Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#24416 10-03-2007 11:16 AM
Steven Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello all,
Not sure if this site and all the reading I've done on the computor is helping me or making things worse, quite frankly. Unfortunately, I have read about so many who have passed away after being on this site that it has me a bit shaken about my situation.
I was treated for Stage iv Base of Tongue Squamous Cell cancer that was diagnosed in January of 2007 with my staging being T2N2bMO after 3 biopsies were performed and the primary was confirmed in February. In March I began 33 IMRT Radiation treatments with Cyslatin Chemo on days 2,21, and 42. I finished tratment on April 20,2007 and had my Peg tube removed in August. So basicly I have been finished with treatment for 5+ months and I am still having problems with fatigue, very thick stringy saliva, throat discomfort, upper back pain, and severe nuaprothy in my feet and hands. I did have a cat scan of my brain, neck and chest 8 weeks after treatment which showed abnormal findings in the center and right side of my Base of Tongue and unfortunately my RO thought their was a 85% chance my tumor had spread from the left side of my Base of Tongue and that my tumor was inoperable. My brain scan and chest scan came back as being normal. I then went to see a surgeon at John Hopkins for a second opinion and he felt after reviewing my scan that my tongue could be showing dead or scar tissue from the radiation, so a biopsy would be needed. 5 weeks later I did receive the results of a biopsy performed by my Surgeon at Emory University in Atlanta and it came back as being negative for any cancer. Unfortunately, I spent 5 weeks thinking that their was a 85% chance I was basicly going to dye if my RO was correct.
I'm 54 and prior to being diagnosed with throat cancer, I was extremely active. In 1996 I did the World Championship Ironman in Kona , Hawaii, and I have always stayed in good shape by exercising about 2 hours almost every morning before work. This treatment has beaten the hell out of me and I never dreamed that I would be basicly totally disabled from my second month of treatment and for 4 months therafter. To the contrary my doctors predicted I would be up and running in 3 months(2 months of treatment and 1 of recovery). I am now working part time as a Civil Trial Attorney, but it has been difficult and my constantly having to spit in a cup this awful wallpaper paste stringy saliva is driving me crazy and is inbarrasing. Yes, it has gotten better over time as I needed to spit about every 10 minutes 24 hours a day after about 20 Radiation treatments. I am now sleeping thru the night and can spit when I wake up and during the day every a few times every hour or so. It seems to get worse in the evening. I also still have this uncomfortable not so severe pain in the back of my throat from where the thick saliva comes from, but its definately below where my tumor was in my Tongue.
Also, I have read so much about reoccurance and lung metastasis that I AM NOW MAKING MYSELF CRAZY worrying about the pain in my throat, the pain in my back, and slight discomfort in the lower part of my rib cage on occassion as being lung cancer even though I had a chest scan about 17 weeks ago. I spend much too much time reading about throat cancer here on the web, including this site as I am making myself crazy worrying about these symptoms.
So their you have it. Curious to know?
-Have any others suffered from thick stringy saliva 5+ months after treatment of radiation and chemo?
-Have others had throat pain and/or throat discomfort 5+ months after radiation and chemo was completed?
-Have others suffered from Nuaprothy, severe numness in their hands and feet after Cisplatin Chemo and if so how long did it take to get better?
-Should I be worried about this pain in my upper back and chest?.....I'm concerned the cancer has spread to my lungs but I'm not coughing, spitting blood or having any trouble breathing.
Thanks for any thoughts or advises you might have?
Regards and best wishes to all, Steven

SCC Base of Tongue
Stage IV T2N2bM0
IMRTx32, Cisplatin x3
Diagnosed 1/25/07
Treatment Completed 4/20/07
Scans all good as of October,2011
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Steven,
I'm happy to hear you are doing well. Don't let the bad news and recurrence stuff get you down or make you crazy. It is just a topic that all cancer patients have to face sometime or another. We just tend to pay more attention to it after we have fought the beast.
Thick stringy saliva. It's a result of injury to the salivary glands as a result of the chemo and radiation treatment. This can take a long time to improve and unfortunatly for some it never does. I'll send you some info on a future post on things you can do to try and deal with it and possibly improve it.
Throat pain. Can be a result of treatment, chemo and radiation I suggest you talk to your Dr.'s.
Neuropathy and numbness can be the result of chemo and will usually improve, once again, talk to your Dr.'s.
Pain in neck and chest. Did you have a neck dissection surgery as part of your treatment?
If so, this could be a result of that.
Do you have follow-up evaluation scheduled? Ask these questions.

The internet can be a great source of good information. I have found that there is also a wealth of inaccurate and wrong information on many sites that can scare the hell out of people. Be careful what you believe.
Remeber, every cancer is different, every patient is different, and every treatment will affect people in different ways.

I hope this is of some use to you.
E-mail or PM me anytime.

Cheers,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Me2 Offline
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hi Steven - I wanted to welcome a fellow Atlantan. I am sorry that I can't really answer your questions related to radiation and chemo side effects, as I did not have either, just surgery. But I can definitely relate to your fears about recurrence, as I think most of us here can. Unfortunately it's something that we all live with but I try hard not to let it overtake my life or thoughts. I have learned to be thankful for the good things in life, and not wait to enjoy them!!!

Ginny M. SCC of Left lateral tongue Dx 04/06,Surgery MDACC 05/11/06: Partial glossectomy with selective neck dissection. T1N0M0 - no radiation. Phase III clinical trial ("EPOC" trial)04/07 thru 04/08 because tests showed a 65% chance of recurrence. 10 Year Survivor!

Steven, welcome to this site. I did not experience any of the saliva problems you are going thru. My biggest side effect with saliva is the lack of it. I constantly keep a bottle of water with me 24/7 no matter where I go. If I cough or sneeze real hard then I feel the pain in the back of my throat. From the way I read your post it sounds like you may be suffering from data overload. Sure it is great to be informed about what you are going thru but even with information, it can be a tough thing to handle. Don't convince yourself there is something wrong. If the pain in your chest is uncomfortable then call your MO and ask about it. In regards to the numbness, yes I had/have it. The numbness in my fingers is pretty much gone but both of my feet feel as though they are asleep all the time. The way I look at it now is this damn sure beats the alternative. Who are your docs at Emory? That is where I had my treatment and really think highly of all my docs.

Bill B. Dx 10-16-06 Stage 4 T2N2bM0 SCC Left Tonsil,3 nodes. 1st tx 11-28-06, last tx 1-8-07. 3x Cisplatlin, 5fu pump, and Doxetaxel. Modified neck dissection,20 Nodes removed, all clear 02-21-07. HPV+,33 IMRT start 3-22-07 70GY,Completed 05-04-07 smile
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Welcome, Steven.

I am five years out from surgery, rad, and chemo, although not for base of tongue.

The neuropathy I experienced in my feet is now gone. My saliva, while slightly thicker than pre-tx, does not involve spitting, and I have plenty of it. As I recall, this condition did not happen overnight, so hang in there.

About throat pain, I do know that when I got tense, shortly after treatment end, my throat would hurt.

I would guess that the worry you express, understandably, is causing a good deal of stress, which of course will cause muscle pain. Going from being extremely active to nothing, will play havoc with your muscles also. Try some gentle stretching, some regular walking. Physical therapy or even massage may help a good deal.

Everyone heals at a different rate. Try to accept that you are now cancer free and go forward with that thought. You can live waiting for the other shoe to drop, or you can just get on with your life. If you do what your doctors recommend, go to all follow-up appointments, and avoid obviously risky behaviors, there is not much more you can do, so worry will only slow you down.

Finally, where you are now is NOT where you will be in six months. You are a work in progress!

Joanna

Steven -- I understand exactly what you are feeling, though I did not have as persistent a problem with the saliva.

I am 3 months out from end of treatment for SCC at BOT. I am also a "recovering" civil trial attorney, having retired from that field after 20 years and moving into software design and project management. I have the neuropathy in the hands and arms, which in my case is partly due to muscle spasms in neck adn shoulders as the nerves from neck dissection come back to life, and partly from chemo/radiation.

I find myself thinking about recurrence a lot, though it is getting somewhat better after another positive follow up visit with my surgeon and MO this past week. I am waiting for the results from my first post-treatment CT/PET scan, but am not overly worried at this point.

The other comments are right on point -- recovery from this deal is a process, and it never goes as fast as we like. Enjoy the fact that you are cancer free, and just live the best you can for today. I work hard, play golf, go see my son play in the marching band at his college, and do whatever else I can to enjoy my days.

Stick around this forum -- great support and great information. Good luck.

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!

Steven,

I too had the thickened saliva issue for about 4-5 weeks. I was spitting every 10 minutes or so. I was carrying a plastic cup with me at all times. I discovered that I had to retrain myself to swallow. If you are at the point now that you do swallow from time to time, it may be a matter of just retraining. It took me about a week to retrain, but I was then back to normal. Try focusing on swallowing all the time. Be carefull not to let the saliva accumulate in your mouth. Swallow as often as you can and you may find that it goes away.

Good Luck,
Rob J.

6-05, Left Tonsil-T1N2bM0 stageIVA, chemo(Cisplatin), radiation(6660cGy), neck disection, no PEG. HPV negative. (Doc suspects posit)
3-9-09 last of 30 HBO treatments.

Dear Steven, Greetings!
I strongly suggest to you to think positive. Visualise yourself as free of disease and quickly getting back to full steam work.
I assure you that this works.
Getting a recurrence of the disease is not in our hands but to stop worrying about it and making ourselves miserable is. Stop worrying. God has given us this life and it is for him to worry about it!! You simply live your life every minute and enjoy the sensation of BEING ALIVE RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!
Love
Dileep

Dileep :-)
Ca Rt BM, T1 N0 M0, Surgery with palatal flap and STG 2nd Aug 2007.Here's to life. Dont let the pain get to you! Know that you are alive to experience it!!
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

Hey Steven .Glad you found your way here,and are getting some positive replies to your questions.As i said in my e-mail yesterday,i am very sorry if pointing you in the direction of more information was counter productive,but i am sure these guys will help you through

good luck liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
Steven Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you all so much for responding. All of you had good advise for the taking and I am actually feeling better about things today. I think I was suffering from computor information overload and letting some of the negative stuff get the best of me. I know I need to keep a posative attitude. Whatever my fate shall be I need to spend whatever time I have in life trying to be posative about the future so that life will be enjoyable and not full of fear and depression. I know that and hope to do my best to stick to posative thinking about my future health.
Bill, my doctors at Emory are Amy Chen,surgeon: Dong Shin, oncologist and Peter Johnstone,RO. Dr. Johnstone will be leaving the end of October as he has taken a new position at Indiana University. Did you have any of the same doctors?
Regards to all, Steven

SCC Base of Tongue
Stage IV T2N2bM0
IMRTx32, Cisplatin x3
Diagnosed 1/25/07
Treatment Completed 4/20/07
Scans all good as of October,2011
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311