Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#22896 04-27-2007 04:12 PM
OP Offline

Hello,

My name is Michelle and my Dad has stage 4 squamous cell carcinoma of the pharynx with lymph node involvement. I am ..... sad. I am hopeful.... I am scared.

He was diagnosed at the end of January. He has received three courses of "TPF Treatment". As I understand it, this is a relatively new combination of chemotherapy drugs developed at Dana Farber that has shown promising results. He is scheduled for his fourth and final round of the TPF treatment in about a week and a half. The treatments have been administered by IV every 21 days and last for 6 days each. My dad has experienced some real and significant improvement from the treatments in terms of swallowing and speech. Before the treatment you could hear the obstruction in his throat in his speech. This is no longer so. He has however, suffered from exhaustion and weakness throughout the process. I understand that this is to be expected.

The next step is radiation in conjunction with chemotherapy. To date my Dad has undertaken his therapy with a very positive attitude, which is great. He does, however, seem fairly leary of the radiation.

I was at an appointment with him and his oncologist recently. The doctor said that my dad's cancer is advanced and agressive and that he is treating him to control rather than cure the cancer. This was the first time that I had heard this information. We requested a CAT scan to gauge how effective the treatment has been. The doctor agreed to give him a CAT scan after the forth round of chemo but he asked "What if the scan shows little or no impovement or if it shows metastesis?" I was pretty floored. I had assumed that this "new and aggressive" treatment would promise some definitive results. I know each individual is different, but....

I have been reading posts here for the last few months and have found them very helpful. I guess I am looking to find out if anyone else is familiar with the treatment my dad is getting or if anyone else has had a similar diagnosis and course of treatment. Any advice?

Thank you,

Michelle

#22897 04-27-2007 04:37 PM
JAM Offline
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Michelle, while I cannot respond to the treatments your Dad is getting for his cancer, I can reluctantly respond to the other part of your dilemnma. It seems his Doc is saying this is incurable. You can certainly seek a second opinion about his condition. If that opinion concurs, then you will have the chance to begin a dialog with your Dad [and other family members] about how to proceed for this point on. The attitude of all of the Oncologists and chemo Docs we were involved with was to keep administering treatment as long as the patient was willing to endure the process. In some cases, that goes on too long and serves no purpose. This is a very tough and scary position for youall. Wishing you the best. Amy in the Ozarks

CGtoJohn:SCC Flr of Mouth.Dx 3\05. Surg.4\05.T3NOMO.IMRTx30. Recur Dx 1\06.Surg 2\06. Chemo: 4 Cycles of Carbo\Taxol:on Erbitux for 7 mo. Lost our battle 2-23-07- But not the will to fight this disease

:

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics