Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#22861 04-27-2007 07:49 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Hey MK.
If you have questions about yourself it helps if you keep them in "your" posts. This way all your info is in one place. If you post "all over" we will not have your whole story. Look at the different type of forums and post under the appropriate one. Now that you have introduced yourself you may want to start a new topic in "currently in treatment". Name it something like, "Just starting radiation" Then write your question. You can respond to anyone you like, but do not post your questions in someone elses post. Keep surfing the different forums and see what people write in them. We were all where you are at one time. In a week you will have this forum mastered. Go open a new topic in currently in treatment, then put in your questions. Everyone here wants to help you get through this. And there are many different types of oral cancer. Looking forward to answering "your" questions in "your" post. Sincerely, PeteyB smile

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#22862 04-27-2007 07:59 AM
OP Offline

I am surprised you havnt startd trtmnts yet.
me, they wanted like yesterday.
I assume you have had an MRI - so they know exactly where to focus.
you can ask what the total RADs are going to be.
should not be much more than 3000. I have been told by 5 docs that mine was over done. thus more colateral damage.
you will lose your saliva for a while - they say 3 to 5 years - but suposdly will return. brush you teeth A LOT ! ! ! believe it or not - 95% of your teeths protection comes from saliva. you can try the over counter products that say will help with low salive - didnt work for me but must for enuf others that they sell it.
if you notice ANY problems during treatmnt - DO speak up -
the chemo isnt so bad - its the later thats nasty with the vomiting. the throat is sore from the rad so it makes it worse -
get some ensure plus - or walmarts equat plus(cheaper and exat same stuff) I have been liveing on it for 11 years.
you may have to have a tube put in for feeding - not a big deal - no pain and makes feeding easy.
the whole thing will just be - routine - its that simple.
Speak up if something does not seem right ! Its your body and dont feel they are gods just people that have studied a lot in one area and they do make errors in judgment - only human.
the face mask will be fun - its amazing stuff.
hahaha I dont know what stage 3 is but it seems (vague memory) low so you should do well.
good luck
ted
:-)

#22863 04-27-2007 08:28 AM

Ted, what do you think about the "obturator"? PeteyB

DX 3-21-07 L tongue,SCC Stage IV (T3N2MO) TX Slash/Burn/Poison Method.
***Rapid Aggressive Recurrence 8-4-07 with same DX/TX. Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh. Never Give Up! ****UPDATE**** Our dear friend Petey passed away, RIP 9-2-07
#22864 04-27-2007 09:12 AM
Contributing Member (25+ posts)

Thank you TedKenneth,

That helps a lot

Oral Squamous Carcinoma in the right tonsil, Surgery April 5th 2007, Non Smoker, Stage 3. Started IMRT treatment May 30th.
#22865 05-18-2007 03:23 PM

Ted,

A few suggestions... My mom has the same problem with all liquids coming out her nose. She swallows and leans her head back (staring at the ceiling... This helps cut down the nasal exit. In addition, she eats and enjoys ice cream. Of course, it has to remain cold because as it melts, it eventually starts coming out her nose. Put the bowl in the freezer first... This will keep the ice cream solid while you eat it...

Paul

#22866 05-18-2007 09:20 PM
OP Offline

I dont have to lean back - just straight ahead.
if she is new to this, just takes practice.
Of course I am talking a SMALL amount of fluid.
they will be no beer drinking contest here...
I would guess,, maybe a spoon full at a time.
you just learn how much will go before it doesnt.
hahaha
Ice cream - love the stuff - maybe should have said that in past tense - which makes me tense....
being a milk product - creates flem that does not go down normally like normalish people - so thats out cept for maybe a taste LOL
If your mom - during one of her ENT checkups has the doc say she has a lot of flem in her sinus - I have the fix for that. do it every morn in the shower. cleans out the back of the throat and nose quite nicely.
get a mouth of water - gargle forcefully - close lips and tip forward while gargleing - just flushes it all out the nose - I do it three times and it really is clear.
since I live on 6 cans of ensure plus per day - some of it gets up above the soft palat - this flushes any that is there.
this all seems gross - but it works and the ent does not have to suction it out before exam.
ted
:-)

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37