Next Thread
Print Thread
#23020 05-11-2007 11:03 AM
mshoe Offline OP
Contributing Member (25+ posts)
OP Offline
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Hi,

This is my first post. I'm 65 years old and have never been sick. I eat very well and exercise regularly. I did smoke for far too long (30 years) but quit 15 years ago. I do drink but not to excess... wine with food. I love to cook.

I noticed a lump in my neck one day last winter and eventually was directed to get an MRI and take it to an ENT doc. He removed my left tonsil, told me it was cancer, and referred me to a radiation oncology group in a nearby comprehensive cancer center.

I started reading everything I could find on the web and somehow stumbled on to the OFC site. It has been enormously helpful! I can't thank you enough!

This site gave me the information I needed to ask questions of both the radiation oncologist
and the medical oncologist and to raise the level of discussions that we have. I also
found answers to my questons on PEG tubes, treatment issues, etc. Thank you! Thank you!

I'm particularly interested in the viral link to these cancers. All of my life I have had outbreaks of herpes simplex on my face, not little cold sores but great oozing sores. I've been taking Acyclovir daily for 5-6 years since one outbreak moved into my eye and caused some minor cornea damage. I've asked to have my tumor tested for HPV.

The diagnosis is Stage 3 SCC located in my left tonsil, base of tongue, and one left node. I am enrolled in a Phase III Cinlical Trial sponsored by the RTOG (Radiation Oncology Therapy Group) designed to test the effectiveness of adding Erbitux to IMRT and Cisplatin therapy. I am in the group that gets the Erbitux.

I have just finished week 1 of a 6 week treatment program. So far so good. I'm tired and my mouth is dry. I don't feel much like eating but I can and do... except for very dry foods. I do have a PEG tube.

I'll send progress reports and probably questions too.

marilyn

dx: Stage 3 T2N2aM0 Left tonsil, base of tongue, 1 left node. HPV positive.
tx: Tonsilectomy (left) then Cisplatin x2, Erbitux x7, IMRT x35
Phase 3 clinical trial. Completed 6/28/07
#23021 05-11-2007 11:31 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Welcome marilyn
What they say here is you have been "lurking" in the backround. laugh I'm so glad this site was helpful to you. And it will continue to be. If you go to the "General Board" forum, there are about 4 new posts about the HPV virus. Keep us posted. Sincerely, Petey smile
PS: In the General Board forum, read the thread "How to get the most out of this forum". There may be a few things you have not taught yourself about this site.( 2 search engines here )

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#23022 05-11-2007 04:24 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi, Marilyn, Like you, I stumbled on this site [when my husband was diagnosed in 2005] and I have always gotten more information here than I ever got from John's Docs.and more help with practical solutions to various issues] Have you "read up" on the potential effects of Cisplatin on hearing loss or hand tremors, could that affect you adversly? and I hope they have prepared you for the possibility of the Erbitux rash so that you will be ready to deal with it if your body reacts that way. By the way, I'm 66 + yrs. old, so if you ever want to commiserate about age, let me know smile Thee are lots of good people here to talk too. Wishing you the best. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics