Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
John N Offline OP
Gold Member (100+ posts)
OP Offline
Gold Member (100+ posts)

I had IMRT 3 years ago and only have 1 saliva gland and have been sporadiaclly using the dental trays with floride. I was wondering how some long term (5+ years after radiation)folks teeth have been holding up with the reduced saliva, if some have experienced any advance decay from the reduced saliva and if any one had problems did they use the trays with floride.

SCC R-Tonsil T2 NO MO Dec 2003. Completed IMRT Radiation only to tonsils(72Gy) and neck(55Gy)March 04. Detected at age 50.
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)

Hi John,
I have 4+ years with similar conditions, tonsil treatment, IMRT and I see a hygenist 4 times a year, rather than the 2 that insurance pays for. I still floss daily, use a Water Pik and in home flouride treatments. I have had a few filings replaced and some minor repairs. They have started using digital xirays to visualize areas that they cannot see (like plaque buildup between the teeth)and the hygenist does below the gumline cleaning, with ultrasonics as well. Certainly the radiation was very hard on the gums and I have grown much "longer in the tooth" as a result. The roots are far more vulnerable and you have to even more diligent with oral hygiene - and for life at that.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

John,

I was treated 18 years ago -- had at least one salivary gland removed during surgery and most of the others fried during radiation (that was long before the days of IMRT or amifostine). Over the years, it's been a combination of water, Salagen, Biotene products, and sometimes sugarless gum that have helped keep my mouth reasonably moist.

I brush my teeth at least 3x daily (mostly with an Oral B Plaque Remover electric toothbrush), use fluoride fairly frequently, floss every day, and have cleanings every 3 months. (I have a regular rotation where 2 of the 4 annual cleanings are done by my periodontist's hygienist, so I get his examination at the same time.)

I'm now 57 and still have all my own teeth. From time to time I've had fillings done, and a couple of gum grafts, but haven't needed any extractions so far.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

John, I received traditional radiation to cure my tonsil cancer more than 5 years ago and lost all my saliva glands. I am glad that I still have all my teeth alive today without using any tools or medicine to keep them. Like Cathy, I brush my teeth after each meal and before sleeping. My teeth decay faster than healthy people and so I need to go to the dentist more frequently and have more fillings done. I refrain from eating sour or sweet food or drink and if I do, I will brush my teeth immediately or rinse my mouth with water, if I am not home. I often take sugar free gum to moisten my mouth and this can also help clean up my teeth a little bit.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.

Hi John,

You don't mention if you are experiencing any major decay problems or maybe you are just looking down the road. You have gotten some very good home care advice from 3 members who obviously take their situation seriously. You can never do too much in the way of caring for your teeth.

As Gary points out, the roots of the teeth are more vulnerable to decay than the crowns which are covered with enamel. Roots have no covering that is strong and somewhat decay resistent. Use of flouride trays will be helpful for the roots, as well as the crowns.

Gary, I have a question for you. Were you told that digital x-rays will show plaque on the teeth? I can't imagine that this so, but if you were told this, I would be very interested in doing some research on this.

Karen, I have a question for you. In regard to sour foods, were you told that these foods cause cavities? Again, I would be interested in checking this out.

Cathy, great toothbrush. I use the same one.

I do learn so much from this forum and there is always room for more knowledge. When I read something that I have never been taught or heard of, I feel compelled to "check it out".

Thanks and good luck John with your home care.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

"Whatever doesn't kill me, makes me stronger"

Oh they definitely do -I saw it for myself. It was really not the plague on the visual surfaces as much between the teeth. If their mechanical probe would catch on something they would x-ray it. They watch me very closely. My dentist has every high tech gadget available: computers in each exam room, , HIS/RIS patient database and electronic retrieval of all patient records, scans, x-rays, etc. Porecelain, laser, CAD/CAM crown/filing manufacturing machine.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)

I see and I think what they were referring to was calculus (tartar) which is visible on regular x-rays as well as digital x-rays. Plaque, being a sticky film of bacteria, is not visible on any type of x-rays. Please understand, I'm not being picky, just concerned that incorrect information might be posted.

Jerry

Jerry

Retired Dentist, 59 years old at diagnosis. SCC of the left lateral border of the tongue (Stage I). Partial glossectomy and 30 nodes removed, 4/6/05. Nodes all clear. No chemo no radiation 18 year survivor.

wilckdds.
Yes, the dentist told me to refrain from eating both sour and sweet food or drink. I know that lemon tea is particularly bad for teeth.

Karen

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.

Thanks Karen.

Keep those emails coming.

Anyone else want to join our email swap club? So far it's Karen, Gary and me. We are very selective. Nothing offensive.

Jerry

Jerry

Yes is was calculus, but I could have sworn that they said it forms from plaque. I trust your expertise.

Gary Allsebrook
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics