Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#23200 05-14-2007 03:24 PM
OP Offline

I'm Susan, and I have only known I've had cancer for about a month. I am not sure why I was so surprised... to say the rate of cancer in my family is high is an understatement. Lost my dad, his three brothers, and my mom's two brothers and her sister to the disease. Oh, and a cousin.

I had a tonsil removed March 30 and the biopsy came back as Nasopharyngeal carcinoma, epithelioma-like carcinoma. After a whirlwind of doctor appointments, I'm now in radiation treatments.

Today was my 10th treatment out of 35 (no chemo, thank god!). While I can handle the pain of where I am today, it frightens me to think how much worse this is going to feel 25 treatments from now. I am not sure I have the stamina to take this.

My eating habits are all upended, as daily things are dropping off my menu. I feel like someone has stripped the lining in my throat with industrial-strength solvent. And I'm not even a third of the way into this.

I'm trying really hard to keep working through treatments; fortunately the cancer center in our town is only a mile and a half from my workplace, so I've been using my lunch hours to get my treatments. I've only worked at this place of employment since last September, and have virtually no accrued vacation or sickleave time to speak of.

It almost frightens me to read the other posts on this forum because I realize how much worse it can get. I feel like such a weenie because in comparison, I'm probably going through a pretty mild bout of this nasty stuff. But I'll buck up and keep plodding through this, one foot in front of the other. Someone I know is fond of saying, "Walk to the edge of the light that you see," because once you get to the edge, you'll be able to see just a little further and will be able to keep on walking.

Is there any artificial throat slime I can take to make my throat feel not so violated? That's the hardest part; even though the radiation is targeting a tumor which is between my nose and my mouth, the residual damage being done to my throat is the most painful.

Well, now that my whining is done, I hope I can contribute in some way. (Sneezing... now THAT is a new adventure worthy of the Marquise de Sade.)

Thanks in advance for all the support. I am learning now what questions to be asking my doctor. Trouble with being new to something like this is that you don't know what you don't know.

Blessings,
Susan (Joylight)

Nasopharyngeal carcinoma, epithelioma-like carcinoma. (T2ANOMO IIa). Completed 35 rad treatments June 19, 2007.
"When god closes one door he opens another; but sometimes it's hell in the hallway."
#23201 05-14-2007 05:07 PM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Susan

Dont ever aplogize for whining , or for feeling that what you are going through is any less then what the rest of us had or have. We all have diiferent Diag & Tx and we all handle things differently and we all have different personal issues and so on and so forth. SO none of us are any better of then any other. We all have the disease and we all want to beat it ! That is what we have in common...And you have come to the right place for information and support ! I am not personally aware of the effects of Rad, as I didn't have it , But you can find lots of information here, I can say as I understand it ..it does get worse before it gets better ...But in the end it will all be worth it . I have to say that it is nice that you are so close to a cancer center ,,,that is a def plus. But mainly you are right one foot in front of the other and ONE DAY AT A TIME AND SOMEDAYS ONE MOMENT AT A TIME ! And knowledge is power ...the more you know the better of you are . SO best wishes to you and may you keep finding the strength you need to get through this !

SHAR

Sharlee
35 year old Female Non smoker, very occasional alcohol ..Scc T1N0M0,partial glossectomy and left neck disection ,2/9/07 No rad deemed ness. 4/16 tonsillectomy ..Trimengenial Neuralga due to surgery
#23202 05-15-2007 01:45 AM
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)
"OCF across the pond"
Patient Advocate (1000+ posts)

Susan ,i echo what Shar says .Dont EVER be afraid to have a moan.what you are having done is is torturous and i applaud the fact that you are still working after 10 treatments.Please speak to your Oncologist and i am sure they will do all they can to help with the throat even if it is only pain medication .Robins Oncologist admitted it was all they could do to try and keep him pain free.Dont suffer in silence ..Remember its the squeeky wheel that gets oiled first.!!!

Liz in the UK

Husband Robin aged 44 years Dx 8th Dec 2006 poorly differentiated SCC tongue with met to neck T1N2cM0 Surgery and Radiation.Finished TX April 2007
Recurrence June/07 died July 29th/07.

Never take your eye off the ball, it may just smack you in the mouth.
#23203 05-15-2007 02:46 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Susan,

We all went through the ordeal and we all whinned at times. It's good to get it out and it's good to have a receptive ear so whine away.

As far as the artificial slime, the only thing I found to ease the torture was different "mouth washes", like Biotene, Oasis (both are available OTC from drug chains) and Miracle Mouthwash which is something you need a prescript for and your local pharmacy makes up. I will tell you that nothing really gets you back anywhere close to what normal used to be so don't expect that and just hope that one or all helps.

What we go through from the 3rd week of tx to the 3rd week post Tx is probably the most intense discomfort period in ours lives but it is only 6 weeks and you do survive and you do walk or crawl out of that dark tunnel and you do feel almost normal again. I am coming up on 9 months post Tx and it gets more difficult to remember details of torture so that's agood thing.

Remember to help yourself by drinking at least 48ozs of water and consume at least 2000 cals of food each and every day and don't think that if you fall short today you will make it up tomorrow because tomorrow never comes. Force yourself to meet those goals every day.

Oh, and yes, you are a weenie. I should know because I was one too or at least I felt like one.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#23204 05-15-2007 02:52 AM
Gold Member (100+ posts)
Gold Member (100+ posts)

Just a suggestion my husband is taking Codeine for the pain (side effects include constipation) and MUCOSITIS mouthwash which freezes the mouth and is swallowed and freezes the throat and a stool softener for the codeine. This Mucositis is a blessing as it freezes everything a can be swallowed. Prescription reads 15 Ml every 4 Hours when needed. There is also a rinse that he was using which is water and baking soda before and after meals. Baking soda can also be used a teeth cleaner. Hope it helps..

Carol CG to Husband age 60 Stage IV SCC right tonsil T4AN2B tx rad x 35 chemo x 2 Currently after treatment no sign of cancer in throat. (all clear to date)
#23205 05-15-2007 06:32 AM
Platinum Member (300+ posts)
Platinum Member (300+ posts)

Hi Susan,

My husband is 2 1/2 years post treatment, but I can remember it vividly. He only had radiation too and I'm not going to kid you, it's tough. But you CAN do it. What we learned the hard way was to keep consistant on the pain meds. Set your alarm, whatever you have to do, but don't let the pain meds wear off.

My husband has a very physical job and he was able to work for about 5 weeks into the treatment and then he had to take a break. It was just too much. But then again, others here have been able to continue working. I think it depends on what type of work you do.

Best of luck to you. Please remember one thing....there is light at the end of the tunnel. My husband is 2 1/2 years cancer free and doing great (knock on wood)!

Take care,

Shelley

Caregiver to husband Ron. Throat Cancer. Finished 35 radiation treatments on 11/21/04. 8/2/11 small lesion on lower gum, laser Procedure to remove. 3/6/12 Doc. removed another lesion on outside of his neck. Did a skin graft from his chest to replace the skin on his neck. Went to Heaven on 6/24/12.
#23206 05-15-2007 11:31 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hello Susan

When giving advice, someone once told me "know what you know, and know what you don't know! One thing I do know is that I will be transformed into a "weenie" by Thursday evening. And also that you just got good advice from the above posts.

Welcome to the Oral Cancer Foundation website! smile

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#23207 05-17-2007 12:46 AM
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Dear Susan,

My husband had radiation only too

Barbara S
C/G to Michael age 64, stage 1 base of tongue SC cancer and a stage one for a couple lymph nodes, diagnosed 09/12/06, IMRT radiation 10/24/06 to 12/05/06 , last PET / CT scan 11/7/11 - still cancer free!!!
#23208 05-17-2007 01:54 AM
Gold Member (200+ posts)
Gold Member (200+ posts)

You might try small amounts of mineral oil for short term mouth and throat lubrication. I did it on occasion while in Tx per advice of one of many nurses.

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.
#23209 05-17-2007 07:47 AM

I only met with a rad onc today, my mom has bot cancer. He gave her a tube of lidocaine...maybe a spray of this could help? I have no idea, only making a suggestion. I'll pray for you for endurance...God Bless and keep a positive spirit.

Donna
CG to Mom, dx 4/25/07 with tongue cancer,T3N0,tx began 7/6/07, 31 tx's of IMRT, 8 cycles of Erbitux. Brachytherapy, surgery, left neck dissection and temp trach placed all on 9/17/07, trach removed 10/17/07. ORN of jaw, late effect of radiation symptoms. **lost my beautiful mother on 5/5/11.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23