Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
vikerii Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you so much everyone, for all the great ideas! I'm definitely going to pass these onto all his friends who have been asking, "What can we do?" This is such a wonderfully supportive and educational forum. He's got a laptop, so I'm definitely going to give him the link to come here.

Supporting Member (50+ posts)

One more for the list- I always liked getting PJ's. When you are laid up it's nice to change your PJ's often.
I watched a lot of movies and TV series on DVDs, and the best was when people would lend me whatever DVDs they owned (because I'm only going to watch them once so I didn't want to keep them around the house). Labeling the DVDs with their names was helpful becuase then I didn't have to keep track. One friend who is a movie buff and has a copier lent me one of those CD wallets with like 50 movies and said "give it back whenever you want, or keep it". This was for after I was out of the hospital but laid up at home from the radiation.

Age 36. Four years of fighting Stage 4 Skull Base Cancer
Can't even fit it in the signature line. I've tried it all! 5 surgeries, IMRT, cyberknife, cisplatin, erbitux, AIM, taxotere, carboplatin.

My daughter's dry erase board was by my side for the times I couldn't speak. Also a friend lent me a book titled "Getting Well Again" by O. Carl Sinonton, Stephanie Matthews Simonton & James L. Creighton. I didn't intend to read it because I was sick of reading about my illness but I did read it and it helped me with my attitude toward the treatments.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

A small squishy pillows filled with the plastic beads used in Beanie Babbies make wonderful gifts. The neck roll style is excellent for supporting an arm with an IV. Hospital beds are so uncomfortable and the pillows are not much better. I found that manipulating a small soft pillow under my head when lying down and under my arm when I sat up took pressure off of my neck and jaw. When I was able to sit up I used a pillow under books and magazines. A family member brought me a big soft European square to help prop me up in bed.

SCC stage II Partial mandibulectomy w. neck dissection- July 2005. Renal cancer w. partial nephrectomy-Jan 2004. Breast cancer discovered in routine mammogram. Successful lumpectomy, sentinal nodes clear, RT only-2008 Reconstruction of mandible w fibula free flap-Jan 09. TORS removal of begnin pappiloma from esophagus-2010. Masectomy,rt breast 2013.
Support OCF

A friend made me a beautiful quilt. She wrote a personal note on the back in one of the squares. I always felt better when I wrapped myself up in it. I also received lots and lots of different herbal teas. Someone else gave me a soothing CD, which I would play when I just wanted to heal. None of my cards were taken down until I finished radiation. The best gifts were all the positive thoughts and prayers plus the people who checked in to see how my husband was doing.

SCC, right tonsil, T1N0MO, G3, HPV-33 positive, 7 wks IMRT 2/21/07-4/13/07, 48 year old female when diagnosed, non-smoker, weekend wine drinker, tumor and both tonsils removed. Ethyol for 3 weeks; no peg; only minimal longterm side effects
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics