Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline

Hi My name is Leslie and I have not been on the website for almost two years. Your changes are remarkable.

Unfortunately, I am back asking for your help and guidance. My father was would have been free of treatment for two years this coming October. Today he was diagnosed with tongue cancer before he was treated for SCC in the Buccal Mucosa. The new cancer is on the other side of his mouth. His last treatment was surgery and radiation. They told him at that time their was no lymph node invasion but his Radial Oncologist was not convinced of that. He was treated at UCSF for radiation and surgery at Kaiser.

At the time of his treatment we were told Chemo was still a considered clinical trial.

Can anyone provide me with an up to date website or info. I will need as much help as possible with good up to date research because my brother was just diagnosed with colon cancer and we are trying to help him to with information too

Thank you in advance.

Leslie

"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

hi leslie as far as your dads problem is concerned i think you will find every thing you need here. Try reading brians post about using this site,as for your brothers log in to cancerback up uk

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hi leslie,

First I will add your dad and you to my prayers.

Second His new cancer is not necessarily a recurrence of the first regardless, treatment options have not significantly changed in the last two years. Chemo is an aid to cancer treatment and to the best of my knowledge clinical standards for chemo in oral cancer have been around for a long time although, the compilation of drugs and/or concentration may have changed for SCC, there has been an accepted chemo "cocktail" for oral SCC for 10 plus years.

Salient lymph node testing prior to surgery is gaining popularity with oncologists to rule out lymph node involvement. Ask his Doctor if this is an option in your fathers situation.
I am sorry to hear about your brother as well. A double whammy for you...keep strong!! I do not have any info to add. Cookey's suggestion seems to be a very good resource I checked it out.
Keep us posted and keep asking questions, I've only been here for a couple of days but this is by far the best site I've been associated with.

Think positive,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Leslie: Kindly post again and let us know what's going on with your father and your brother. I hope that you were able to access the information you were seeking. If not, please advise, and I'm sure there are many here who will readily assist you.

In the meantime, you and your family are in our prayers!

Lois & Buzz in NC

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
OP Offline

Thank you all for responding to my first inquiry. I have been preparing for my Dads visit to his surgeon at the end of this week. I was reviewing his latest biopsy report from the Pathologist and noticed in the HISTORY area it stated; he had Leukoplakia right tongue as well as what his first diagnosis was two years ago. I was reviewing my notes and one of our questions two years ago was about a hot spot on the right side of his PET scan and his surgeon said it did not concern him. Now 22 months later my Dad's Path report states invasive moderately differentioated SCC designated right tongue. His surgeon and dentist tell us this is a new cancer and not related to his original cancer.

I have been reading that a Leukoplakia should be biopsied when found because it could be the first sign of SCC. Do you think we should bring this up to the surgeon?

My Dad and I keep hearing radiation can be done only once. If he was radiated last time on the left side could they not radiate the right side.

Do you know of other treatment options he may have after he has the neck dissection and surgery? He has Kaiser and they use methods that are cost effective in other wards there treatment plan is not always the most progressive.

Any thoughts?

Leslie

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users