Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23523 06-19-2007 12:34 AM
jewls Offline OP
OP Offline

i am a 44 y.o. registered nurse- labor and delivery, i went in to get a lump on my back checked out,which ended up being nothing. it was what they found on the neck ct scan that they called me in for. hx..i have had a bilateral mastectemy for breast cancer in 98, i have had no problems since then - at least "cancer related" i didn't care for the dr then, i am newly diagnosed diabetic type 2, nothing that a little exercise and diet wouldn't take care of. i was on medicare till this past june 1 now- i haven't got any insurance, but befor i lost the insurance due to working full time, lol, - i work regisrty, and was going to get enrolled in aug, ANYWAYS i went in to the office last tuesday (week ago) and ended up with a ct scan- neck ,chest, abdomen, 5 days later they called me into the office, with the radiology report stating: PROMINENT PRETRACHEAL LYMPH NODE AS MEASURED ABOVE,(IN UPPER ANTERIOR MEDIASTINUM MEASURING 2.4 CM ap BY ABOUT 1.8CM TRANSVERSE AND EXTENDING OVER A CRANIOCAUDAL LENTH OF ABOUT 5.2CM) THORACIC AORTA NORMAL, HEART AND PERICARDIUM NORMAL, NO HILIARY ADENOPATHY, NO PULMONARY NODULE OR MASS IS EVIDENT, BREAST IMPLANTS ARE PRESENT,(from mastectemy) NO AXILLARY ADENOPATHY. iMPRESSION: THIS MUST BE PRESUMED TO REPRESENT METASTATIC ADENOPATHY UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE.

i was referred to Heme/oncology and called for an appointment in two weeks. which is on next monday. ok, i know i am a registered Nurse, but i do labor and delivery. i haven't got insurance now, i am trying to check about individual coverage but there is a prexisting condition clause for 11 months on most policy's, i can wait til sept for my insurance for my job to kick in, but now will that be prexisting also? i am by myself, kids are in college, i have a boyfriend but i don't want to scare him off too, is this lung, throat,or lymphatic cancer?, am i going to hear this again, when i go to the oncologist, i can't afford this....i cried last week, this week i am panicing. any advice? what is metastatic andenopathy? i've looked it up and didn't really get an answer. i am having to wait, knowing when they run my old insurance it will be expired. i have been a nurse for 24 years, and i don't have medical insurance....i thought i would have till sept. but then this happened this week. i know i have to wait a week but what questions should i ask the dr? this is so out of my area of nursing.

julie
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

Julie,

That means swollen lymph node and it appears you have only one measuring 2.4 cm. As there as other causes for swollen nodes beside cancer you need to get an appt with a cancer qualified ENT. What I mean by cancer qualified, I would try to make sure the ENT deals with cancer a lot so maybe locate one at a cancer center nearby. The node needs to be biospied to rule out cancer and they most likley will do what's called a FNA, or fine needle aspiration. It's a painless in office procedure that takes a few minutes and you will get the results back in about a week.

So calm down, as I'm sure you tell all your patients, and get the appt and lets see where we go from there.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"

I am not sure ENT is the right department David ,the lymph nodes listed are much more related to the Thoracic region
Regards Liz

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Jewls,
I have lung cancer--it all takes so much longer here in UK to diagnose--I THOUGHT I only had a tumour in my jaw! Have stopped panicking now--'what will be, will be'
As everyone says---one step at a time--don't worry about what you can't change---if you've got your kids into college you've done great! AND you're a working person.
Stay with us---everyone's different and I'm sure you'll get loads of posts telling you about asking questions/taking notes.
But remember how good everyone on this site is and hang in!
Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

Cookey,

And you once questioned your continued value to this site? Tish Tish or whatever you Brits say.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
"OCF across the pond"
"OCF across the pond"

smile
thankyou x

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23