Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23986 08-03-2007 03:07 PM
OP Offline

I am so excited to have found this forum! After going through a diagnosis and treatment the past 5 months, it is so helpful to see that other people (and my age too!) have been through the same thing. I recently finished my round of Erbitux and radiation 3 weeks ago and am so thankful to have made it through. The hard part was not knowing anyone else that had been through it- as a 24 year old, I don't have ANY friends that have dealt with cancer.

I am so thankful that I was able to move to be with my family during this time. Also, I was lead to the most knowledgable doctors in the area- they have taken such good care of me!

This forum is such a great idea and I can't even imagine how helpful it is to people!

Adrienne

24 year old, HPV-
Diagnosed SCC of right lateral tongue 3/14/07- T2N0M0
2 partial glossectomies (3/07 and 5/07), a neck dissection, 7 infusions of Erbitux, and 6 weeks of radiation
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

DEar Adrienne, we are glad you found us too smile What a scary thing to go through so young. How are you doing now? I've been glued to the t.v. news about the bridge collapse in Minneapolis because my husband was born, raised and lived there until he was in his early 40's. Much of his family is still living there. Hope all of your family and friends are o.k. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Welcome, Adrienne! So glad you found us and glad that you've had such good care and family to be with. It does help to be in touch with others who have been through similar experiences and be able to share ideas. My son and I found this site shortly after the start of his rad Tx and I don't know what I would have done without the wonderful, caring and compassionate people who shared with us and helped us through some of the most difficult of times. I'm sure your experiences will help others, too.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi Adrienne,

It's good for me (a mom) to see other young people are struggling with this too. Errr, that's not what I meant. I wish that NO young person, ever, had to deal with this -- but it is a strange sort of comfort.

I think there are a lot of extra issues for young people. I know my son's treatment has been guided, in part, by his young age. And it has been tough for his friends to figure out how they can help. And then there's the whole issue of starting over, when you haven't really even got much of a first start going.

It sounds like you have had good care and the support of your family. I hope things continue to go well for you.

Best of luck,
Matt's Mom

Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Hello and Welcome Adrienne and edeevee
You will find lots of support here.... there is probably not one question you will have that someone cannot help you with.
In the meantime ... I wish you both the best of luck in your ongoing fight.

My husband is a 4 and1/2 year survivor of base of tongue cancer... there is a light at the end of the tunnel!
Take Care
Marica

Caregiver to husband (Pete) Stage IV Base of Tongue. Dx 04 2003 Chemo/Radiation no surgery.. doing great!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23