Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hello everyone. My name is Matt, I am 30 and have not yet been diagnosed with OC, but am scared that something is wrong. I have been worried about this for about six months or so now. Before I get into the details, I just wanted to send out a heartfelt thanks to all of you posters here at the OCF website. You are some of the bravest souls I have ever had te oppurtunity to learn from.

So here is my story. I lived recklessly for 10 years. I smoked, drank a lot, and never really thought about the consequensces of my actions. About two years ago, I had enough of it all, and quit everything cold turkey. I have never looked back. In fact, I just ran my first marathon this year back in June. Back in April of this year, I bit my tongue. No big deal right? Well, I didn't think it was abig deal, after I had remembered that I had actuallt bitten it. It healed up, but in the meantime, I started freaking out about OC, due to all of the research I had done online. I became obsessed with the idea, pretty much consumed by it. It had gotten to the point where I had stretched my tongue so many times it hurt. I noticed the papillae on my tongue, and they frightened me. Not the ones on top, but the circumvallate ones (sp?). So, I go to a dentist, and she gave me a quick once over, and without hearing me out completely, she told me blood was pooling up in the back of my mouth, and if things didn't get better, she was going to refer me to an oral surgeon. Panic strikes agin. I was a goner for sure now. I immediatley found someone who used the vizilite exam in my town for a second opinion. They said I was fine, and the lumps I was obsessing over in the back of my mouth were pappilae. My fears subsided for a month or so, and then my worries came back shortly after. About a 2 months ago, I noticed a lump on the same side of my mouth in the floor, and it doesn't have a partner in crime on the other side. Did I wish myself into cancer? I didn't know, and am still grappling with the idea that something is wrong.

So to make a long story short, I go to the University of Michigan oral and maxillofacial surgery unit to get an exam. This bump moves around, and is hard to palpate if you don't know how to hold your hand. The doctor's assistant had a hard time even noticing this thing, and thought I was crazy from the get go. I got the Dr to find it in there, and he messsed with it for a second, and then said; "Let's see if you have the same thing on the other side". When he couldn't find anything, he felt my lymph nodes under my jawline, and said there was nothing wrong with me. And that I didn't have any symptoms of OC. I asked about the bump, and he said he wouldn't lose any sleep over it, and that it was not symptomatic of cancer. That the only cause for concern would be is it grew.

If you have been reading this you know that isn't what I was looking for. I want to know what this thing is, NOW!

Being that the University of Michigan is nationally recognized for their excellence in medicine, shoudl I be worried about this at this point? I mean, I am what I would consider to be a certified hypochondriac (just look at this post).

My question for anyone who has wasted their time reading this is; if you have been diagnosed, did it take forever to get someone to listen to you? I mean, who else am I left to turn to at this point? I am scared, and I need to move on, or get ready for the fight of my life. A little advice here would really help a guy out. Thank all of you for taking the time out to read this.

-Matt

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Dear Matt - I'm so glad you found this site. I know it feels terrible to be in that :"in between" stage when you are not quite sure about your diagnosis. It may be just nothing at all but I've noticed from reading this site that there have been a lot of mis-diagnoses regarding oral cancer. My son bit his tongue and kept putting off going to the dentist until he got to Stage 2 cancer. I don't have direct experience with this, but I am sure you will hear from other posters who can share their experiences and ideas with you. You could always check the hospital that your doctor is associated with to see if they have a comprehensive cancer center or check on your doctor's experience with oral cancer or get a second or third opinion. Have you checked the home page of this site for info re recommended hospitals? Until you find out for sure one way or another, take deep breaths and try to stay positive - I know that is so very hard to do but it will help you to continue your research and find out as much as you can. Hang in there a little longer and let us know what happens.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Hello Matt,
I am also fairly new to this website and don't have alot of experience with oral cancer symptoms and diagnosis.

I personally think there is probably nothing wrong with you but.....

My mother has just been through six months of being told there's nothing wrong...there's nothing wrong...there's nothing wrong. Time and time again she's being going to doctor's, getting biopsies, scans, nothing to report until 3 weeks ago she was diagnosed with stage 4 SCC on her gums and right into her jawbone.

Obviously we wish the doctors had done a better job with her diagnosis but I guess in their defense she is quite a hypocondriac herself. Every little sneeze and sniffle she runs to the doctor...every little bump and bruies must be cancer. I guess her doctor's didn't take her as seriously as they should have but I can't lay blame on anyone.

My only advice would be to keep a VERY close eye on any lumps in your mouth and if anything gets bigger or changes or becomes more painful then fight the good fight and get someone to listen to you.

Like I said before, I don't think you have OC (my mother is 66 and has smoked for 55 years and has also worn ill fitting dentures for many years)

Good Luck Matt and please keep us informed.

Jackie

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Matt, it sounds like you're in good hands as far as the facility you're at. But the hard thing about this on-line stuff, is that by virtue of getting the info second-hand, there are so many unknowns. Most of us probably don't know your doctor or his expertise in this area. And, cases can present themselves over time in very different ways. I agree with Jackie - it's probably ok. But you can always seek a second opinion if you're uncomfortable with what the first doctor has told you. Ideally you want to be seeing a doctor with expertise in head/neck/oral cancer, to have the best comfort level in his/her evaluation.

As far as information on-line, you've found the best source. Plenty of folks here will be willing to share their experiences with you, and there is tons of information you can find by searching the site.

Keep us posted...
Steve J.

Age 41 - Stage 2 SCC tongue Dx 2/06. Cisplatin x3, IMRT x35. Mets to neck node discovered 7/07. RND 40 nodes removed, margins not clear. Cisplatin, Taxotere, 5-FU Fall 07, then IMXT/Erbitux for 7 wks. Inoperable mets to both lungs and pleura Dx Oct'08. 4 cycles Carboplatin, Erbitux, 5-FU so far.
OP Offline

Well, thank all of you for your replies. I did a little digging online, and the doctor who seen me at the hospital is the program director for the oral and maxillofacial unit for the U of M. Here is his write up:
Dr. Ward has been actively involved in the clinic and operating room, his research endeavors and as the Program Director of the residency and Head and Neck Oncology fellowship.

"As a member of the University of Michigan Nanotechnology Institute for Medicine and the Biological Sciences and the University of Michigan Head and Neck SPORE (Specialized Programs Of Research Excellence), his lab is working with nanostructures targeted to Head and Neck Cancer for more effective and safe chemotherapy. This endeavor is being undertaken with the goal of future clinical trials using this technology to enhance patient care. He is also assisting to coordinate the University of Michigan as a site for an upcoming clinical trial from John's Hopkins offering chemoprevention treatment for pre-cancerous dysplasias.

Continuing his bridging effort between dentistry and medicine, he has facilitated the creation of a pilot program to train medical doctors in dentistry preparing them for Oral and Maxillofacial Surgical residency so that our dual degree program will one day be a true "two-way" street."

Would you feel secure if this guy told you no to lose any sleep about something? The equivalent of me arguing, or doubting this guy would be like arguing with Bill Gates or Steve Jobs about computers. From the sounds of it, this guy could smell OC a mile away (you would think).

I am a hypochonriac for certain. I have had my share of episodes throughout my life. It is so hard to explain to someone who hasn't had to battle the feelings you have when you are thoroughly convinced something is wrong. It seems so real, and to even think I would be so arrogant, and fool hearted to second guess a doctor like that just goes to show. I feel like such a coward, being here whining about my issues, when you folks are literally in the trenches. I am on the fence as to whether or not seek out another opinion, or battle the real tangible problem I have with hypochondria. Feed it or destroy it at this point.

It's kind of scary to think that I would be to the point in my thinking that I am almost willing to give it 3 years and see whether or not I am dead...

I am so messed up.

Thanks again all of you for being so kind to me. I will keep you posted if anything changes.

Matt,
I don't think you should feel like a coward for expressing your concerns about your health at a forum like this. Your concerns are valid and you know your body best.

I think everyone has a bit of a hypocondriac in them. We all find it hard to trust a complete stranger with our well being regardless of their credentials.

I don't think that anyone reading your initial post would consider it a waste of time either. Your concerns are just as valid as everyone else's.

Best of Luck
Jackie

Matt - don't worry about being a hypochondriac - your life is too important. Getting a second opinion is your right and any good doctor would not be offended if a patient wants to do this. If the next opinion confirms the first, then you will have peace of mind. If it has a slightly different slant on it or on the treatment suggested, then you will be better prepared for asking the right questions and making an informed decision. Take care and let us know what happens.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Matt: My very wise Grandmother always said "Better Safe Than Sorry..." I pray that you will be fine, but NEVER assume anything....God bless you....Lois

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

I dont find you to be a hypochondriac at all..I do find myself anyhow or at least paranoid. A 2nd or 3rd opinon never hurts but there comes a time we need to be at rest with what they tell us . You could always ask for a biopsy ..please keep us informed and we are always here to lisen !

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery

Hello Matt

Please call of write. This needs to be addressed stat. It coulghd ve nouthtinh bt 6 months is a long toned. I just woke up and took my medds. Ket mee rereds and rewwrite.

Also I will send a thread for you to readd. Do no oanic, butbe carefull. Petey

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics