Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Splenda Offline OP
OP Offline

Through this website, I found someone with similar surgery to my own, and it has been enormously helpful and supportive. I wondered if there is anyone else with a similar story.

Two years ago, I was treated for squamous cell carcinoma of the maxilla. I required a radical maxillectomy, (removal of the right upper jaw), and removal of a large portion of my hard palate. I also underwent 30 radiation treatments, although the cancer was Stage 1 and I had clear margins.

As of this writing, I am cancer free. I have had a series of dental complications related to the radiation therapy and also related to the need for an obturator, but I can deal with that! However, on the financial front, this dental care is enormously expensive, and it is not covered by my medical insurance, even though the dental problems are direct consequences of my cancer treatment. My Surgeon has written a letter to my insurer, asking them to consider allowing some of the expense to be covered by my medical insurance. As yet, I do not have a verdict. Has anyone else run into this? My Dentist and HN Physician are very clear that these dental problems would not have occurred had it not been for the extensive cancer and subsequent radiation, and I feel strongly that it should, at least partially, be covered. Nobody would dispute that complications of radiation therapy, anywhere else in the body, is a medical problem and, as such, is covered by medical insurance. I also would like to know if there is anywhere else that I can take this issue.

Any feedback would be most appreciated. Carol

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I agree Splenda, but try posting this in the insurance forum as well...might help. Deb

Deb..caregiver to husband, age 63 at diagnosis, former smoker who quit in 1997.
DIAGNOSIS: 6/26/07 SCC right tonsil/BOT T4N0M0
TREATMENT START: 8/9/07 cisplatin/taxol X 7..IMRT twice daily X 31.5.
TREATMENT END: 10/1/07
PEG OUT: 1/08
PORT OUT: 4/09
FOLLOWUP: Now only annual exams. ALL CLEAR!

Passed away 1/7/17 RIP Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics