Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
OCF Founder
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

JT2 - were you seen at the BC Cancer Agency? I am curious since OCF is adding a new science advisory board member this month, the first from outsdie the US, Dr. Miriam Rosen from there. She has been at the forefront of research on tissue flouresence (the loss of whch is an indicator of potentially compromised cells) and has begun to set up a really brilliant idea, a group of dysplasia clinics in BC to follow people with precancers to ensure that they are not lost in the dental or medical world, and they end up in treatments at the earliest moment in time. We are very lucky to have someone of her caliber associated with OCF.

Your observations about people who come from the cancer experience are spot on. I never cease to be amazed at the caring efforts of the people that come back to these boards to help others behind them. Welcome to the family.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

JT, thank you for sharing your experiences with this forum. My husband has T4A N2B. You just give me an abundance of hope. Thank you again for sharing. Carol...

Carol CG to Husband age 60 Stage IV SCC right tonsil T4AN2B tx rad x 35 chemo x 2 Currently after treatment no sign of cancer in throat. (all clear to date)
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Hello JT. It's good to have you here. There really does seem to be a waiting period for oral cancers. It seems like quite a few people spend alot of time waiting for the symptoms to go away. I think it could be a couple of things. One, there are so many other things that could cause soreness in the oral areas, and two, it's more comforting to assume soreness or sores are coming from colds ect.. than to think Cancer. My personal experience was I had sore throat but not virus type sore. It was just aggrivating like it was possibly being caused by allergies. I really didn't pay any attention to it because the allergy problem in my area has been getting worse over the past couple of years.

Last Oct., I raised my neck to shave and noticed that it seemed swollen on the left side. After two months of bloodtests, antibiotics, and a FNA biopsy that came back negative my ENT said he wanted to do a surgical biopsy because the node was not going down. Then we found the cancer. It took almost three months from the time I noticed the swelling but I had the soar throat for awhile. It would come and go though. I don't think that you or anyone else is stupid, we just don't think of having cancer, or maybe just don't want to. I am sure that as cancer becomes more widespread people will start thinking of it alot quicker. Also hopefully Dr.s can get on the same page. It seems the more rural the area the less the dr.s are up to date on the advances in treatment ect. Thanks for coming and offering you experience. That's what life is about, people helping people.

Lee, age 33, stage 4a, T2N2bM0, Tumor left tonsil (removed), 2 left side nodes removed (poorly differientiatied)total of 3 nodes involved. Treatment IMRT x33/ 2x Cysplatin completed. Good Health and Good Help to you.
Lee
JT2 Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Thank you all so very much for your kind words and thoughts. You have made me feel very welcome, a feeling I have not experienced a lot of since being diagnosed 2 years ago. It seems that cancer patients can easily detach themselves from the real world as basic survival becomes paramount in their minds.

Frankly, I never really considered myself a patient of any disease or illness throughout most of this ordeal so far, but then every now and again the truth about my health condition would sneak past all my mental barricades and confront me with stark reality. But that sense would pass after a few moments, and I would recede back into my cave to continue the battle against those mutant cancer cells.

There is an abundance of hope available to those who believe hope is possible, and that they are worthy of same. The biggest source of hope, in my opinion, is one's own mind, and once that power has been identified, harnessed and then ultimately focused, there is no limit to what one can accomplish. I am reminded of the wisedom in the statement "There is only 6 inches that separates you from your objectives - the distance between your ears !"

I set one major goal following the presentation of my treatment plan, and that was to "survive my third chemotherapy session." I had heard that many did not have the strength to attend their third session, not to mention what one is told about possible side effects.

The thought of vomiting has always made me nauseous, and I will do almost anything to avoid it. Cisplatin can cause severe nausea and vomiting, and so I needed to really prepare my mind in advance of scheduled treatment. I developed such a phobia that I needed a well defined goal in order to envision success, and I am happy to report that I sailed through all 3 chemo treatments without so much as a single queesy moment as far as vomiting was concerned.

I cannot explain my body's reaction to the Cisplatin any other way than attribute it to the existance of a powerful mental attitude. I don't know what kind of a show I put on in front of my nurses or fellow patients, but we all had a lot of laughs chasing the vomit gremlin out of our hospital ward !

Brian, I cannot say enough about the Fraser Valley Cancer Centre. For those not familiar with the facility, it has just celebrated its 10th year of operation, and is highly regarded as a first rate cancer treatment and research centre in Canada and throughout the world.

This may sound kind of goofy, but I actually looked forward to my daily radiation visits primarily because it was a hotter than usual summer in the Greater Vancouver region in 2005, and the building itself is such a pleasant place to be on a hot summer afternoon. Of course I'd rather be sailing, but the FVCC has very little in common with any other typical health care facility I am familiar with.

Comfortable, open, architectually refined with lots of natural cedar wood, plants, skylights and creature comforts, and to top it all off, a whole bunch of high performance, cancer-killing equipment well hidden from view. Its a well balanced, purposeful environment in my opinion.

I do not recognize Dr. Rosen's name, but if she is anything like the almost 300 other health professionals who work at the FVCC, then you will have made an excellent choice. How they managed to attract so many like minded individuals into such a sensitive workplace is beyond me.

Anyway, I really look forward to getting to know the members of this forum, as well as becoming familiar with their stories. Perhaps what I am most excited about is the opportunity to share what worked for me with others who are still mounting the fight or seeking an alternate approach to winning the battle.

I have plenty of energy and a burning desire to kick this beast's butt as best I can, whenever and wherever I can. Fortunately you will be glad to know that my "power off" switch is conveniently located and easily accessed, which I need help turning to the "off" position should I wander off the path of reasonableness.

I would like to thank you all again for introducing yourselves to me, and making my visits something to look forward to.

This disease is no match for us humans once we get our collective act together. That's what I truly believe is the essence of our global survival. That, and a generous helping of positive thinking.......

Kindest regards,
JT2

Age 55 at Dx,smoker 30 yrs ago, drinker 8 yrs ago; Stage 4 Squamous cell carcenoma T4a N3; 35 radiation tx, 3 chemo w/ Cisplatin, radical neck dissection,40 hyperbaric dives pre-surgery. Clinical remission since May 2006; Update: declared cancer free July 16, 2010! Miracles can happen...
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

JT2,
I can't wait to share your story with my mom. I know, I need to update my sig line...still waiting for her surgery to take place...
My mom is a character also-she hid her issues from herself and others. I am her first born and happen to be a nosey sort who notices everything, sound, color.... She has been beating herself up for about 8 wks now because she smoked 1.5 packs of winston daily for over 40 years. She hates going to the dentist so she 'took care of things' herself. She has a partial plate which she was wearing with a wax tooth holding it in place in the front--she was very proud as she had constructed that tooth herself. She ignores a lot of what her body was telling her--actually, probably screaming at her. She is the most wonderful person I know and tries to see the light side of things....here and now she isn't finding much light, but I know she will again, once we get her back on track. I look forward to sharing your posts, as along with the replies with her, I have been telling her that her mind is her strongest advocate--besides me of course!
Thank you. Donna

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics