Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi everyone,

My deepest sympathies to those who have passed on - Robin, Alan, and Petey to name of few whose posts or those of their spouses on the Board showed me the inner strength that everyone has to dig down for when facing cancer. All of you have leant your experiences, knowledge and feelings which have helped our little family through these tough months.

My husband had his two month post-treatment appointment at the BC Cancer Agency last Thursday. He was only down about 3 lbs from his last appointment and had stopped using the PEG so they removed it that day. The oncologist mentioned there was necropsy (sp?) of the tissue and nerves on the right side of the tongue which was why he couldn't stick it out and only time would tell if there was regeneration where the radiation did its thing. His energy levels have come back a little better each week to the point he started back on a part-time basis at work. Originally he thought he was ready to go in early August but I managed to talk him out of that - I was going through the wringer so he could get his stamina and health back, NOT so he could work! He got the hint when he golfed a full 18 holes for the first time and when our childcare for the next day fell through, he uttered the title of my great novel (LOL): "If I am able to golf 18 holes, I can help out with the kids". After swim lessons in the morning and a full day with our 2 1/2 year old and 8 month old, he was conked out for the next day.

Eating is coming also with things like pasta and veggies, but the cans of Ensure, etc. make him sick now! Chocolate milk and Starbucks bottled frappichino are favorites now and even ice cream is making a comeback (left to soften and warm up first though). Taste does not seem to have been affected too much although there is no saliva to speak of.

The toddler is better at night now that Sam can speak again and tuck her in. The baby is still unpredictable and can be up 2-3 times in a night which makes my half days back at work very rough. You can bet I'm going to post to this board the first time he sleeps through!!! He is the length/height of a 15 month old at 9 months and doesn't believe in sitting idle. Sam mentioned that the little guy's smiles helped him through many a tough patch.

The PET/CTscan will not be done until October and we'll have to wait until October 16th when we see the doctor again for the results. Please keep the good thoughts and prayers coming our way just a little longer!

All the best,

Elaine

Caregiver to husband 43, non-smoker, social drinker diagnosed Mar07 SCC tongue lymph node involvement. Started treatment May 2/07 35 radiation tx with 7 Cisplatin boosters completed June 22/07. Clear PETScan Oct 07
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Elaine,
This is close to my heart although, the cancer is different the description is all too familiar to me, honestly, I was brought to tears when I read about the "Little guys smiles". My prayers and all my heart and thoughts are with you Elaine and your husband and the children. (Much more than you know)
I'm happy for you and your family that your husband is healing and getting along well.
I can relate to the young children in your household. My son was 7 months old when I was hospitalized for my cancer treatment. I agree when you say the little guy's "smiles" help him. I remeber like it was yesterday, I was so scared for my young wife and moreso for my son. Would I see him walk would I hear his first words and how would my wife cope without me?
Well, I heard his first word, "stone", Dr. Robert Stone was my surgeon. I was there for his first step...in my hospital room...he learned to walk when I could not. I had sarcoma in my right leg and skin grafts from my left. That was all 10 years ago, August 22.
What an incredible journey.
I truly believe had it not been for Liam's, little smiles, coloring (scribbling with crayons) and falling asleep in my hospital bed and later on the fold out couch at home that I would have lost my will.
I, of course, pushed myself, sometimes to my detriment to do everything with him. I was not going to let cancer deprive me of every moment with my son.
Now, 10 years later, Liam is my best friend and he is 10. Wow! I've seen more first than I ever thought I would. My daughter, Kaitlynn, is eight and she owns my heart. My wife, I owe her my life!!
You sound like you have the same spirit as Janice... I'm sure she was scared, and at times wanted to kill me due to my stubbornness...but she supported me, laughed with me, cried with me...Loved me.

Ooops, I'm wandering here...what's my point....

If I beat it so can your husband.

Keep strong and love those "smiles"!!

E-mail me anytime.
I'll be checking in on you.

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Hi eileen i am so very happy to read your encouraging news.Pass on my congrats to hubby and take care both.

lover liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi, Eileen, Such good news! And I wanted to share that my 11 mo. old grandson is wearing 24 mo. clothes and, now that he is walking, is in to everything, so I can relate to you on several levels. I hope you start getting a full night's sleep very soon, I know you need it. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

JAM,
Sounds like a success story to me...minus the cleanup.
Live well,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics