got a biopsy lined up the next week. Also suggested I get a bad tooth that lost its filing that summer removed right away too. A week later Had the toothpulled and same day I was informed it was Squamous Cell Cancer on my tongue!!!!! eek Just completed CT scan of neck and head and having the area of the tongue removed November 21, '07. Never knew the qustions to ask until I found this site and read a lot of your postings and replies. I have booked another visit with my family physician tommorrow and will ask him about a little more, then will make a lot longer list to ask when my CT results are ready. Should have them before they cut my tongue. Both my surgeon and physician hopefully give me the same answers. Have no idea of stage and am very nervous because of the postings that I have read. No matter the stage I through IV, people have had the SCC reoccur! Then I read where family members continue to post and say there loved ones are now at peace, after only a couple years or less. Boy that can scare the hell out of one. But there does seem to be a lot mor happy survivors, thankfully.
I am concerned that I do have a annoying tickle in my throat, slight steady ear ache and little cough with the tickle, whats that about? Anyone with same?
confused My family and I are working at staying positive and life as normal, as I have continued to put on the happy face and tried to accentuate the positive results we have heard of. But for me, I am making sure my life is is order for the just in case and its about time I caught up on that anyay.
By the way, with the slipped disk. I did have a CT and MRI on the back and seeing the neurosurgeon November 20th to decide that course of action as well. I live with lower back discomfort and a numbness of the lower left leg.
More pain and extension of that numbness if I excert myself, sit to long or lay in certain positions. There is definitly a pinched nerve. Boy sometime whe it rains it pours!!

Cal
#24911 11-19-2007 03:49 AM
"OCF Canuck"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Sounds like your cancer was caught early and when caught at an earlier stage, this disease IS "curable". Yes, some people do have it recurr and you will always need to be vigilent. What you don't see on this website it those very many survivors who are out and about living their lives and no longer visit the board!

This is a great resource for you to post your questions and fears that only others going through the same things can understand.

Keep in touch.

Donna

Donna,69, SCC L Tongue T2N1MO Stg IV 4/04 w/partial gloss;32 radtx; T2N2M0 Stg IV; R tongue-2nd partial gloss w/graft 10/07; 30 radtx/2 cispl 2/08. 3rd Oral Cancer surgery 1/22 - Stage 1. 2022 surgery eliminated swallowing and bottom left jaw. Now a “Tubie for Life”.no food envy - Thank God! Surviving isn't easy!!!! .Proudly Canadian - YES, UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE IS WONDERFUL! (Not perfect but definitely WONDERFUL)
#24912 11-19-2007 04:14 AM
Me2 Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Cal - I also had SCC of the left lateral tongue, dx in April '06, surgery at MD Anderson May '06. (see my signature for specifics) My initial problems were much like yours, had another medical problem earlier that year and at first they thought my tongue ulcer was related to that. Also had the ear pain- the nerves in your tongue are the culprit.

I am still cancer-free and hope to remain that way! This type of cancer can certainly be very aggressive in some people, and also recur, so your best options are good treatment from the beginning. Are they doing a neck dissection? That is to look for any lymph nodes that have cancer in them.

Keep us posted and use this site to look up all your questions - there is tons of information here. BTW, my husband had a herniated disk as well, a few years ago, could hardly walk or sit, but with a conservative doctor and a lot of physical therapy, he is fine now with no surgery...

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!
#24913 11-19-2007 05:01 AM

Hi Cal. Where in Canada are you? Please read my story on this board. 2 years cancer free / happytobealive. (second page,on top)You find my email in my signature if you want to respond privately.
Good luck!!
DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE!! wink I am still here, and still kicking butt! Cheers! Thomas in Calgary,AB

T2N0M0 Residual Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Hemi glossectomy. 25% of right side tongue removed. Forearm flap, Tracheotomy, Neck dissection, Mandibular osteotomy. Oct. 3-2005 +
30 rounds of radiation and no chemo. No smoking and drinking.
#24914 11-19-2007 05:23 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Cal you sound exactly like I did in May of this year. THe hurting tongue,which at 1st I blamed on biting it, the aching ear, sore throat. Same symptoms as you. I had the surgery Aug 3rd and had 8 nodes talken out of my neck. The Dr said I was showing clear and have to see him every 6 weeks for awhile. The tongue will ache and your throat feel a little strange, but I think you caught it early. I don't get chemo or rad just do what Dr says and have a positive attitude. I belive thinking positive is the main thing. I do have at least 1/3rd less tongue, but it is far from being what i expected. I can eat and kinda talk funny,LOL but am well and living. Food doesn't taste the same , but I go for it anyway. I just thought I would tell you what I am experiencing.. You are in my prayers. I hope this helped somewhat.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
#24915 11-19-2007 11:21 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Cal,

Stay positive. All of the people here are a wealth of information and good vibes. These guys have been through it and can give you some great advice.

I also share the sentiments of Pandora... I think many people who are cured no longer visit here so you do not get the benefit of their story of victory.

We'll keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Keep us posted!

South Louisiana - Cancerous growth removed from lip 10/07. Lesion removal & biopsy done 11/7/07 - no signs of cancer in area. PET scan done. No signs of cancer in Head & neck. Something in chest. CT to be done 12/20/07
#24916 11-19-2007 07:13 PM
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Cal i always think twice before posting replies to new members,obviously because of my signature line. The reason people like me and Anne Marie stay on this site is that we hope that the experience we gained from being closely involved with oral cancer,and being primary carers for our husbands, will help other people going through the same or similar scenarios.I always try to take the view that every one who comes to this site will be luckier than Robin was,and to date that is mostly the case so dont try to anticipate what might or might not happen,just deal with what IS happening day to day .The future is something none of us can see,wether we are healthy or sick ,as i have said many times before,i could get in my car today,and never come home again,so dont waste your energy with maybe, just as i cant waste my life with what if's.Concentrate on fighting the disease,you will need to be totally focused on that.

good luck with everything

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
#24917 11-19-2007 11:15 PM

Well said Liz!

South Louisiana - Cancerous growth removed from lip 10/07. Lesion removal & biopsy done 11/7/07 - no signs of cancer in area. PET scan done. No signs of cancer in Head & neck. Something in chest. CT to be done 12/20/07
#24918 11-21-2007 02:51 AM
Cal Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank You All for your replys. Because of each and everyone of you I am goin to stay ven more upbeat and positive about this bump in the road of life. I am off this morning to have the SCC removed and there are no plans for a neck dissection at his time. My wife wishes they would remove the whole tongue!!!LOL
The CT Scan came back showing no other signs of the Cancer spreading, so that is a positive note.
I am in Regina, Thomas, so as you know the Riders will win they Grey Cup!
Thank you all, I will stay on line and in touch
Cheers
Cal

Cal
#24919 11-21-2007 05:47 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Welcome, Cal! Sorry you have to be going through this, especially at this time of year, but you could not find a place with better information or more support. Don't try and do too much "reading between the lines", particularly concerning recurrence and survival statistics. That stuff will scare the heck out of you, and, as has been posted here many times, every case is individual and there are far more survivors than you see here. Glad the CT was negative.

Maintain a positive attitude, stay active, and do EXACTLY what the doctors tell you to do. We will be here for you.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260