Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veron Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello all. I was diagnosed with tongue cancer when I was 27 years old. I had surgery and three months later I discovered a tumor in my neck. I had a radical neck dissection followed by radiation therapy.

It has been 11 years since I finished my treatment at SKCC in NYC and I am fine. I have my paranoias and go to check ups more than I need but nobody could say by looking at me that I went through all that. Unless of course they get really close and look at the scars in my neck. It took me a while to improve my speech after the partial glossectomy but I speak well although there was a change. I have limited movement of my left arm and sometimes I get ugly spasms between my neck and my shoulder, especially during periods when I don't work out.

I met two other young women that had cancer but they both died unfortunately. I guess I was very lucky because my cancer was caught in time and because I was treated in such a wonderful hospital by a brilliant doctor who did a marvelous job on my neck. It was quite an experience and it certainly changed my life and my perspective.

Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Veron - It is so encouraging to hear such a positive outcome. Thanks for sharing your story with us. My son is a little over 7 months post treatment and doing very well, although he also gets the neck spasms. He's been trying to include foods containing potassium to help with that. The was a post recently about the success of Botox to eliminate the neck spasms. If you haven't already seen it, it is under the forum topic "After Treatment Issues" Just click on that and then go to the topic " Positive response to Botox injection". So glad you've joined us.

Anne-Marie
CG to son, Paul (age 33, non-smoker) SCC Stage 2, Surgery 9/21/06, 1/6 tongue Rt.side removed, +48 lymph nodes neck. IMRTx28 completed 12/19/06. CT scan 7/8/10 Cancer-free! ("spot" on lung from scar tissue related to Pneumonia.)

Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Veron, thank you so much for posting about your 11 years, thus far, survival of this terrible cancer. For the many newly diagnosed people who come here, it is a bright ray of hope to hear from people who have lived very well so many years beyond treatment. Congratulations, and I wish you many decades more. When I was having rad, I mentioned to the doc that I planned to live to be a feisty old woman of 87. His response was "Why only 87?" and I think he had a good point. Thanks again for your hope-giving post.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Veron,

Thanks for sharing your story. It is great to hear how well you have done. Like Joanna said you are an inspiration to others here that need to hear stories like yours.

God Bless & keep posting
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015

Veron, thank you so much for sharing your story. We definitely need to hear good news like that. Thanks for posting....Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---

Vernon,

Thank you for the 11 year update...what a wonderful thing to read!!!!

Margaret
----------
C/G: Husband, 48 (at time of dx)
Dx 5/18/07 SCC, BOT, lymph node involvement. T1N2BM0. (Stage 4a, G2/3)
Tx 6/18 - 8/3/07, IMRT x 33 Cisplatin x3 (stopped after 1st dose due to hearing issues). Weekly Erbitux started 6/27/07 completed 8/6/07.
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Thanks for reinforcing hope, 11 years is great.

Tim

Tim Stoj
60 yr old. Dx Jun 06 with BOT Stage IV. Neck dissesction on 19 Jun 06. Started Tx on 21 Aug 06/completed 33 IMRTs and 3 CT (2 Cisplat & 1 Carboplat) on 5 Oct 06.
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Good to hear from you...as a recent survivor myself I would certainly attest to the benefits of early detection....and for that I really ought to thank my wonderful fiancee....if it wasnt for her..........

Now I am back at work after a month and pleased to I hope be of some help to people here too!!

Take care and may you stay cancer free!!

Dx:06/08/07 SCC left Lateral tongue Stage I/II
Tx: 07/09/07 Partial -10% approx. of tongue taken round 1cm x 3cm No rad/Chemo deemed necessary.....ex smoker
07/17/07 CLEAR MARGINS!!!
05/15/10 Sore has returned and will not leave.back to see ENT 05/17/10
04/07/11 Lump on neck.....ENT on 04/12/11
Senior Member (100+ posts)
Senior Member (100+ posts)

Way To Go Veron.....

Caregiver to husband (Pete) Stage IV Base of Tongue. Dx 04 2003 Chemo/Radiation no surgery.. doing great!
Senior Member (75+ posts)
Senior Member (75+ posts)

Veron
Thats what I like to hear. I had the same thing.
Just had all my teeth pulled. My right arm is messed up alittle, but can still pick my nose.
This cancer brings so much doom and gloom it was very nice to hear your story.

Tongue Cancer, stage 4, spread to neck/ Radical neck, 3 chemos, 33 radiation. 5-18-2005
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

TY Veron,

Posts like this are a ray of light for those of us who are waiting to heal.

Billy

Dx Mar 07 with Base Of Tongue Stage IV. IMRT 35x with 3 doses Cysplatin ran concurrent. Tx ended May 31,07. Left and right node involved. Radical neck disection 7/18/07

I am taking radiation therpy for squamous cell carcinoma in the throat.I am new at this and really don't know how to talk to anyone on the forum.

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hello again Msettle

I responded to your other posting with some information. I will cut & paste it here. Please read it and you will be talking with us shortly but you must follow the instructions.

Everyone has this problem at the beginning and we all understand.

What is happening is you are posting in another members "topic". You need to start one of your own. Here is my previous message to you.
We will be on the same page by the nights end. Petey smile

Hello Msettle

Welcome to the Oral Cancer Foundation Website.

You are not alone and you have found a great place to get compassionate help and support from all the members here.

Most are patients and caregivers.

Click on the links below and learn a little about the website.

After you read these you can write another "Introduce Yourself" topic with a little more information about you and we can get to know you.

Read the first link first. It will have you communicating with us in short order.

We are all scared and frightened when we first came here as you. We understand what you are going through and we will walk with you through your "journey".

I will send you a "private Message" (PM) so you will know how it works.

You can keep posting on this thread until you have the hang of it.

Fire away with any and all questions and we will help you.

Keep posting here with any help question you have. This website is 24/7 with many members. You are in our family now.

Sincerely, PeteyB aka Petey smile 561-667-3631 call me anytime. I will walk you through this. It is just the first couple of times you struggle, and then you will have it by heart.

Click on the 2 links below and most of your questions will be answered.

We are waiting with open arms for you. Good Luck! Petey smile

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org.../get_topic/f/18/t/000001/p/1.html#000000

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/001268.html

Hello Msettle

Welcome to the Oral Cancer Foundation Website.

You are not alone and you have found a great place to get compassionate help and support from all the members here.

Most are patients and caregivers.

Click on the links below and learn a little about the website.

After you read these you can write another "Introduce Yourself" topic with a little more information about you and we can get to know you.

Read the first link first. It will have you communicating with us in short order.

We are all scared and frightened when we first came here as you. We understand what you are going through and we will walk with you through your "journey".

I will send you a "private Message" (PM) so you will know how it works.

You can keep posting on this thread until you have the hang of it.

Fire away with any and all questions and we will help you.

Keep posting herewith any help question you have. This website is 24/7 with many members. You are in our family now.

Sincerely, PeteyB aka Petey smile

PS: Sorry about the double pasteing, my meds are winning the battle of consciousness eek

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org.../get_topic/f/18/t/000001/p/1.html#000000

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?/ubb/get_topic/f/1/t/001268.html

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics