Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline

Hello Everyone.....
Yes, my Daddy's cancer is in Stage 4. I was so sad today when the Radiology Onocogist doctor stated that all of my Daddy's teeth would have to be removed to began treatment. My Daddy had such beautiful teeth. Now gone....due to this screwed up disease!

Then we actually had insurance issues for a minute. His private insurance that only has to pay 20 freaking percent, had a issue with Daddy receiving care at the University of Michigan. They made a attempt to send him 40 miles away to the DMC (Detroit Medical Center) for treatment when we have a top twenty cancer center 10 miles away from our home!

Thanks to a excellent patient coordinator at U of M, she method that since he retired from the big three, he might be able to change his HMO to one that the U of M accepts. I was thinking we was going to really get not much with the benefits administrator. Thanks to the GRACE OF GOD...they changed his insurance to one that U of M takes and it starts July 1. Thank you Jesus!

So on to the plan of action. Chemo/Radiation, teeth pulls and hopefully, shrink the tumors. They are also going to do a PET scan to see if any other cancers are present in the body. Finally, they talked about a PEG tube, but at this point, Daddy is not buying it. The doctor and I are worried about his weight....6'4 and 131 is not good.

I brought him fruit, fruit and more fruit...five 6 can packages of ensure, ice cream, two gallons for Vitamin D milk and Whet Protein to put in his milk. I HOPE this works for his nutritional needs for now. He cannot afford to lose one more pound!!

Boy, I am scared....PEG tubes, no teeth and the doctor not promising a cure. I appreciate the honesty by the doctor but I scared as hell for my Daddy. A question, Daddy must wait until the gums heal from the teeth pulls before Chemo/Radiology can be performed. The doctor says it will take ten days for that to heal. Can my Daddy take oral chemo until that time? I do not want him to lose another day.

That is my story for mow...I will update after the medical onocolgy appointment on Wednesday.

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

My advice is to beak doen the mountain of problems into smaller chunks and deal with them individually. I realize this is easier said than done....

For instance:
The PEG tube is the least of your worries. This is really not a big deal to install. It takes only 20 minutes or so, you are in and out of the hospital in a few hours. Although, it may take a little while to get used to it (mentally). Initially, the idea of having that thing bugged me too. However, that wears off quickly. Now I hardly notice it is there. So far I did not have to use it, I am on radiation #14 of 33 and am still able to eat normally. However!!, the problem is that for a few days now everything tastes like cardboard i.e. rather disgusting, which means it is a chore to eat even tough it is not painful yet. Consider also that later on during radiation it will be painful or very difficult/impossible to eat. It also makes perfect sense to install the PEG tube early on.
In addition, the PEG tube also allows you stay hydrated which is important throughout the treatments. The PEG tube IS your friend! This is my personal view, but please check out the discussions in the forums here and also do a search on the OCF web for PEG amongst others you will find: www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/tube_feeding.htm

With respect to the teeth. Perhaps others can weigh in more here. This seems to vary between people, some keep them while others do not. In my case this has never been an issue and I still have most of mine (one tooth was removed as a favor when I had tongue surgery by a very kind surgeon). I am GUESSING that this may have to do with dental health, the irradiation volume/site and possible interference with the radiation. Had it been necessary to remove them (the teeth) I would have done that too, considering what is at stake.

Chemo: sometimes this is done before radiation as an induction therapy to shrink tumors prior to surgery or radiation, sometimes it is done together with radiation and sometimes it follows or is continued after radiation. You need to discuss with your MO which is going to be used and why.

Best of luck!

Partial glossectomy (25%) anterior tongue. 4/6/07/. IMRT start @5/24/07 (3x) Erbitux start/end@ 5/24/07. IMRT wider field (30x) start 6/5/07. Weekly cisplatin (2x30mg/m2), then weekly carbo- (5x180mg/m2). End of Tx 19 July 07.
OP Offline

Thanks for your reply Markus!!!!! This is great information. Hopefully the MO will get my Daddy to take the PEG tube

"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

One step at a time! And we're all thinking of you and send love and positive thoughts smile
Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

I am still a bit puzzled concerning the pulling of teeth issue when it comes to head/neck treatment. This was never even discussed as a potential problem in my case and no examination was made of my teeth pre-Tx at my treatment center. My first awareness of folks losing teeth was when I read about it on this site. I have since asked my personal General Dentist of 30 years about it and he was a bit puzzled as well. The only reason he could think of as to why teeth might need to go would be if they were in poor condition to start with but not just as a matter of routine.

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

If they are not already gone, I would ask why they are pulling ALL his teeth and seek a second opinion if they are in good condition. They used to do this 10 years ago, but not now. You say he has beautiful teeth. Are the roots sound? Why is this necessary? Ask some more questions before they go forward with this if it is not too late. Also, if this must happen, it should be a medical procedure, not dental so it is covered by insurance.

Take care,
Eileen

----------------------
Aug 1997 unknown primary, Stage III
mets to 1 lymph node in neck; rt ND, 36 XRT rad
Aug 2001 tiny tumor on larynx, Stage I total laryngectomy; left ND
June 5, 2010 dx early stage breast cancer
June 9, 2011 SCC 1.5 cm hypo pharynx, 70% P-16 positive, no mets, Stage I

This is coming from a dentist. I will re-iterate what has already been said.

If your father's teeth are in good condition, there is no reason why they should be pulled. This is old school, and should not be necessary.

With use of up-to-date radiation techniques, only teeth that are in need of extraction due to poor periodontal health or are so bady broken down that they cannot be restored, should be pulled.

You should be getting a second opinion.

By the way, what is your name?

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
OP Offline

Thanks everyone. My name is Monica, by the way. I will ask the Dentist if they have to pull ALL of his teeth. Some of the teeth are turning colors (me thinks due to the Cancer...one of the largest tumors is on his tongue)but not all of them. I do not want all of his teeth to be pulled. I will seek a second option, if I can get my Daddy to agree.

One thing that made me upset today is that the Dentist is not thinking of pulling the teeth until possibly July 3. That is what Daddy said. I almost flipped out. July 3...duh, that would make the Chemo begin possibly July 13. Not soon enough for me! Will talk to the Doc's on this tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the advice!!

My dentist said I did not need to have my teeth out, that if I used floride trays during my treatments, I should be fine and that she would work with me to keep them healthy, and I would say my teeth are no where near as good as your dads. But an oral surguion said they should all have come out. But after Questioning him, the reason for having the pulled out is mainly for treatment to the teeth afterwards. After the gums and teeth have been radiated, it just makes it more diffucult to work on the teeth and alot of the time it takes hospital stays to work on them, but if he has a good dentist, i wouyld keep all he can, beacause a lot of my fiends have false teeth and would do anything to have there normal ones back. Sorry I know it is a two sided sword, but I found it was better to get all the information you can find from all the sources, then let your dad make his own educated decisions. Will be think of you both and keep asking ??? because the more you know good and/or bad, the easier it is on you and your dad during your upcoming battle.

Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

They took 9 of my teeth and the bones that hold them in place. Was a pretty painful procedure.
Wehn this is overwith they are going to give me my choice of what I want back in their place. Whether it be dentures or implants. I know that I am going to let them do a bridge across the front where I was already missing 2 teeth. I was told the other day that the bones they took out will come from either artificial bones, from my femur or from my collarbone. Needless to say it maybe awhile before I have those teeth replaced...LOL I have gotten used to eating with the side teeth that were left or my front teeth.

Dx Mar 07 with Base Of Tongue Stage IV. IMRT 35x with 3 doses Cysplatin ran concurrent. Tx ended May 31,07. Left and right node involved. Radical neck disection 7/18/07
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics