Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
herson Offline OP
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
OP Offline

Well I didn't think I would be introducing myself a second time, specially not since my mom's first inital surgery in June 2006 went really well. She had oral cancer on the right side of her tongue, less than 2 cm, surgery was done and everything seemed good.

Now, in September, 2007 doctors found a lump on the left side of her neck. They have refused to give it a stage, saying its not reacting in a similar fashion

the world brought me to my knees...
Update: Feb 10/08: Mom passed away on Jan 31,08 - infection (unknown) in her lungs with her weakened immune system resulted in cardiac arrest - T2NO SCC of tongue surgery 6/30/06, SCC left neck and lungs detected Sept 07, 7 weeks rad/3 rounds chemo had no effect.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Sorry I cannot provide the answers you seek, but know that you and your Mom will be in our thoughts during this time. Keep us posted as to her treatment plan.

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

Herson,

I also can not give you any answers. Hope the TX they have your mom on now will take care of the cancer for good. My sister sounds like she had some similarities to your mom. She was also a non smoker, veggan and extremely healthy. In fact among all the siblings and in laws in their 40's and 50's we thought she would be the one that outlived us all. Connie had small part of her tongue removed 2 1/2 years ago, followed by 3 mores surgeries and 7 weeks of radiation and chemo with in that period. A CT scan showed a small tumor in her lungs too. Because she refused the more aggressive surgery early on and having the radiation treatments the cancer kept re-occurring. It is a very aggressive cancer and I'm glad your mom is getting the TX she is. Hope the tumor in lungs shrinks too as the neck tumor has.
As has been stated in this forum many times, going to a CCC would be the best thing to do, they are the experts, since the doctors you have been dealing with seem a little perplexed at what is going on. My best to you and your mom.

Nancy

Caregiver to sister Connie, dx 2005, scc tongue, 4 surgeries inc. radical left side neck dissection 7/06, 35 IMRT, and 7 cisplatin 2/07, passed away 8-11-07, 51 yrs. young, fought with courage, strength and grace, found peace on her new journey.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Herson,
I'm sorry to read about your situation with your Mom.
In my humble opinion it sounds to me like your mother has a new cancer unrelated to the cancer in her tongue. I am not an expert, but from what you describe I believe she is fighting a new cancer. I'm sorry that I am not able to help or offer advice in this situation regarding the staging, diagnosis or how it came to be.
I would sugest to keep asking the doctors the difficult questions. Try and get a definitive diagnosis (name the cancer) from them. If you have not already done so, I would suggest trying to find and contact a CCC.
I applaud your selfless efforts that you are putting forth for the mother you love, she is blessed to have you.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mother.

Contact me anytime if you feel I can help.

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

So sorry Herson that you are going through this.
But chemo treatments are GOOD--my lung tumour has shrunk by more than 50%
I hope you can get some answers soon,
Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
herson Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks for the support, I don't know what CCC is but we currently are getting treatment at Princess Margaret Hospital .. supposed to be one the best in the world? or at least Canada.. im not knocking the support we are getting, just the uncertainity around the 2 active cancers right now .. in the neck and lungs .. which seem to be unrelated to the first cancer

Update: Feb 10/08: Mom passed away on Jan 31,08 - infection (unknown) in her lungs with her weakened immune system resulted in cardiac arrest - T2NO SCC of tongue surgery 6/30/06, SCC left neck and lungs detected Sept 07, 7 weeks rad/3 rounds chemo had no effect.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

H - CCC is a Comprehensive Cancer Center or Clinic with a tumor board and doctors trained in different disciplines. They get together and make decisions as to treatment options. At the following url there is a list of abbreviations and their meanings:

http://web.utk.edu/~aalix/abbreviations.html

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

herson Offline OP
OP Offline

Thanks,

Reading some posts here and there, I wanted to know is Oral Cancer something that runs in families?

I'm the only one in my family that has had it. There were 7 more sibblings in our croud too. I sure hope it stops with me and goes no further. Have a greaat day all. jim

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
herson Offline OP
OP Offline

I hear that

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23