Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Petey, you are toooo funny! Carol

Diagnosed May 2002 with Stage IV tongue cancer, two lymph nodes positive. Surgery to remove 1/2 tongue, neck dissection, 35 radiation treatments. 11/2007, diagnosed with cancer of soft palate, surgery 12/14/07, jaw split. 3/24/10, cancer on tongue behind flap, need petscan, surgery scheduled 4/16/10
---update passed away 8-27-11---
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hey Petey...

The good thing is we didn't have to listen to you sing this <<VERY BIG GRIN>>

KC

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I haven't received much information. I wash the area out 3x a day. This is my second week doing and it is getting easier to deal with. I guess I'll find out on July 9th how well I've been doing. I don't know how long I need to clean it out or what my future holds regarding this. I have alot of questions I need to ask the doctor.

Donna; Age 50, dx w/ Stage 2, muco epidermoid carcinoma 4/07, maxiolectomy of the upper right palate 6/07, clear margins, no radiation or chemotherapy, close follow-ups.
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

Hi Froggie!

My dad had a similiar surgery on 5/23/07. He has gotten more and more comfortable with the cleaning of his mouth, palate and sinus area as time goes on. Thanks to others on this board (August), who shared their experience with him in a way that only someone else who had been through this could, he is even more comfortable with it than he was before.

Dad isn't very computer literate, so I come out here and read some of the topics to him and go through the posts. I think it helps him to realize that he is not alone. I hope you find the board comforting as well.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Hugs,

Joy

CG to Father, 75 yo with SCC of the mouth; upper maxillectomy and neck diss. performed on 5/23/07. Father also suffered heart attack during surgery and now has CHF. RT complete on 8/28/07. Cancer back 11/27/07. RT and Chemo to start on 12/17. Cancer back 6/17/08. Finally at rest 08/08/08.

Froggie--If you had your surgery only three weeks ago, you are doing more than I did at that point. I had a plate in my mouth for two weeks (a bit too long, actually) that held antiobiotic packing in my sinus cavity. After the plate and the packing were removed, I don't recall exactly what I was supposed to do, but I did NOT go into the cavity....still don't. I was given some chlorhexidine to use as a rinse. Later I was told by my prosthodontist to use a cloth (I use some gauze or cotton ovals that are disposable) to rub the edges of the wound, to debride them and increase healing. I have learned to do this without a thought, though it took a while to be able to do it. I have learned that I can reach in and have more control by using my thumb rather than a finger. I don't go into the area above the palate. I now use warm salt water, made from faucet water and table salt, and swish well, letting my tongue help rub the edges, and forcing the water into the sinus cavity and blowing it out my nose by holding the other nostril closed. It is funny how fresh water is uncomfortable, but the salt water is very soothing and cleansing. I also continue to use the cotton oval occasionally, and I use the chlorhexidine rinse occasionally also, though I find that it stains my obturator. (It also permanently stains any fabric that it touches.)

Did you lose any part of your maxilla and teeth?

Do you wear an obturator?

I hope this was helpful. Write again and ask anything that you wish. Look for my post to PharmGirl......I think that I said most of the same stuff there.

It is nice to find some other people with the same surgery. There aren't as many of "us" as there are for other forms of this disease.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!
OP Offline

August, thank you so much for all your information, it was so very helpful. So you didn't have to clean the cavity right away? Gosh they made me get in there in my second week.

Too answer your questions, I lost part of my right palate and three or four teeth and wear the obturator. I use a gauze and forcep to get in and clean. It doesn't hurt and it's clearing up very well. I can't wait until this regimen is over. That's why I'm trying to do my best at cleaning the area. I don't go up to high I just get what I can.

The maxiofacil dentist removed all the packing and plate one week after surgery. Then I rinsed with the chlorhexidine three times a day. The second week I started cleaning the cavity area three times a day I'm doing pretty good with it now.

What is a cotton oval and do you think using my thumb would be more effective than the forcep?

When did you stop cleaning the area and when did you start using salt water?

Your information was of tremendous help. It's nice to be able to share this with someone who has gone through it.

Donna; Age 50, dx w/ Stage 2, muco epidermoid carcinoma 4/07, maxiolectomy of the upper right palate 6/07, clear margins, no radiation or chemotherapy, close follow-ups.
OP Offline

Hi Joy,

Thanks for writing and sharing your father's experience with me. It's incredible how we do manage to get used to it in such a short time. I didn't think I was going to get through it but I did. It's an incredible experience and really makes you dig deep down in your soul to maintain the process. But with God, family, friends and this wonderful website somehow you get through it all. People are amazing and we can accomplish so many amazing things.

Send you father my best. He must be very proud to have such a loving and supportive daughter.

All my best,
Donna

froggie girl

I just want to reiterate what they said about being more emotional after it is all over ( Surgery ) For me that is when it hit..And I still have my bad days 5 months later. But talking to people on here and going to counseling HELPS !! I cant answer your medical questions as my procedure was different ..but as far as the just dealing in general..That I can relate to and help as much as I can !

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics