Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#24824 11-09-2007 01:43 AM
"OCF Canuck"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

I have just had a tongue biopsy for a red and white lesion on it that my oral pathologist was sure was lichen planus. The path report says mild to moderate dysplasia. My surgeon claims he got 90% of it, and wants to see me back in a month. I am making him test for HPV, but he seemed rather unconcerned. I really want to just get it all taken out with clear margins.
I have twins who are 2 and am terrified of touching them as they may get HPV. I know it is ubiquitous, but you know kids, they put their hand in your food, etc.
I am a family doc, but we never see this. I am sending my slides to my friend in Boston who is a dermatopathologist and he is getting another opinion from his oral pathologist collegue. I don't smoke and only drink socially, am female and just over 40. Any idea of the prognosis? I am thinking the worse already...

#24825 11-09-2007 03:26 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I honestly don't think you spread HPV that way ..by just touching . I am not medical so I don't know. Atleast not the strain that causes cancer.

It isn't bad to get a second opinion and I too would want clear margins. I am young 36 and I didn't smoke and rarley drank and female and NOT HPV ..so it does happen ..... what does he want to do to treat the dysplasia?

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#24826 11-09-2007 09:57 AM

Enigmatic,
I know how you feel having faced the same unknowns ten years ago. You say you are a family Doc. So..I would suggest telling yourself the same things you would tell a patient. Until you have your second opinion and all the information on available and possible treatment options getting all stressed out is only going to harm you.
The mind can be a terrible place to hang out. I wouldn't worry about spreading HPV by touching your children. If a simple touch spread the virus we would all be infected with HPV. You also don't know if your dysplasia is HPV positive. One thing at a time.

Dysplasia of the basement membrane of the tongue is a pre-malignant condition if not treated. How long it takes to transform is different with every case.
I would suggest once the opinions are in that you may want to have wider margins excised to ensure healthy borders.
E-mail me if I can offer any assistance.
Please try and stay positive, your twins need you.
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
#24827 11-09-2007 10:47 AM

As you can see from my signature, my husband was initially diagnosed with moderate dysplasia as well, in late April 2006.

When I discovered this website a week or so later, I asked about leukoplakia. Here's how Brian Hill, OCF founder, responded:
[quote]Leukoplakia is a PRE-cancerous condition that does not always move completely into malignancy. Dysplasia are those cells which are no longer normal, but they are not really malignant yet...an in-between state, so to speak.

Dysplasias also do not always go completely over to the dark side, but they are a step in that direction... and having them removed, or watched very regularly, is prudent.

Dysplastic leukoplakias can often return after surgical removal, many times done with a laser, sometimes via a blade excision. Keep an eye on things even after the removal from now until forever. [/quote](The boldface emphasis is mine.)

In my husband's case, it did turn to the dark side but was caught very, very early. When he was younger he did smoke and drink, but he has not done either for decades and his doctor at Johns Hopkins says he considers my husband in the same "category" of patients who never smoked.

We did not have his slides tested for HPV, as the area excised was on the side of his tongue. From what I have read on this site and elsewhere, oral HPV+ SCC is most common in the base of tongue/tonsil area, not on the mobile tongue. I'll be interested to hear the results of your HPV test.

All the best,
Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
#24828 11-09-2007 03:11 PM
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

I want to thank all of you....I was getting a bit crazy over all of this. I have spoken with my dermatologist, and called my surgeon again. The surgeon did tell me that the side was unlikely to be HPV, but he is planing to take more out...he wants to see everything heal as I had 3 wisdom teeth out at the same time. He told me to stop worrying about spreading it to the kids and that now that we know what it is, it is unlikely to get really bad as we will be watching.

#24829 11-09-2007 03:18 PM

Enigmatic,
Sounds like you're in good hands. Your post also leads me to believe that you are a little calmer now that you have talked to some people.
I'm here if you need me.
Take care. Keep us up to date on your progress.
Cheers,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
#24830 11-10-2007 03:59 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Enigmatic,

Not much to add here from another dentist. As Mike said, you seem to be in a better mental state and I'm glad to see that. I too had lateral border of the tongue SCC. Never tested for HPV. As Leslie stated, since there is no documented evidence of mobile tongue lesions being positive for HPV.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#24831 11-18-2007 05:03 PM
"OCF Canuck"
OP Offline
"OCF Canuck"

Well I still have nothing new...I am seeing a head and neck surgeon on Dec.12 for a second opinion. No word on the HPV yet. I have started taking green tea capsules and drinking the stuff...yuck. I also started some vitamins A, B complex and D. I am considering starting Celebrex, but I need to ask a cardiologist about the cardiovascular risks. I never really smoked unless you count a few Cuban cigars on vacation, and I only drank about twice a month, but I will miss red wine. I might have to have some now and again. Oh, and I am trying to drink grape juice. Is there anything else I should be doing?

#24832 11-18-2007 11:12 PM

Sounds like you are on the right track and getting things done. Just one small suggestion about the green tea taste in case it helps: I didn't like it either until I got the kind that comes with lemon in it or I suppose you could add lemon. Hope everything works out the way it should.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

#24833 11-19-2007 04:20 AM
Me2 Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Try Tazo brand "Zen" green tea - I drink it every day. It has lemon verbena and a little mint in it - tastes lovely!

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics