Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#23555 06-25-2007 08:30 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

I had surgery two weeks ago. I had Epidermoid Carcinoma and they removed the right side of my palate. I need to clean the area and I'm totally freaked out. I did it this morning but not very well and I really need to get in there and clean it so I don't get an infection. I'm so glad this website is here. I need so much help!!!!

Donna; Age 50, dx w/ Stage 2, muco epidermoid carcinoma 4/07, maxiolectomy of the upper right palate 6/07, clear margins, no radiation or chemotherapy, close follow-ups.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Welcome girl...I know you'll find much helpful information here..In the meantime, you will be in my prayers. Do let us know how you progress! Lois in North Carolina

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
OP Offline

Thank you Lois,

That was very nice of you. I guess I should be praying more. I prayed for the Lord to remove the pain and he did I guess I forgot to ask that he remove the fear as well. Sometimes all it takes is to just be together as humans and do as much as we can. God sent me to this website for a reason. My prayers are with you and your husband. Thank you again. donna from California

Donna; Age 50, dx w/ Stage 2, muco epidermoid carcinoma 4/07, maxiolectomy of the upper right palate 6/07, clear margins, no radiation or chemotherapy, close follow-ups.

Welcome Froggiegirl

We are sorry to hear about your diagnosis. This is a frightening and upsetting experience.

You are not alone and this website will help you get through this. There are many knowledgeable, informing, caring and compassionate people here to help you.

We have all been where you are and we will walk with you, and help in any way we can. Keep asking your questions and they will be answered by people who have fought and defeated this disease.

Here is some helpful information about this website.
There are 2 search engines on the OCF site. There is one at the top and one at the bottom of each page.

Dear Froggiegirl, this will help with terminology
Dictionary
www.cancer.gov/dictionary
www.ask.com

Abbreviations
http://web.utk.edu/~aalix/abbreviations.html

At the top centers of this page click on the "faq" (frequently asked questions)
Many questions about this site can be answered here.

Everyone here wants to help you in your struggles. We will keep you thinking positive as we battle this defeat able disease together.

If you have problems or questions about

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
OP Offline

Thank you Petey,

I appreciate the information. I was so positive last week. I knew this was going to be my scariest moment. But all the same what happened? Why am I now so gloomy and sad. I should be thankful that the pain is gone and thankful that they removed all the cancer, I should be thankful that I'm at home and I have someone who loves me dearly. So why do I feel so bad when I should feel so blessed? It's so confusing to me. This disease attacks more than the physical being. If I can just get past this part.

"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

The physcological effects of any cancer diagnosis can be as devastating as the physical implications.When you are undergoing treatment your mind is occupied with the practical aspects.When you are home and alone,all the fears will come flooding in and cause you great distress,as you become horribly aware of your own mortality and the implications for the peolple who love you.
That is perfectly normal,and if it becomes an insurmountable issue,you need to seek professional help from support groups and counsellors.
Knowing you are not alone in your feelings,and actually vocalising them with others will help gain some sense of perspective and control,as will posting for help and advice here.

good luck and good health

liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
OP Offline

Thank you Cookey,

What you said makes so much sense. I am afraid of my my own mortality. Between this surgery and losing my 4 mos. old niece all in one month makes life so scary now. This is a great website and with each passing moment and with all the wisdom that has come towards me I feel I can get through this. I feel better just knowing that what I'm feeling is okay. Thank you so much for writing. It really helped.

"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

YVW smile

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Dear FG,

I am writing to tell you that I will write more later.....but that I have had part of my palate removed also...There aren't too many of us, but there are several on the forum.

Yes, the procedure for taking care of this bizarre surgery seems odd at first, and now it is second-nature to me. You can ask me anything. I don't mind answering here, but I'll have to do it later. I don't know what your dr. has told you. Actually, it was my prosthodontist who told me to get with the program. It helps with healing and toughening up the area to withstand the obturator.

More later.....I'll tell you what I do, or you can tell me what YOU do, or you can ask questions....

I'm glad to find someone else with a similar problem. Pharmgirl's father had a similar surgery also.

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!

Just Two Thoughts.(2)

The OCF should have a "logo" similar to the "yellow pages" called:

"Reach Out And Help Someone!"

Our Theme Song should be: "Hands Across the Water" (Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey)

--------------------LYRICS------------------

PAUL McCARTNEY
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
by Paul McCartney

We're so sorry Uncle Albert
We're so sorry if we caused you any pain
But there's no one left at home
And I believe I'm gonna rain
We're so sorry but we haven't heard a thing all day
We're so Sorry Uncle Albert
But if anything should happen we'll be sure to give a ring

But we haven't done a bloody thing all day
But the kettle's on the boil and we're so easily called away

Hand across the water (water)
Heads across the sky
Heads across the sky
Admiral Halsey notified me
He had to have a berth or he couldn't get to sea
I had another look and I had a cup of tea and butter pie
(the butter wouldn't melt so I put it in the pie)

Heads across the sky
Heads across the sky

Live a little be a gypsy, get around(get around)
Get your feet up off the ground
Live a little, get around
Live a little be a gypsy, get around(get around)
Get your feet up off the ground
Live a little, get around

Heads across the sky
Heads across the sky
Ooo------------Ooo-----------

Isn't the OCF WONDROUS! smile

With Love, Petey

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics