Thank you all for your responses. I'm under no illusions that this will be an easy road at all. Even though I have only just joined here, I have done a fair bit of research on the internet and I know that nutrition will have to be a major focus.
On my first visit in to the Peter MacCallum Clinic where I will be treated I was seen by the dental oncologist, and she was due to remove one of my molars, but after x-rays decided it would stay. New fancy electric toothbrush and pharmacy only super-fluoride toothpaste will help my teeth immensely. She warned me that my saliva glands will stop functioning properly and the need to keep hydrated for the sake of preventing tooth decay.
I was called in for an MRI on Thursday, and my radiation oncologist rang yesterday morning (Saturday) to say that it showed to be a bit more extensive than they first thought, and the tumour is putting pressure on my jaw and tongue nerve. But it hasn't move to the bone or neck. She will now have to radiate the whole throat rather than just the left side she was hoping for and there may be chemo involved as well. I find out more on Tuesday.
I'm not surprised by the findings, as all along I have thought that there is more happening in there than they realise. Now that they know they can get cracking and treat it. I have a positive attitude to what is going on and I'm not going to go down the road of self-pity or depression. My wife needs me to have a positive outlook and it isn't my nature to have anything else.
smile