Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#24167 08-27-2007 07:39 PM
JT2 Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

I am writing a eulogy to my friend Lynn, who passed away yesterday morning, August 26, 2007 at 0430 hours local time (PST). She knew not of this website, nor of any others as she was not knowledgeable about computers, although they were of her generation. She had celebrated only 42 birthdays on the planet.

Her story might not be the typical inspiration we recognize in this forum, but all stories are equal in my opinion, and are as deserving to be told as any other - regardless of how it might be interpreted.

Lynn's story of cancer is short and to the point, not that there is so little to tell nor that its content was unclear. Rather, there was only four abbreviated months between diagnosis and death - short by today's standards - and she was not known to the few who might have rallied to her support (this website.)

Her life was like most others - of her own creation. The bed she made for herself offered neither comfort nor sanctuary. Her dreams were nightmares when compared to what most people's might experience, where she counted demons instead of sheep.

I believe you get back what you hand out in life. Lynn might have posed as the poster girl for that truism. The abused became the abuser, first of others and then of herself. Her cries for help and attention were rarely if ever heard, and sadly, the concept of "belief" was unfamiliar to her which meant she could not enable the inherent power that we find in mutual trust, in the caring of others, in the goodwill of humanity, or in the development of self-confidence.

A single individual cannot possess one hundred percent of any one thing in life, and a count of what Lynn had would reveal that she possessed fewer of life's more desirable attributes than most people. Yet her needs and potential contributions were as evident in Lynn as they were in others. In her case, unfortunately, they were harder to identify and develop especially when she had to go it alone.

It came as no surprise that Lynn found herself ill-equipped for the upcoming battle. Alone in a morass of cancer, Lynn had no safety network that she could rely on to help cushion her fall.

It made me appreciate how fortunate I was having built a powerful mental attitude as an ally during times of duress. I suspect that most of us fail to acknowledge within ourselves the magnitude such an advantage gives us when compared to someone as defenceless as Lynn. I am convinced that confronting cancer without adequate attitude preparation becomes a flirtation with disaster and an invitation to hell.

Lynn's abuse of her body knew no boundary. She was a power drinker to the last shooter, a chain smoker who paused only to flick her Bic, and a crack cocaine user with life as she knew it measured in twenty dollar pipe-fulls.

She accelerated through life with her finger fixed on the fast-forward button, and may never have fully contemplated an idea or a concept throught to its end. She anticipated conversation with impatience, and mindful of not wasting time, would assist a speaker to the end of the sentence. There was never enough time to listen to something once, but she could always find more to have it repeated again. Hurry up just to slow down. Whenever Lynn came to visit I was unable to create an environment where she could rid herself of anxiety and experience freedom of thought.

I would have needed a much larger sword to swashbuckle my way through all the pirates that stood in the way. Basic contact between Lynn and I was not destined to be. As a result, the planned "Check-up from the Neck-up" fell by the wayside, as did the "Mental Boot Camp". With no strategy in place, what possible chance did she have against the rampant spread of mutating cells that were conspiring to divide and conquer her every resistance ?

Long before assuming her battle stance, Lynn should have been instructed in the proper use of whatever weapons she could muster in order to build self-confidence and arouse her passion to fight.

Lynn was not the first person to be burdened with disadvantage and she will not be the last. Those who are critical of people in Lynn's position may say that one's fortunes in life are a matter of making the right choices. However, there is much more to living a meaningful life than simply making the right choices, as destiny, karma and divine intervention often play a more significant role. While personal choices may affect the quality of one's life to some degree, the influences that determine our existence on a more global scale are well beyond the reach of mere mortals.

It could be argued that we are in our best state of preparedness at the moment of birth when instinct governs our actions and we have not yet succumbed to the effects of parental imprinting, negative conditioning, or hysteria.

The first decision a fetus makes is to be born, and from that moment on life is a battle for survival. The rules of engagement for cancer are silent with respect to equity or justice, and where time keeps no universal schedule. Lynn's doctor forecasted a year of increasing pain and decreasing mobility, and she was sent home without any hope for tomorrow. Despite a verbal show of courage, Lynn's strength could not restrain the advancing pace of the disease that overwhelmed her defences within a fraction of the allotted time.

It is hoped that this eulogy will serve as humble notice that cancer knows no favorite, and when compared to my friend Lynn, the reader may not be as unfortunate or bereft of alternatives as was she.

Should you be listening Lynn, I wish you Godspeed and safe passage for the remainder of your journey, and that you shall always sail with fair winds and a following sea.

Your friend on Earth;
John,
JT2

Age 55 at Dx,smoker 30 yrs ago, drinker 8 yrs ago; Stage 4 Squamous cell carcenoma T4a N3; 35 radiation tx, 3 chemo w/ Cisplatin, radical neck dissection,40 hyperbaric dives pre-surgery. Clinical remission since May 2006; Update: declared cancer free July 16, 2010! Miracles can happen...
#24168 08-27-2007 09:11 PM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

I'm very sorry for your loss.This is very nice what you wrote.I'm sure she sees it.My prayers are with you.

lynn

linda anderson
#24169 08-27-2007 11:16 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

A lovely eulogy--sounds like Lynn dit it 'her way'---and who of us should say she was wrong??

Cancer IS a beast, and with the best will in the world and all the fighting and girding imagineable, it will pick off as and when it decides.

For me, the fight is to simply live with it as best I can--at least Lynn was spared 8 months of the 'increasing/decreasing' bit--take comfort from that.

I'm sorry for your loss John

Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
#24170 08-28-2007 09:07 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

So sorry for the loss of your friend. LJ

CG to husband 53,39 rads. 3 rds cisplastin ended 6/2/07 Tonsils removed 1.10.07 11 of 20 nodes positive- lump removed on rt. side of neck 1/26/07 cancer of nasal pharnyx TXN2MX 2nd rd. of chemo- carbo/taxol on 6/11/07
#24171 08-28-2007 03:26 PM

This is by far one of the saddest stories I have ever read....too late we wonder....'what might have been'....

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend, John.

God bless you for your caring heart....Lois

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
#24172 08-28-2007 04:00 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

So very sorry for the loss of your young friend.
God Bless,

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
#24173 08-29-2007 02:32 AM

Sorry for your loss John.
What you wrote is beautiful and so touching.
God Bless you both,
Donna

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
#24174 08-29-2007 02:20 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Sorry to read about your loss of Lynn, God Bless, Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics