Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24233 09-01-2007 07:05 PM
Senior Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline

Hi I am glad to have found this group because I have no one to talk to. My mom has already watched my baby brother and then my dad lose thier fight to the C word and now I have been diagnosed. I am not totaly sure of what it is that I have I thought I had thrush. The Dr said it was squamous cell and now we found a bigger spot down in my throat. I can't tell anyone what is going on in my head so hopefully I can here. I guess I am scared because of what I have read and what my Dr said. He said they used to cut the tounge and voice box out but now radiation can help. WOW. I like to talk to much and the job I have I have to talk. I work with the public.Yeah I know I am rambling but what can I say. My ENT Dr has to do a laryenscopy I know that is spelled wrong but anyway I don't have insurance I mean I make 7.00an hour and have two daughters at home to raise. Any way he wants 850.00 up front to do that test and informed me he wasn't a bank. So I take my grocery money and all my bill money and still come up short but I still have to have that test what do I do Not have it? No I don't get medicade and I don't have a rich uncle. I am mad as rip at this Dr but that is his job and he went to school for it so yeah I can understavnd his point. HE really is a good man even if he is a jerk. I am sure this is not what I was supposed to be writting on my introduction page but I forget sometimes what I am doing.Let me introduce myself, I am Brenda mom of 5. Granny of 6. I work full time at a garden center and really love my job. Ok so for being unsure what ekse to say I close for now. Brenda

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
#24234 09-02-2007 04:05 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Brenda --

By coming here, you have found yourself the absolutely best place to learn about this disease, and the support you will receive here will prove invaluable. Take some time to look through the main part of the site as well (link to the OCF homepage is at the bottom of each message-board page) -- the many pages of information there, along with the message-board postings, should help answer any questions you now have.

Are you aware of the Georgia Cancer Coalition ? This page of the website describes a program to help uninsured Georgia residents who have cancer get treatment. I don't know whether your situation falls within the program's guidelines, but this seems like a place to start.

Keep coming back with any questions, comments, rants, etc.

All the best,
Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
#24235 09-02-2007 04:34 AM

Brenda,
Don't let $$$$$$, or the lack of, stop you from getting treatment! Go to the closest cancer center and ask to see a social worker. They can give you lots of direction and resources available. They also have someone who can reassess your need for medicaid. There are foundations and generous people out there who have suffered before us, and they are willing to help those of us who have little money to fight with. You provide the determination and you will find those who can provide the assistance for you. In our state (NC) there is a credit program called Care Credit........I don't believe it is just NC but I will look up some info and post for you on this forum. Get your running shoes on and get ready to fight. We are here to help!
God Bless you and your family,

Judy and Jack

Judy CG, Jack: Age 64,never smoked, heavy drinker 18 yrs sober, Base of tongue(BOT) cancer,scc, stage III/IVA, T2, N2, M0 Diagnosed 6/07, Treatment at Rex Cancer Center, Raleigh NC, Treatment Plan: Undetermined at this time
#24236 09-02-2007 04:39 AM

Ok, I should have figured this out!!!! Go to www.carecredit.com and you will find out all of the specifics. I am planning to apply for that myself later today. I believe this is a finance free or low finance opportunity. Best of luck,

Judy and Jack

Judy CG, Jack: Age 64,never smoked, heavy drinker 18 yrs sober, Base of tongue(BOT) cancer,scc, stage III/IVA, T2, N2, M0 Diagnosed 6/07, Treatment at Rex Cancer Center, Raleigh NC, Treatment Plan: Undetermined at this time
#24237 09-02-2007 05:01 AM

Dear Brenda,

I posted a response to your General Board post. The John B Amos Cancer Center is a comprehensive facility which also means they are staffed with an incredible financial support team. Do not trade food and bill money for your health care. There are a myriad of options that this team will explore with you. You just need to get there right away. They will not turn you away nor will they hold back, regardless of the expense, the very best and latest techniques for your situation. Trust that there are people and programs waiting for you, it's what they do, and they do it well. You do not need a referral, just walk through the door and go to reception, they'll take it from there. Do not anticipate anything, you just do not know, let faith be your strength, and allow some of the best help you. Just walk through the door and let the healing begin.

Frank

SCC, dx July 2006,Stage II,front third of tongue, surgery Oct 16, 2006, radical neck dissection, 20 lymph nodes removed right side negative, tongue resection,IMRT Dec.2006-Jan.2007 45X,T2N0M0, no chemo. Roswell Park Cancer Institute Buffalo, NY.
#24238 09-02-2007 04:10 PM
OP Offline

Thank you all so much I am sure going to check into these things. I have done alot of thinking and praying and I am sure the Good Lord will be with me as he is with everyone else I think He made me come to this web site. I am not a super religous person but I do believe that things are not done just in random. So again thank you for the input. I am on my way. Holding my head up and hopefully will continue holding it up. Brenda

49 years young 9/2007 Squamous Cell Carcinoma 33 rad treatments. One year later, 9/17/2008 50 years old through the Grace of God. last check up all clear. Living life as it comes to me.
#24239 09-03-2007 03:49 AM

Brenda,
I wish the BEST of luck to you and your current situation. I understand from being a adult that recently lost her Daddy to cancer, how your kids must feel right now. Reading your story bring back the recent feelings from June 2007, when I found out my Daddy had cancer.

As for your financial situation, please use the various resources outlined for you above. I believe all of them will be fruitful to look into. In addition, go back and apply for Medicaid.

First, the social worker at your doctors' office (if there was one) should have suggested this from the beginning of the diagonsis, especially if you have no other insurance. You have paid into this system....no matter what you have made over your lifetime. You have a RIGHT to have your return on investment, during your time of need, which is now.

Considering what you are making and the number of children you have, it should be no reason for the state to turn you down. It does not sound like you are too proud to ask for help but, if you are....don't worry about it....this is your life and your kids want you here!

Keep us updated on your progress and I will pray for you and your family!

Sincerely,
Monica

#24240 09-04-2007 03:07 PM

Brenda, call the social services rep at Winship Cancer Institute at Emory University in Atlanta. I went and a couple others went through our treatments there. I don't know where in Georga you live but this is a really good treatment center. The Otolarangology (?) dept was ranked number 5th in the country. I wouldn't wait another minute.

Bill B. Dx 10-16-06 Stage 4 T2N2bM0 SCC Left Tonsil,3 nodes. 1st tx 11-28-06, last tx 1-8-07. 3x Cisplatlin, 5fu pump, and Doxetaxel. Modified neck dissection,20 Nodes removed, all clear 02-21-07. HPV+,33 IMRT start 3-22-07 70GY,Completed 05-04-07 smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23