Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#23824 07-20-2007 12:02 PM
Annie M Offline OP
OP Offline

My husband is 6 months post treatments; his PET & CAT scans have been clean (for now). I know recovery is different for everyone but is there a guideline for when one feels better? The ringing in the ears, the tingling in the extremities, the lack of taste (or everything tasting badly), not able to eat anything spicy (his throat "lights" up), the overall general weakness have not seemed to have abated at all. Also, he seems very depressed but won't join a group/take meds/talk to anyone. He seems somewhat consumed with the potential mortality of the situation and that he has no control. To survivors and caregivers, is there anything I can say/do to make any of this better? He seems to be irritated with me if I try to do too much or want to talk. He also seems to be pushing me away so that he is not a burden to me;I don't feel that way at all but he has always been very independent and I believe this has been a very humbling experience for him. Is this normal and is there anything that you would recommend that I do? Any thoughts would help.

#23825 07-20-2007 02:07 PM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

My David has been very hummbled by this. He was a very strong hard working He now is exhausted and at times very withdrawn.

Do his friends visit. Don't ask his permission ask them to stop by and see him. Keeping people outside of us seems to help my Davids spirits. He gets at times very non talkative. just stares at TV. Do what ever you can to get him up out for a small walk a drive in the car. Take a different route home from your next appointment. If he gets tired he will sleep. I am fortunate we live in FL and a short drive even across one the many bridges crossing he gulf will bring a light to him. He may be tired truly after that but the glimmer gets brighter and brighter each Time. The American cancer center publishes a book clled Caregiving and gives some fabulous information. I got it because I am particiating in a caregiver study. Keep him active in his home care.

SIt and just hold his hand...Rub his feet conversation is not always what is needed...

I feel for you as I have felt many days myself for my David during this. We strive so hard not to let the person they were get lost in all this.

Caregiver in Florida
DX tonsil cancer 4/13/07 both tonsils removed both positive.,. Stage 4 with 3 nodes on Right and 2 nodes on left. Just finishd 2 chemo - cisplatn and 35 Radiation 6/22/07
#23826 07-20-2007 02:38 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

HI, Annie, one thing that jumped out in your signature was that he had a thyroidectomy. Is he on a medication like synthyroid?. Many of the other things you mentioned are par for the course for months after his kind of treatment. It should start to get better over the next few months. My husband said I was at times an "over achiever" in the caregiving depatment smile There were times he just needed to be left alone. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:
#23827 07-20-2007 03:23 PM
Annie M Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you to both of you for responding so quickly; I feel like I am so alone in all of this. Jam, he is not currently on any medication; is that something I should check into? I would also say to you, and I'm sure you know so much more than I do at this point, it's hard not to be an "over achiever" about someone you care about.

Thank you to the caregiver in Florida; it is SO hard to see the person you have loved for a long time, independent, etc. feel like their life has changed so dramatically.I wish so much to do something but your suggestions were perfect.

Have either of you found anything that either works to talk about or what to avoid (maybe you just take their lead?)? I thought I knew my husband well and it has actually been more difficult since the treatment ended and he got the news of what his "life" would be like than before. When we were in the "fight", he was willing to do it (the kids, etc.) Knowing that so many of the ailments could (not defintely) be permanent has been very hard. I think he thought if he could at least get to 6 months, life would be better.
Thank you so much for you help; I wish I had seen this website a year ago.

#23828 07-20-2007 04:23 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Annie, the extreme tiredness is a classic symptom of low thyroid. If he has NO thyroid, he could be in a world of hurt. You really do need to talk to his doctor sooner than later about this. When he has more energy, he will feel 100% better. Getting his thyroid levels adjusted could be the key to his outlook improving dramatically, and yours as well. I sincerely hope the answer is something that simple.

#23829 07-20-2007 04:59 PM
Annie M Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you both so much, feels like we've been going thru this alone. As I said, wish I seen this site before. Will do all of that with the thyroid; anyone else see the grumpiness/meaness? Not to be a martyr; isn't it darn hard to be a 24/7 happy caregiver?

Thank you Joanna, after seeing a site like this, just wish I'd seen it sooner. Thank you for words of kindness and support. I didn't realize how much of a difference it made; thought I was doing it more for my husband. Now selfishly realize how much I am getting.

Thanks to all of you! Annie

#23830 07-20-2007 05:15 PM

Annie, if you were getting copies of his lab work check to see if they did a TSH which is his thyroid level, if that has not been listed request that they do one.

CG:Husband Larry,age 61, T1,N1,Mo Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Finished Treatment 5-31-07.

CG to Larry 61, 1st Dx 8-18-06 TlNoMo SCC Right Lateral Tongue- second Dx 1-25-07 Right neck dissection-T1N1Mo. Treatment started 3-20-07 Radiation & Etyhol Finish 5-31-07
#23831 07-20-2007 06:07 PM

He should have had a baseline TSH done before treatment started and a TSH test at 6 month intervals (at least that is the NCCN guidelines for an irradiated thyroid). Having a thyroidectomy I can't imagine why he is not on synthroid (unless they left a piece of the thyroid behind).

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#23832 07-21-2007 01:59 AM

Annie,

Glad as well it is not only me feeling as you do. I am Davids caregiver 24 hours a day. It is tough watching him go through this. He too has told me I hover too much. Some times as Jam says he just needs his own thoughts. But I know he knows I am right there.

He has been very rel;uctant to really accept al this thinking he will not go through what others have. He did not read the material and information I have found here to help. As we all go through this you think you understand when they say you will have pain here, you will have this and that you will have these symptons but in DAvids mind it did not all register and truly he did not think it would happen to him. I now p[rint and read the information even if he is just watching TV and not in comunicative mood I just read to him. This has really helped I think. He will stop and even ask questions and many times he has said he did not really think this how the pain would go this how exhausted he would be. But it has been good for him to know others are going through. He is not the only man going through this and all are having different but same issues and most of all it is OK.

Caregiver in Florida
DX tonsil cancer 4/13/07 both tonsils removed both positive.,. Stage 4 with 3 nodes on Right and 2 nodes on left. Just finishd 2 chemo - cisplatn and 35 Radiation 6/22/07
#23833 07-21-2007 02:09 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Annie M,

All good advise above but I also want to chime in about the mental part of this recovery.

First, physically the recovery is painfully slow. Most of us are accustomed to getting better much faster after being sick so when that doesn't happen it can prey on an already fragile mental state even though we constantly read or hear that our recovery will take a long time.

I am 10 months post Tx and am pretty much back to my normal sans some dry mouth but I remember dealing with some pretty tough mental issues just a few months back. I really wanted to retire. I really questioned how much longer I would live and really didn't want to work till the day I found out I was going to die. I even got madder when my wife, my caregiver, the person that saved my life more than once, my vida told me she was not ready to retire and she wanted to work another 10 years because she still had goals to accomplish. TEN YEARS, are you kidding me!! I could have a reoccurance tomorrow and only live another year, I kept saying to myself.

Well as they say, time heals all wounds and now my life has returned almost to pre Tx normal and my mental health has also readjusted itself. I no longer harbor feelings of impending death but I look forward to the future. I have found that the more things I do now that I used to do, the more normal my life feels, including my mental outlook.

Each of us, including you caregivers have to deal with the cancer deamons in our own way and we don't get much help along that path and I'm really not sure if someone trained could have helped me. I really needed to deal with my issues myself.

I will say this though, that I credit this site and all the unbelievable people who post and share their feelings to help me deal with everything so I guess I really did get expert help. It's tragic how you almost never see both the cancer patient and their caregiver post together. Certaintly both need to.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics