Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#24071 08-19-2007 04:19 AM
"OCF Canuck"
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
"OCF Canuck"

Bedford, eh? Brings back fond memories of buying lobster from the boats in Bedford basin. Halifax/Dartmouth and Bedford are beautiful...although I don't envy your winters ;^)

Glad to have you here!
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
#24072 08-19-2007 03:50 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hey guys, having traveled rather extensively in Canada, am I allowed to say "EH"?

Wayne, happy to be one of your new best friends. Why do you think that dentists, at least in the US, have one of the highest suicide rates as a profession?

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#24073 08-20-2007 01:23 PM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

Jerry,
Glad to have you as a friend, eh?
As for a "Yank" using the term...fire away! More than happy to hear it!
Have you ever made it out my way? Calgary is less than an hour from Banff National Park, some of the most beautiful country this side of heaven. Calgary's a pretty nice place too...getting a bit too big for my tastes, but it's home.
Wayne

SCC left mandible TIVN0M0 40% of jaw removed, rebuilt using fibula, titanium and tissue from forearm.June 06. 30 IMRT Aug.-Oct. 06
#24074 08-20-2007 05:19 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Welcome Dr. Mike

You and Jerry have a power to save and prevent this disease. Your 2 keys are life savers.

I hope nobody beat you up to bad yet. LOL It is just that there are so many "oversights" it is scary. I will send you a thread that will give you some office chatter for your next "corporate office party. Some may think it is fictitious.

We all know that this is unintentional, of course.

Please keep saving lives. I wish I knew you sooner Then I could say "see you later" without hesitance.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP IN SAVING OTHERS! Sincerely, Petey smile

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#24075 08-20-2007 05:20 PM

Welcome Dr. Mike

You and Jerry have a power to save and prevent this disease. Your 2 keys are life savers.

I hope nobody beat you up to bad yet. LOL It is just that there are so many "oversights" it is scary. I will send you a thread that will give you some office chatter for your next "corporate office party. Some may think it is fictitious.

We all know that this is unintentional, of course.

Please keep saving lives. I wish I knew you sooner Then I could say "see you later" without hesitance.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP IN SAVING OTHERS! Sincerely, Petey

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#24076 08-21-2007 11:41 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
OP Offline

Thanks PeteyB,

I got big shoulders and don't let people beat me up. If you're prepared to give advice you have to be open to new information, differences of opinion and nay sayers. I just don't pass along or discuss issues that I am not versed in or can't give a professional opinion on.
Comments both positive and negative are healthy and help us all grow and learn.
As for oversights yup I've been there and at the same time have been on the other side. There is no perfect system and we are all human. There are a few who only worry about the dollar and social status...the dollars I recieve are attached to people and I owe them value for their dollar. The compassion, expertise and information I am able to provide for that dollar is only good if I recognize my limitations and then relay this to the patient and get them to the person who can help them.

Jerry: Great article!! Glad to see you championed your fight and turned it into something positive to help others. I only hope that I will be able to help you carry the torch. You are certainly aces in my books. Way to go! As for dentist suicide rates...well we're all hated..."...no offence doc. but, I hate dentists!"...ever heard that Jerry? I think many take this too seriously and to heart. Me...I do what I can and am open and honest with my patients. If I know I can't get along with someone I tell them and don't treat them. I then refer them to another office. Seems simple to me.

Cheers all, Live well!!
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
#24077 08-21-2007 04:23 PM

Wayne,

I sent you an email.

Mike,

I have managed to handle the "I hate dentists" for 37 years and will continue to do so. I usually turn it around by looking at the person's profession eg a teacher and say "that's OK, I hate teachers". It breaks the ice and works very well.

I am so impressed with your skills of giving advice and your way with words. No one can teach some one to be so compassionate. It's a gift you have to be born with and one that you have increased with life's experiences. You are a welcome addition to this group and your dental knowledge and counseling skills will be greatfully appreciated by many.

Jerry

PS

Glad you liked the article.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#24078 08-22-2007 10:15 AM
OP Offline

Jerry you are way to kind, but thanks I appreciate your praise.
Cheers,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
#24079 08-22-2007 11:13 AM
OP Offline

Dragan you are familiar with Bedford? As for the winters if you're into wintersports etc. it's a great place. Makes you appreciate the warm days more.
Ten years ago when I was told to get my affairs in order my goal was make the next season. When I saw the snow that year I cried like a baby. I'm not embarrassed to say that either it felt so damn good to freeze my buns off playing with my son like a couple of kids in the snow.
Cheers,
Mike

#24080 08-22-2007 12:20 PM
"OCF Canuck"
"OCF Canuck"

I sure am. I've made numerous trips to Halifax and area on business, and a few for pleasure as well. I have a business in addition to being an "airport guy" and my business partner is in Stratford P.E.I.

Absolutely beautiful area...you just get WAAAY more snow usually than we do, and the humidity knocks me on my you-know-what.

It's funny how those few words put your life on full stop, isn't it? I've said it before; I wouldn't wish this Beast on my worst enemy, but I'm not sorry I went through the experience.

I grew to know my wife and kids in a way I have never known them before, and I grew to understand myself even more.
All told, I took more from the Beast than it took from me.
Wayne

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics