Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Email

peterbillias@hotmail

Peter Billias 221 Dartmouth Drive

Lake Worth Florida, 3346.

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Matt my experience is similar to yours. I saw four surgeons over four years. The first three made me feel like I was wasting their time. The "Three Surgical Stooges" all called my mobile hard painless lump a cyst. My training and my brain was not comfortable with this diagnosis.
The fourth surgeon "Superman" told me it is most likely a cyst but if you want it gone I'll remove it. It came back "clear cell sarcoma". A very agressive form of connective tissue cancer and the rarest of the sarcomas.
My thought process for myself, family and patients is this: Any lump,bump, sore spot, discoloration etc. must be excisionally biopsied.
I would rather see more biopsies of benign or innocent lesions than mis/undiagnosed cancers. With that said we are not bilaterally symmetrical. It is not uncommon especially in the head and neck region to have small less than 2 cm bumps under the skin or mucosa.
If you don't like not knowing what this is, insist it be biopsied. If your current Doctor won't remove it find someone who will.
I hope this helps you.

Banish the bumps,
Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.

YAY, Mike! I like the way you speak, loud and clear.

I wonder if I can come to Bedford every six months for my checkup! How far do you think that is from Louisiana??

I no longer go to the dentist who misdiagnosed my SCC. The periodontist who assisted in my diagnosis suggested that I come to see him for a good, thorough checkup and cleaning every 3months, and that if I need a dentist, we'll find one then. This has worked very well so far.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

August if the periodontist is willing to do that and you are comfortable with him/her that's a great plan. Periodontists have 2-3 years more training and in that time a lot of focus is on Oral medicine, oral path and surgical biopsy techniques. Sounds like you are in good hands. Ask him if he has any plans to incoorporate a VELscope into his practice. I posted a brief description of the instrument in the general section. Bravo to your periodontist!

I'm also sure the distance between Bedford and Louisiana is a lot shorter and smoother than the journey that got you here. If you ever do come by this way let me know.

Here's to your health,

Mike

Dentist since 1995, 12 year Cancer Survivor, Father, Husband, Thankful to so many who supported me on my journey so far, and more than happy to comfort a friend.
Live, Laugh, Love & Learn.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users