Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22381 02-27-2007 10:32 AM
doris Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello, my name is Irene
My husband has just been diagnosed with SCC. He is 57 years old. From when he had his CT scan to having a biopsy, it has taken five days. We are meeting with his doctor and oncologist tomorrow.

His first complaint was a lump on the left side of his neck, which was very tender, the doctor arranged a CT scan, then he had a biopsy. (Will have the results from this tomorrow) The primary site is on the base of his tongue. The tumour is slightly smaller than a sugar cube. They have told us they will not be surgically removing the tumour, but will treat it with 5 radiation treatments per week, plus one chemo per week. The surgeon will later remove his lymph node after treatment has finished. 18 months prior to this he suffered a heart attack. He is very fit, (lost over 35 lbs) complete change of lifestyle and now this. He does occasionally drink, used to smoke, but only socially.

We are both from England and presently residing in the USA.

Any suggestions or advice anyone can give us would be greatly appreciated. I am trying to make a list of questions to ask the doctors tomorrow.

Thank you.

irene
#22382 02-27-2007 11:46 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (300+ posts)

Irene,

I'm sorry you and your husband are having to deal with this, but you've come to a good place to get the information and support you need.

Is he being seen at one of the major cancer centers? There is a list of them under "Other Resources" on this site (here's a link to it:
http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/index.htm#centers). With this type of cancer, it's really important to get the expertise of a head and neck tumor board representing the various disciplines: radiation, chemo, and surgery, as well as dental professionals.

Radiation in particular can take a toll on the system, even in otherwise healthy patients. It's important to keep up with daily nutrition and hydration goals (there should be a nutritionist available to help with specific dietary recommendations). The effects of radiation usually take awhile to show up, so he may have 2-3 weeks where he's feeling OK, and then suddenly notices changes such as loss of taste, fatigue, mouth sores, thick mucus, and swallowing problems. His medical team should help stay on top of the situation and be prepared with medication for pain management.

If he's working now, he should have a contingency plan in place with his employer to take some time off, if necessary. Different people have different responses to this kind of treatment -- some are able to work at least part time during some or all of it, while others find it impossible (this can also depend on the nature of the job).

Try to read up as much as possible on the posts on this site. There are many people here who have made it successfully through the kind of treatment your husband is facing, and have posted suggestions about how best to get through it. Feel free to check back here often with your questions and concerns.

Cathy

Tongue SCC (T2M0N0), poorly differentiated, diagnosed 3/89, partial glossectomy and neck dissection 4/89, radiation from early June to late August 1989
#22383 02-27-2007 12:31 PM
doris Offline OP
OP Offline

Thank you Cathy. We are currently being seen at the University of Wisconsin Hospital. They told us that they used the Mayo Clinic and a Hospital from Chicago to obtain second opinions etc.

Irene

irene
#22384 02-27-2007 12:35 PM
Senior Patient Advocate
Patient Advocate (old timer, 2000 posts)
Senior Patient Advocate

irene,

As suggested, you need to be seen at a major cancer center if at all possible. I would ask to be tested for HPV as it may be the culprit to why he has this cancer. If he is HPV+ studies have shown that removing the nodes may not be necessary and that is worth looking into.

As you can see my Dx was very similar to your H's and I was told surgery was not needed so for his sake please inquire.

Repost after you know more and you will get all the info you need.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#22385 02-27-2007 07:48 PM

RT /ct, without surgery, is pretty standard for base of tongue cancers according to the NCCN Oncology Practice Guidelines. See Orph-4 http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/head-and-neck.pdf

Also, University of Wisconsin is a Comprehensive Cancer Center. They see over 500 H&N patients a year. See: http://www.uwhealth.org/servlet/Satellite?cid=1103038108482&pagename=A_UWH_HOME%2FAArticles%2FuwhDiseaseDetail&c=AArticles

In my opinion, for what it's worth, it serves the patients better if we do our homework on whether they are already at a CCC rather than scaring them into thinking that they might be getting bad medicine. There is a list of CCC's and CC's on the home page. http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/index.htm#centers

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#22386 02-28-2007 03:45 AM
Senior Patient Advocate
Senior Patient Advocate

gary,

When you suggest that we do our homework to see if the poster is already at a CCC and you refer us to the OCF's resourse index for centers which I think is a admirable suggestion, however unless I overlooked something, Univ of Wisconsin is not listed.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.
#22387 02-28-2007 04:03 AM
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)
"Above & Beyond" Member (500+ posts)

David --

You're right: University of Wisconsin is not listed on the inital page you come to when you click that link above. You have to click on the "Resource List" link under "NCI-designated cancer centers" at the top of the page. Univ of Wisconsin is on that list.

Here's the direct link to the NCI-designated centers: http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/resources/cancer_centers.htm

-- Leslie

Leslie

April 2006: Husband dx by dentist with leukoplakia on tongue. Oral surgeon's biopsy 4/28/06: Moderate dysplasia; pathology report warned of possible "skip effect." ENT's excisional biopsy (got it all) 5/31/06: SCC in situ/small bit superficially invasive. Early detection saves lives.
#22388 02-28-2007 05:11 PM

Link directly to current NCI list of CCC's and CC's:

http://www3.cancer.gov/cancercenters/centerslist.html#L33

Link to NCI program description and definitions:

http://www3.cancer.gov/cancercenters/description.html

You can rest assured that I do my homweork on these things.

Perhaps you have NCCN member institutions (of which there are 20 currently and all are CCC's) confused with NCI's listing of CCC's of which there are 39. There are also 22 Cancer Centers.

About NCCN: http://www.nccn.org/about/default.asp

Splitting hairs here, Brian and I both were treated at NCCN member institutions - he at MD Anderson and myself at UCSF.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)
#22389 03-01-2007 02:55 AM
doris Offline OP
OP Offline

Hello again,
We saw the Doctor and met with the radiologist briefly. We were told that his stage is T1 N2B. He will undergo radiation and chemo for seven weeks. A molar tooth in his upper jaw (left side, same as the cancer) has dropped down about 1/4 inch, they said that there was a cyst in his sinus cavity, and that it was almost certainly benign. We will be meeting again with the radiologist either later this afternoon or tomorrow to go through the treatments, dental work etc. that needs to be done. Thank you everyone, I am so glad that I found this site. I certainly don't feel so alone now.

irene
#22390 03-01-2007 08:00 AM

Hi Irene,
This is a consensus of your medical team? Has there been a tumor review board? Has he had a baseline TSH and hearing (audiology) test? PET/CT? These are some questions to ask. Teeth removal can be tricky as well. If you are in doubt or not confident, about any of these issues, ask for a second opinion.

We are also here, with our experience, strength and hope, for you. Things typically move very quickly at this point.

Page ORPH-2 are the current NCCN recommended treatment choices for your general information in the link below:

http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/head-and-neck.pdf

Gary Allsebrook
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Top Posters
ChristineB 10,507
davidcpa 8,311
Cheryld 5,260
EzJim 5,260
Brian Hill 4,912
Newest Members
Jina, VintageMel, rahul320, Sean916, Megm37
13,103 Registered Users
Forum Statistics