Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#24751 11-04-2007 08:56 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Okay I'll do the Pontchartrain sauce.

It is a sauce developed by Mr. Don Landry of Don's Seafood Restaurant that started in Baton Rouge back in the '60s. The Landry Family is known for their chain of Landry's Seafood Restaurants here in the US but unfortunately when they went to franchise most of the dishes lost the zing of the recipe's that Mr Don or his bothers (Pat, Jean, and Hymel) had in their cooking. It is primarily a wine/butter sauce with lots of garlic and several peppers thrown in, and in some cases lump crabmeat. Great on broiled or grilled fish

Cest Bon !!!!

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking
#24752 11-04-2007 09:08 AM

I knew I had this someplace:

Mr Don's Pontchartrain Sauce

1 sweet onion (softball size), peeled and chopped fine
1 cup Chardonnay wine
1 tablespoon butter (no margarine or any substitutions)
1 tablespoon flour
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup mushrooms, chopped fine
1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped fine
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup butter, chopped into 1 tablespoon pieces (no margarine or any substitutions)
salt or black pepper or cayenne pepper or tarragon

1. Cook the Chardonnay and the onion together over a low fire until the wine is reduced and the onion is very soft.
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in another heavy saucepan over medium heat.
3. Add the flour and whisk until blended.
4. Add the stock a little at a time, whisking constantly until blended and thickened.
5. Add the mushrooms, green pepper and garlic. Cover and simmer down until the vegetables are soft.
6. Remove from heat and add 1/2 cup of butter pieces until melted.
7. Add to the Chardonnay (which should now be reduced to a glaze) mixture.
8. Blend well over very low heat.
9. Season to taste with salt (may not be needed), black pepper, cayenne, and tarragon.

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking
#24753 11-04-2007 09:29 AM

To relate this to our discussion of cancer, you will note that this sauce does not have to be spicey. I, myself, cannot tolerate much spice, but I do enjoy good flavors. You can add any seafood you wish...shrimp, crawfish, crab....or a combo.

Thanks, Kevin. We ate sev. times at what I thought was the original Don's in Lafayette, LA, many, many years ago. I agree that Don's newer restaurants aren't the same, and that Landry's restaurants are a very poor representation of Cajun food.

I didn't know about the Landry family and Hymel's. That'll be next on my list.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#24754 11-04-2007 09:44 AM

You asked how we knew we had cancer....

Mine was on my gums, starting on the outside of a rear upper molar, where most of us get chewing injuries or aphthus ulcers. I complained of a tender area and an earache at my dental checkup. My dentist did not give it much attention. His notes say, "note some pocketing."

Six months later, I complained again, and he said that he "notes some pocketing" again and this time he cauterized the area! eek!

He did not have me return, nor did he consider that it might be serious.

Two months later, I felt an odd area on my palate, near that tooth. I looked myself, and it was very, very clear to me that something was not right! I could see that this area of concern on the outside (cheek) of the gums had spread along the gumline, and that it was also appearing now on the inside gumline, spreading the other direction, and that it had spread onto the hard palate. The areas were not terrible-looking...red, angry, with some speckles that sometimes were more obvious than at others. The area on the palate was round-ish, a little raised, but essentially flat.

I returned to the dentist, and can you believe this??? He STILL did not consider that it could be cancer! He CAUTERIZED it again, gave me an antibiotic, and sent me on my way, again without any sort of suggestion to return.

I did return the next day, insisted on being seen, and he eventually came out of his office, did not look inside my mouth but sent me downt he block to the periodontist (gum disease dentist) still insisting that this was periodontal disease.

The perio. immediately knew that it was cancer and sent me across the street (small town) to the oral surgeon, who also knew that it was cancer and immediately took an excisional biopsy.

The rest is history.

It is very obvious that my dentist did not know enough to recognize the cancer, even when it was classic and right in front of his face. He also was notnotnot up to date on the current mindset of watching for improvement in oral lesions and then doing biopsies sooner, rather than later.

And I was not informed either....not informed enough to insist....insist....on a return visit in a week to be certain that his treatment was being successful. THAT is a message that we must get out to the public.

So I, like so many others here, went undiagnosed for far too long, and of course it affected the extent of my surgery.

I am very fortunate--so far--to be cancer-free at nearly two years. But if I do turn up with some metastasis, I will feel that it was because it had so much time to travel undetected.

So far, so good.

BTW--I have not, of course, returned to that dentist, nor have we spoken. I had wanted a face-to-face with him, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. I might have to settle for writing him a letter. At least that way I can be certain to say what I wish to say.

He fell down on his duty. I should have been able to presume a certain level of proficiency in the professional care he offered to me, and his offense against me was clearly "a failure to diagnose." He failed to diagnose my cancer.....failed to even consider it out of either ignorance or arrogance. I don't know which.

What's done is done, and I don't choose to dwell on the negative feelings that thinking about him bring out for me. I am doing well, in spite of his inadequate treatment of me, and I thank God every day for that.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
#24755 11-04-2007 10:57 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Are dentists requires to check for this in a routine exam? I haven't been to the dentist in many years. I think that this disease would get people to their 6 month check up with bells on! I know the rest of my family will keep their appointments at the dentist. Especially my 16 year old son!

You know the silly part about my situation... I debated which doctor to go to. It was on my lip so is that for the dermatologist? Dentist? GP? Oral Surgeon? It seems like it took me a few days to decide on a doctor once I finally decided taht I should have this thing checked out. I chose the dermatologist. I arrived for my appointment and had it removed. It was so routine. Then as of Thursday my life has appeared to change.

BTW - any idea why my dermatologist is sending me to an ENT? Is an ENT better equipped to handle these things? I guess the real question I am asking is should I be seeing a different type of doctor? An oncologist? An oral surgeon?

Thanks!

South Louisiana - Cancerous growth removed from lip 10/07. Lesion removal & biopsy done 11/7/07 - no signs of cancer in area. PET scan done. No signs of cancer in Head & neck. Something in chest. CT to be done 12/20/07
#24756 11-04-2007 08:47 PM

Frank......I don't know what the best type of dr. would be. If I were you, I'd go on Tuesday and see what that dr. says. There is an overlap of surgeries done by different specialties. Most people seem to have their surgeries done by ENT's, often at a comprehensive cancer center. Plastic Surgeons also do cancer work on an area such as the lip. I have a friend from this forum ("Splenda") who had her oral surgery done in New Orleans by an ENT surgeon. Now the entire Head and Neck department at LSU-NO has moved to Baton Rouge. You can ask Splenda to tell you what she knows about those doctors.

My surgery was done at LSU in Shreveport, because I was told that "the man" was there. He is an oral and maxillofacial surgeon. He has both an MD and a DDS degree. He was able to do my extensive surgery without any incision on the outside of my face. I understand that many ENT's do this surgery by using a long incision that allows them better visualization.

See what they say on Tuesday, and then let us know. Between Splenda and me, we can tell you about the facilities in our state.

Depending on what sort of cancer it is, you will then be better prepared to make decisions. M.D.Anderson is not far from you, and might be well worth going for a consultation, again depending on what you find out on Tuesday.

There are lots of options, and plenty of people who can help you, once you know what you are dealing with.

#24757 11-04-2007 10:21 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Colleen!

I know it seems like I am rambling, but I am just thinking of all options and outcomes.

Well, at least we had a good football weekend in the state. The Tigers and Saints both won. My son's high school team is in the playoffs and have their first round game at home this week against Leesville. Looks to be a good game.

I am back to work this morning. I feel good. Nothing seems to be hurting this morning. None of the joint aches and pains woke up with me this morning.

Have a great day everybody!

South Louisiana - Cancerous growth removed from lip 10/07. Lesion removal & biopsy done 11/7/07 - no signs of cancer in area. PET scan done. No signs of cancer in Head & neck. Something in chest. CT to be done 12/20/07
#24758 11-05-2007 11:30 AM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi Brits,

A little help from a northener who knows just a little more than you.

Ponchatrain is a lake and I doubt that they make a sauce from the water. Actually, for all I know it may be a city, town or an area, too.

LSU is Louisiana State University. I think I got that one right.

I'm sure some southern folk will be around soon to straighten me out and this should hold you over till then.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#24759 11-05-2007 12:15 PM
OP Offline

Thanks Jerry! You almost got it right.

Ponchartrain is a sauce. (See recipe above in this post). It is also a Lake. No, the water is not used in the sauce.

All -- Tomorrow is the day. I see the ENT and hopefully find out what I have. I had a good day today. I was able to get my work done without too much distraction. My wife is comming with me in the event that I can't function as a rational adult.

It's not knowing that's the worst part. I know you all have been through it. I thank you all for allowing me to ramble on about it. It seems theraputic.

I keep hoping that this is a test that I must pass to do something greater with my life. Is this a sign? I know it's not a punishment - I don't believe God does that.

I must tell you all that I am scared right now. I feel like I should be eating Superfoods to combat cancer! Something like this puts things in perspective.

Thanks for all of your support! I will check-in tomorrow.

#24760 11-05-2007 02:34 PM

I knew I had the big C before I was diagnosed. My teeth started breaking off and my tongue hurt so bad it was hard to eat. I had a scope done on my esophagus and the Dr had already made an appt. for me before I came to. I'm glad I asked him to check my tongue before he put me to sleep. have a great day all.

Since posting this. UPMC, Pittsburgh, Oct 2011 until Jan. I averaged about 2 to 3 surgeries a week there. w Can't have jaw made as bone is deteroriating steaily that is left in jaw. Mersa is to blame. Feeding tube . Had trach for 4mos. Got it out April.
--- Passed away 5/14/14, will be greatly missed by everyone here
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users