Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Greetings

I am a 50 year old survivor of squamous cell cancer. I had a radical neck diseection which removed lymph nodes and a small part of my tongue. This was followed by agressive raditaion, chemotherapy and a new treatment called urbitux (sp?). To date I am cancer free but I have been left unable to eat solid foods due to scar tissue in my throat. I am able to swallow but unable to pass anythng of substance through my throat, only broth/water. I also have a problem with thick mucus being generated from the lower part of my tongue which i am unable to swallow so I have to constantly use a napkin to remove it. I have consulted with Sloan Kettering about seeking a surgical solution to correct the eating situation but was advised that any type of surgery would be too risky. I am seeking a solution or advice as to what to do next.I live off a J-Tube consuming 10 cans of Ensure a day which keep me nourished and holds my weight after losing 65 pounds. Please let me know if anyonoe has any suggestions or counsel. Blessings. JOHN

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi John

A little more information would be helpful.

How long past treatments are you? What you're describing sounds typical of what most of us experienced right after finishing treatments.

I am 9 months out and just now beginning to be able to eat most meats due to the fact it was just to dry and would get stuck in my throat.

Kevin

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking

I'm trying to find anyone who has been diagnosed with adenoid cystic cancer. This is a cancer that is found in the mouth. Mine was found in the lateral nasal wall and skull base.

ACC stage 2 in lateral nasal wall, Craniotomy and Rhinotomy 5/15/07. IMRT started 8/30/07. kimberly mitcham

Kimberly --

I moved your post to a separate thread (still in the Introduce Yourself forum) so any answers to your question won't get buried in the "conversation" that was already started.

-- Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23