Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Barney Offline OP
OP Offline

When was the last time you were able to swallow anything? When were you able to nourish your body with something other than liquid Ensure or Boost-via stomach tube? When were you able to move your head without excessive pressure in your neck? Incapable to open your mouth more than a half-inch or speak without spitting matter and with a raspy voice? I cannot swallow even a drop of water without choking. My energy level is flat-out gone. I find it difficult to walk around the block.

It has been over two years since Dr. Sinha of the USC Medical Center in Los Angeles removed a malignancy from the base of my tongue. I

"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

Hello Barney,

Welcome to OCF. I am sure you will get some answers to your Questions and lots of help.

The situation of being so tired. Have you had your Thyroid Checked? This is a problem that most of us have low thyroid or no thyroid.

As far as the neck muscles and stiffness. These need to be stretched. So start every morning turning your heard each direction. Hold it there for a few minutes. Do this 3 time and do them at night too. You will feel it pull That is good! Try and go farther on the stretch each week or two. You can also do the stretches in the shower. Hot shower always help loosen the muscle.

Swallowing is always a problem. Have you looked into having your throat dilated? I have had mine done once and it really helped. I may have to have again. It is not uncommon for Oral Cancer patients to need this type of treatment.

Hope this will help you some.
Take care and once again Welcome!
Diane

2004 SCC R.tip 1/4 tongue Oct. 2005 R. Neck SCC cancer/Chemo Cisplatin 2x/8wks. Rad. Removed Jugular vein, Lymph gland & some neck muscle. TX finished 1/20/06... B.Cancer 3/29/07 Finished 6/07 Bi-op 7/15/09 SCC in-situ, laser surgery removed from 1st. sight. Right jaw replacement 11/3/14. 9 yrs cancer free as of Jan. 2015
Supporting Member (50+ posts)
Supporting Member (50+ posts)

Neck pressure is a problem for me also,I found massage therapy very helpful, it loosens the soft tissue around the neck muscles. Look for someone who has experience with massage therapy, manual lypmh drainage and cancer. Very important!
Perhaps your physiotherapy people could reccomend someone for you.
I also hope this is helpful to you. I wish you well.

Adele,
mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the submandibular gland, 05/06, left neck dissection, gland and tumor removed, intermediate grade, margins negative, 9 lymph nodes negative, no rad, no chemo,
11/07 surgical biopsy of lymph node left neck, no cancer!
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hello Barney

Welcome to the Oral Cancer Foundation Forum. Click on the faq at the top of the page, it will help you learn about this website.

There are two search engines here. One at the top and one at the bottom of each page. I have not had any of your symptoms as I am just starting my treatment. I am supprised that not that many people answered your questions yet?

Click on "search" at the bottom of this page and type in "trismus". Do the same at the top search.
I believe most of your problems can be helped by stretching exercises. Your mouth problem seems like trismus. (lock jaw) Read the search results and try the suggested exercises.

It would help if you added your Tx & Dx in your signature box. In the "General Board" forum there is a topic titled "how to get the most out of this forum". This will also help you a lot.

Is your PEG tube permanent? There is so much we do not know about you to help answer your questions.

To me, not being able to open your mouth (trismus) is the most serious of your symptoms. I feel it would be best for you to make an appointment at your VA Hospital and go over all these problems and get a doctors advice, and have the Dr. prescribe some physical therapy. Read and try the information you will find in your search answers.
Please report back. Open a new topic in the "After Treatment Issues" forum. Tell us about your "journey" and ask any questions you like. Looking forward to chatting with you in the future. Good Luck, Petey

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07

Hello Barney

I came accross this topic and felt it could help you with your trimus.

Good Luck with all your challanges. I hope this helps.

Two Threads for You to Read....

Good evening Forum;

Has anyone had any experience with the Therabite system ? From the research I have done to date, it appears to be an affordable solution to those who suffer from trismus (reduced jaw movement), and I was hoping to get some user feedback.

Thanks in advance for any input or comments.

JT2

Hi JT,

If you go up to the "Search" button at the top of this page right under the words "post reply" and then type in the word "therabite" you will get 54 matches. Select all open forums in the drop down list before doing the search.

You will find that this topic has been discussed many times and I'm sure you will find a great deal of information there.

Jerry

Sincerely, Petey

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums23