Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#23386 06-06-2007 09:42 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline

Thank you Petey, I just hope we can get something done. There is no excuse for what cancer patients have to go through to be heard and get help. The stress this is putting on our family, and most of all my husband, isn't good at all for his condition. Just makes his health worse, he has almost come to the point of giving up, he said, "by the time, if it comes, that I get help, the cancer will be far worse and the treatment won't help. I'm a dead man." To hear my husband talk like this, makes me want to fight even harder than hell to get him better.

GOD Bless the ones helping, bending over backwards to contact others on our behalf, and lending their support. You are God sent.

Husband age 48, diagnosed 5/10/07 with stage 4 mouth cancer, surgury not an option, teeth removed 6/21/07, 5x wks of rad with Cisplatin 1x week for 7-8 week course starting 7/10/07. Update 02/25/08 right maxillectomy and right infratemporal fossa resection
#23387 06-06-2007 10:12 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

WMC TV5 is the NBC here in Memphis Petey. I used to go to Sunday School with the news director, but I understand he has left, so I do not have a contact for your reporter....

18 YEAR SURVIVOR
SCC Tongue (T3N0M0) diag 06/2006.
No evidence of disease 2010
Another PET 12-2014 pre-HBO, still N.E.D.

�Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. It matters that you don't just give up.�
Stephen Hawking
#23388 06-07-2007 05:21 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Good evening everyone! My husband and I live in Central North Carolina. Yesterday, we were told that my husband, who is 76 years old, has "invasive mandible squamous cell carcinoma". An MRI is being scheduled, so it will be a while before we have any idea what to expect as far as treatment. I feel very fortunate that I have found this site and hope that it will help us as we walk through this valley. Thank you for allowing us to join you! Lois and Buzz

CG to 77 y/o hubby;SCC Alveolar Ridge; Wake Forest Baptist Hosp surgery: 07/19/07; bi mod radical resection/jaw replacement;
T2 N2-B M0 Stage IV-A
28 IMRT +
6 Paclitaxel/Carboplatin
Getting stronger every day!
#23389 06-08-2007 10:05 AM

Hello Emmylou1951 aka Lois and Buzz

Welcome to the Oral Cancer foundation website. You have come to the right place for help, information and compassion. We are sorry you had to join us but we will help you get thru this disease. We will hold your hand and walk with you. You are not alone.

I just sent you two E-mails that will help get you started and it will familiarize you with this site.

Post back here with any questions you have. Once you read my E-mails you will understand this forum a little better and should post in the "Introduce Yourself" forum.

All this is explained in the two E-mails I sent you.

You can E-mail me or post here if you have any questions about how to navigate this site.

All questions about your diagnosis of SCC should be posted here.

Good Luck and We are looking forward to helping you through your journey. Sincerely, Petey smile

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#23390 06-08-2007 10:26 AM

TKay2001

Have you made any progress of any kind. I have not heard back from Tim Malloy. Please keep us posted.

Call me anytime, (you have my number) I am always here. If I do not answer, leave a message. I will call back shortly.

I am working on a few idea's for you. I also have a full plate to contend with here, but by no means have I put you on the back burner.

***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#23391 06-08-2007 04:45 PM
OP Offline

Nothing really new here Petey, I got your email and video, thank you so much. Vanderbilt did call and got info for financial assistance, with the way our luck has been, not getting hopes up. Have not received and responce back from emails sent, but that doesn't surprise me either. Please let me know how you are doing and what you are up to, know you are busy now, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Also everyone please call me Laura and my husband's name is Oscar..should have posted earlier.

Husband age 48, diagnosed 5/10/07 with stage 4 mouth cancer, surgury not an option, teeth removed 6/21/07, 5x wks of rad with Cisplatin 1x week for 7-8 week course starting 7/10/07. Update 02/25/08 right maxillectomy and right infratemporal fossa resection
#23392 06-09-2007 05:18 AM

Hey Oscar and Laura

I just sent you an E-mail. Hopefully we can get a response some time Monday.

Don't ever give up, and keep fighting. I know it seems hard but you can do this. You have a big support team here. Hang in there.

Write any questions you have right here. You can ask anything from A to Z or just vent. As we say here, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask...

Wishing and Praying for you. Petey

#23393 06-09-2007 06:07 AM
OP Offline

Just read your email Petey, thank you soooo much. Hopefully we will hear from someone soon. Something needs to happen and soon, it seems like he gets worse everyday, and the pain he is going through. We post more later.

#23394 06-13-2007 08:26 AM
OP Offline

Ok, here we go, another update. After having many doors slammed in our face and being treated like we were garbage by our local offices, we may have made progress. Husband had to quit his job today, we took his discharge papers to DHS for tenncare and they wanted us to come in for another interview in 2 weeks..WTF..we were just there last week. SOOOO, I called Social Security main office in Nashville, they are going to call husband within 2 days and let him apply over the phone for his disability and insurance. Then Vanderbilt hospital called and we have an appointment with radiology oncologist, this Friday. Don't know what they will do as this is our first visit with them. Also, got him and appt with oral surgeon in Memphis for June 19 for the teeth. Seems like I have spent the last week on the phone, things are slowly happening. I am tired of them dragging their feet, while I watch him go downhill. The hydro was giving him a headache and they switched him to darvocet, which doesn't give him headache, but makes him feel high and isn't helping the pain. Hopefully things will start rolling in the right direction, I am at my wits end.

#23395 06-13-2007 10:57 AM

Hello Laura and Oscar

I am so glad you have had something positive happen. Doesn't it suck (excuse me) that he had to quit his job to get help? Believe you me I went through enough WTF"s to last a lifetime.

Here is the positive thing. Once you see the first doctor you are "in the system" they have to take care of you.

When SS calls make sure you explain to them that he has cancer and that they would not help him because he was employed. That is why he quit his job. Also, he would not be able to work once he had started treatments. My doctor wrote on a RX that I would be disabled for 6 months. He will need that long to recover after the radiation.

I am not a doctor, and have not been through this. (Just starting) But I read this on this site. You can do a search here on radiation and you can verify what I say is true in most cases.

As far as the medication he needs something much stronger. Again YOU MUST put your foot down. Look the doctor in the eye and tell him Oscar has cancer and is not getting treatment. Therefore he is not getting better, he is getting worse. They gave me percodan and they did not help. Then percocette. Then I went on line and printed out from the RX book and he wrote me a RX for Oxycodone 30 mg. That did the trick.

DO NOT let SS give you the run around. I hate to bring it up but you must tell them he has a 40% to 50% shot at this. He must not be turned down. (DO NOT READ INTO THE PERCENTAGE ASPECT, EVERY CASE IS DIFFERENT)

Laura...You are handling this as best as possible. Try to relax a little. You have made great progress. Once he starts treatment the sinking feelings will ease up. You have done everything possible. Continue to be the loving wife you are to your whole family. You are the "glue" holding everything together right now. My prayers are with you.

I will write back shortly. Petey

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics