Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
vikerii Offline OP
OP Offline

A good friend of ours has tongue cancer (stage IV) and is undergoing agressive radiation and chemo. He is on a feeding tube and has difficulty swallowing even small amounts of water. After this weeks treatment, he will most likely not be able to talk.

All of his friends have been struggling with what to get him while he is in the hospital. There has been the usual helping out the family with kids, food, and the like, but we don't know what to get for him. Obviously food and flowers are not a good idea. I was thinking of getting a small white board with dry erase markers so he could communicate, and perhaps a book and some crossword puzzles, gift card for the wife to help buy things... Doesn't sound to creative though. Maybe the family just needs money, but I don't want to ask that. As a patient going through this, what was the best thing you received from friends/family?

TIA!

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Good Question.

For me it was last Thanksgiving when I was right in the middle of my radiation treatments. I was able to have all of my family here at the house for the holiday and my co-workers surprised us with suppling Thanksgiving Dinner and I do mean everything you can imagine. No I couldn't eat, but being able to watch my wife relax a bit (she was at my side the whole way) and have the kids, close family and friends here was a real treat.

Don't think for a minute that the cards, flowers and gifts didn't mean anything, they do, but that will be a holiday I will not soon forget.

Kevin

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I don't know about your friend's situation but when our 22 year old son was diagnosed we received several helpful gifts. Because he was still really just a kid, he had no savings to speak of - we're covering the deductible ($$$$ because of out of network). There's also the cost of traveling to and from appointments (300 miles each time, gas+tolls+parking+at least one meal= $100 a trip). And paying our son's bills while he was unable to work. Gifts of money, gas cards and gift cards to a discount store really (really, really, really) helped.

He was also given gift cards to a local video rental store. That was great too - we watched a lot of movies while he was stuck at home recovering.

To be honest though, the cards, the letters, the phonecalls, the visits, the e-mails, the prayer-lists, while not tangible items -- these were all precious to us too. As long as you let your friend know you care and are concerned about his recovery, you will do just fine.

darcy (Matt's Mom)

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

During the time my son could not talk, he used his laptop to answer questions or make ccomments. He wrote in big type so that those who were standing further away could read what he said as he turned the screen of the LT around. If you don't have a LT to lend him, the dry erase board is a great idea, too and easier to carry around. A wise friend of his told my son that when someone asks if he needs anything, to tell them the truth instead of just saying "I'm fine". He happened to need some head phones for a video game he had and one of his friends got it for him. He also read lots of books while he was recovering. It doesn't have to be especially creative to be useful and very much appreciated.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

I agree, any thing , just the thought and knowing that people are there and the dry erase boards are GREAT !! But I will let you know what My family did for me ...........

I live in Upstate NY and I have a cousin in Ft Kent MAine. so we are like 15 hours apart . He was totally shocked when I was diag as I was young and NO risk factors and he couldn't be here with me . He and his wife contacted my family ( ALL OVER ) and they contacted friends.....They all sent and brought me angels, from pins , to staues , to cards, to playing cards. I Do collect the willow tree angels and have added to my collection . But he told me he sent them to watch over me and I have them ALl around my house to remind me of the LOVE of my family and friends and HOPEFULLY they are still watching over me !!

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

As the caregiver for Marvin. I would have to say that the money and cards were one of the best for us. We had to travel 120 miles each day for the treatments and with gas being high every little bit helped. Also since he was the main income for us and him not working the exta money went to pay the monthly bills. Our daughter had created a site for people to post notes to marvin and check on his progress. Marvin enjoyed getting on this site and hearing from all of his friends and family. I am sure that what every you do will be greatly appreciated by them all. It is great just to know you have friends out there willing to pray and help you out anyway that they can.

Barb
CG for Marvin.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Some of my best presents.........
letters from friends away, emails,
A new Egyptian cotton pillow--'to be comfortable and to cry into'..........
Books and magazines--mags are good for days when I can't concentrate fully,
Music downloaded onto an MP4 player,
A digital photo viewer--sits on top of the TV screen and my partner has loaded hundreds of photos for me--family, holidays, past events etc--it plays for hours!
Letters, emails...........again!
Basically---knowing people care!

Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!

For my mom, some of her best gifts were clothes - not because she loves getting new clothes, but because she had lost so much weight that she only had 3 outfits that fit her. The new tops or bottoms broke up the monotony a bit - especially when she was wearing the same things over and over again to treatments. The other thing that really helped was that friends with dogs would bring over their dogs when they came to visit. If your friend is a dog lover, I highly recommend it. My mom's face never looked happier than when our new neighbors came over with their puppy. I wish I had been able to take a picture.

Overall, anything helps. And, for those taking care of yoru friend, a pot of food is a huge help. I cannot tell you how many times my husband and I either did not eat dinner or wound up eating at 10pm after trying to get my mom settled for the night. A neighbor brought down a pot of chicken soup and some chicken stew one night and we felt like the luckiest people around.

Caretaker to my best friend, my mom. Age 60 - never smoked or drank. St IVA oropharynx. 37 radiation tx, 8 carboplatin tx. Diag 5/31/07-TX completed 8/16/07-good PET 10/10/07. Passed away 3/28/08 due to weakened blood vessels from tx. Now watching over her triplet grandsons born on 5/19/08.
Platinum Member (200+ posts)
Platinum Member (200+ posts)

When I was ill, I had a laptop, but did not have high speed internet access, so an antenae or other means for high speed access would be nice if they have that bent. It was a great way to spend some time, even though you feel horrible.

But to be honest, your thoughts and prayers mean as much as anything.

SCC, base of tongue, 2 lymph nodes, stage 3/4. 35 X's IMRT radiation, chemo: Cisplatin x 2, 5FU x2, & Taxol x2. Hooray, after 3 years I'm in still in remission.

When my son had been in the house for what seemed forever, I finally got him out of the house to go see a funny movie. We saw that Borat movie and it was so good just to hear him laugh - something he hadn't done in a long time. You can rent them or get them cheap at a used book store.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics