Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#23459 06-16-2007 01:06 AM
OP Offline

Jerry?

I answered you through email and thank you. Now is it possible to also see my Maxoficcial/Oral Doc as well on Thursday? I would insist on paying you for your time and if you do not want/need the $, then perhaps you could donate it somewhere? Is the test you are referring to also include the dye, or is it just the light?

Joanna? Did they have to remove your palate/part of your palate? Or was it just the area where the tumor was located? Did they biopsy it first and if so, what does an actualy biopsy entail?

Pete..Thank you. I emailed you and I THINK I fixed the profile.

I slept nothing last night AGAIN. The pain is so much. Sometimes I just want to crawl in a hole and cry. Not to mention the anxiety this has put on me for 4 months now. UGH!

Thanks everyone again for all the questions answered and advice.

#23460 06-16-2007 02:25 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

jen

Take jerry up on it the light is painless !!!!! And Quick!!! somethings just dont show up!! But this light is great !

Shar

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#23461 06-16-2007 02:50 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hi Jenn, My husband Jack had half of his soft palate removed, tonsil, and a resection of the base of his tongue via robotic assited surgery at the University of PA hospital. He also had a level V neck dissction, which removed the entire right chain of lymph nodes and part of his shoulder muscle.

I am sure that you are very anxious over this, it's good to take Jerry up on the offer to do the velscope. I get that done every 6 months, it's painless and gives you peace of mind. Jack is now getting it done as well to check for recurrences.

Since you're alrady hooked up at the Mayo clinic that's a very good resource. There are also comprehensive cancer centers in Philly and New York. Where in NJ do you live? Please feel free to email me if you have other questions.

Yes they did the biopsy first and then decided on the treatment plan. It's customary to do that. You will probably also have a CT scan.

Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
#23462 06-16-2007 06:40 PM

Let me refraise somthings dont show up on other test is what I meant to say ..some like ct..I was in a rush !! MY ent has asked me for Brochures on the light by the way !!! smile

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#23463 06-17-2007 02:44 AM
OP Offline

Good morning everyone.

I spoke with Jerry via phone twice yesterday. He really is the total best and I so appreciate everything and everyone on this site has said and done for me. The only reason my Mayo trip was shortened two weeks ago was because yesterday was my Daughter's 10 birthday party. That is something I refused to miss! I have learned in life that some milestones, especially concerning our children truly can not be missed no matter what. I told my Docs out there that I will be leaving no matter what to make it to her Birthday Party and then I will return right after if need be. Anyway with that said..

When we returned home at 9:00 PM there was a message from the Mayo asking me if I could take a Mayo Medic Flight out there today. I called them back and said sure. I then asked why the rush and Doctor told me he would talk to me about it when I get to Mayo. I dropped it. I figured I have enough anxiety about all of this, no need to have more. I then spoke to Jerry after this and let him know what I was doing. He said I was in good hands. ( By the way I did call Mayo and they do have this light thing everyone is speaking about) Thank God! So the Mayo Plane will be arriving at 3 PM at Trenton airport and I should be in Rochester ,MN by 6 PM.

I will try to give all an update and Jerry does have my cell number as well. Thank you all for your support.

Oh...sorry JoAnne...Mayo has said if it is Cancer that they would do the surgery and such but Memorial Sloan is also excellent as well. Plus it's alot closer to me then MN. Thanks for the info!

Jennifer

#23464 06-17-2007 04:54 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Wow Jenn-that must've been the most nerve-wracking phone call ever. I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Please keep us informed.

SCC-tongueT3N0M0- IMRT 35times-1/07-3/07; along with one cycle of Cisplat & one cycle of Carboplat; weekly erbitux.finished all tx.3/07-supposedly gone. Recurrence 6/07. Age 31-non-smoker/social drinker. Devastated it's back.
#23465 06-17-2007 12:51 PM
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Sorry for the delay, Jen. I just saw your questions, the answers to which are:.

No, only the tumor and some surrounding tissue was removed.

For the biopsy, the area was slightly numbed with something topical, and snip, snip, some pieces were removed. Put in some gauze, pat me on the head, and I was out of there. Not in the least traumatic physically.

If you have any more questions, I will be happy to answer as far as my experience with the same type of tumor goes.

#23466 06-17-2007 02:55 PM

Hi Jenn, wow what a roller coaster ride, I really feel for you. The 10th birthday party is an important event and good for you for being there. Please let us know what they say at the Mayo clinic and what the next step for you is. We'll be thinking of you. Regards JoAnne

JoAnne - Caregiver to husband, cancer rt. tonsil, mets to soft palate, BOT, 7 lymph nodes - T3N2BM0, stage 4. Robotic assisted surgery, radical neck dissection 2/06; 30 IMTX treatments and 4 cycles of cisplatin completed June 06.
#23467 06-17-2007 03:32 PM
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

As Jenn said, we spoke twice yesterday and by now she is at The Mayo Clinic. She was going to come to my office on Wednesday, but this quick change in plans ended that plan.

If I hear from her and she hasn't gotten to the forum, I will post a message from her.

I had never heard of the Mayo Medic Flight, but this certainly helphed Jenn out, as she was scheduled for a commercial flight on Friday and now she is there already.

Jerry

PS Joanne, Jenn lives in Princeton. We never discussed exactly where.

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"
#23468 06-18-2007 07:31 AM

I was very nervous about my biopsy Jenn, but it was the best thing that could have happened! I was just called one lunchtime and told to just see the Maxiollfacial surgeon and he did the biopsy there and then--I had local anaesthetic injected inside my mouth and cam out with 4 stitches which felt a bit weird! But once the bruising went down, my face has actually shrunk back to normal--I have less pain in jaw and less head pressure and far more movement! I took painkillers for 5 days, then was amazed as the pressure eased--best I've been for months!
Good luck,
Brenda

Brenda in UK--Diagnosis 30/5/07--undifferentiated carcinoma in right jawbone and muscles. Stage 4
6/7/07--new diagnosis primary is in lung. Finished 4cycles of palliative carboplatin/gemcitabine
therapy September 07
Now dying to live!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37