Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Dusty Offline OP
OP Offline

Hi.

My husband, Pete (aged 63) was diagnosed with Stage I cancer of the tongue in April 2007. He had surgery on May 1, and because there were abnormal cells deeper into the margins than originally thought he received six grueling weeks of radiation. He received good follow-up appts with both the radiation oncologist and the ENT who performed the original surgery. His pain level also seemed to be diminishing, he lowered his pain medication doses substantially, and his eating/swallowing seemed to be improving each week. Following his follow-up with the ENT he seemed to have an increase in his pain level of the surgical site while eating and swallowing often radiating into his ear. After approx. 2 weeks of little relief, we rescheduled an appt. with the ENT who again could see nothing abnormal and felt the pain was related to scar tissue. Last week I scheduled an appt. with our family physician (also a family friend) for Tues. 10/23 as I am very concerned about this situation. In the meantime, my husband has noticed another hard lump on his tongue right near the surgical site, which he originally said was unlike his original lump as it was not painful to the touch. However, as of this morning he said the lump is painful when he presses on it. I receive allergy shots on Mondays at the ENT office and hope to have him recheck my husband tomorrow morning, but in the meantime I am flipping out!!! I really could use someone to talk to. . . thanks for listening!

~Regards
Dusty
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

Hi Dusty
its easy to say dont worry because it goes with the territory,so instead i will say good luck,i will be thinking of you and let us know how it goes.

love liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dusty, I understand your concern and hope for you and Pete that this turns out to be some other kind of irritation, not any kind of recurrence.

Nelie

SCC(T2N0M0) part.glossectomy & neck dissect 2/9/05 & 2/25/05.33 IMRT(66 Gy),2 Cisplatin ended 06/03/05.Stage I breast cancer treated 2/05-11/05.Surgery to remove esophageal stricture 07/06, still having dilatations to keep esophagus open.Dysphagia. "When you're going through hell, keep going"
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Dusty,
I hope for the best for you and your husband.
Mariam

Caregiver to father,Frank -Tonsil SCC spread to base of tongue 2 lymph, T2N2M0 stage 4a, IMRT 35x, Erbitux 8x-stopped after 5 due to thrush infection and strp infection in PEG,diag Aug 07 tx concluded Nov 8 07 PEG issues Inpatient Oct 8th-Nov 8th.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Dusty: DO keep us posted as to Pete's progress. We really do care!
We're all pulling for the BOTH of you!

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!

Hi Dusty,
I pray it's nothing. BUT, if it is cancer again..........know that he can do what needs to be done. I'm in the middle of my second round with this cancer and I can firmly say that we are all stronger than we think.

Keep us posted.
Minnie

SCC Left Mandible. Jaw replaced with bone from leg. Neck disection, 37 radiation treatments. Recurrence 8-28-07, stage 2, tongue. One third of tongue removed 10-4-07. 5-23-08 chemo started for tumor behind swallowing passage, Our good friend and much loved OCF member Minnie has been lost to the disease (RIP 10-29-08). We will all miss her greatly.

Hi Dusty,

I'll be hoping for the best. Please let us know how Pete's Doctor's appt. goes today. My thoughts are with both of you- Carol

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Dusty, by now I am hoping that you have gotten some medical advice and are on your way to knowing what's going on. I hopehopehope that all is ok. There is so much that goes on after these surgeries that it is hard to know what is important and what is "normal." (What IS normal??? I guess I mean "the NEW Normal." Nerves are funny things. They don't like to be interfered with. I hope that they are simply letting you know. Please check back with us to let us know. We are gonna worry until you do.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23